Saab J35Oe Draken - Austrian Airforce 1988 Eduard/Hasegawa 1/48 - finished

Exdraken is going to do a Draken! wow! Surprising myself here.  ;)

and an Austrian on on top :)

I is going to be the  very first one touching down in Vienna Schwechat Airport in 1988

story unfortunately in German:

https://www.bundesheer.at/cms/artikel.php?ID=2512

draken_1988.jpg

https://www.bundesheer.at/pool/img/draken_1988.jpg

those Austrian Draken were actually refurbished Swedish J35D models with the more modern 2 piece canopy from the F/J, but retaining the 2 30mm Aden cannons from the D

have a close look:

extra fuel tanks usually only seen on Swedisch Recce Draken (as far as I know at least!)

no Mk.2 modifications as of yet, I think also no large dayglo numbers

(the MK.2 mod essentially where RWR and chaff/ flre dispensers inhereited from retired Danish Drakens in the late 1990s)

I am going to use Eduards Limited Edition boxing, because it has all it needs. Maybe I add some additional things later on...

IFGmGBy.jpg

MQtkcAs.jpg

owLbi8H.jpg

a month to go... seems do-able :D

optimism rules! 

• Like 10

did start here already! :) 

and found some additional AM parts lying around waiting to be used :D

CgseZoq.jpg

obligatory Master pitots,  Xmold XMM seamless intakes LINK, Aires nozzles and fin.

especially the intakes are of intrest I think:

71lbD6G.jpg

no glue yet, 

fit seems good, and no trimmig is needed on the plastic parts!

lMnHjxy.jpg

a bit more focus please next time!

ZnGlnzB.jpg

started glueing some essential parts ;)

M6Wbf8j.jpg

but still need to search for a second pair of tanks!

• Like 5

the fin improvement

also is much better then expected!

ZemB45H.jpg

this aux intake really has depth.... apart from the fact that the rudder is seperated as well. i hope the fin tip fits nicely too!

• Like 6

On 25/11/2021 at 22:17, exdraken said:

extra fuel tanks usually only seen on Swedisch Recce Draken (as far as I know at least!)

Extra fuel tanks were sometimes used on the J35J as well, since they also hade the plumbing in the wings for it.

That fin and intakes are really something to try go get when building a Draken!

Have you tried to get hold of the drooped flaps?

All SAAB aircraft droops after engine shut-off...

Good luck with the build!

• Like 1

Gee that Draken boxing looks familiar........

so do some of those Aires bits........and yes save yourself the pain and ditch those control surfaces....... they're Aires and will probably be a right bugger to get to fit correctly! The new exhaust cans are nice, I tried to fit some interior PE detailing into the exhaust housing, then tried to fit the new exhausts........needless to say the PE bits caused more trouble than they were worth and have been removed.

The new tail does look nice, same with the intake, least now it'll have proper depth to it.

Will good luck with this one, look forward to following the progress and seeing her in the gallery....... hopefully if mine stops fighting and screaming it may join yours there.

• Like 2

Great to see another Draken in the GB Werner, and very appropriate for you too 😉.

The resin intakes really do look very nice and as Chris says they look like a better fit than the kit's original ones! The tail is a big improvement over the kit one too and again seems to have a slightly better fit.

The Draken looked great in the Austrian grey scheme and I am sure that yours will look great too.

• Like 1

anyone up for some Draken walkaround and cutaway?

http://kitchecker.de/walkaround-saab-j-35-oe-draken/

you can' get much more detail, can you?

flaps at rest

http://kitchecker.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Saab-35-Draken-19.jpg

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

..and yes save yourself the pain and ditch those control surfaces....... they're Aires and will probably be a right bugger to get to fit correctly!

how could you possibly know Rich? ;) any previous experience with Aires resin products?

:D

the inner flaps look fantastic in size, the complicated outer ones are really small :(

rpicOWa.jpg

lets see!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

little progress only to report..

PE trailing edges:

FSy7J8O.jpg

Aires nozzle:

FaJQFjn.jpg

and a bad photo of it painted:

w7yixtA.jpg

additional Eduard PE detail is "just" visible (thanks for the warning regarding fit issues :thumbsup:)  definitely too tight everything....

dBagaEA.jpg

currently I am preparing the cockpit, in order to close everything!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Can I ask what the idea is with the PE trailing edges of the flaps?

Reality!

j35_mkii_draken_04_of_39.jpg

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason4/j35_mkii_draken/images/j35_mkii_draken_04_of_39.jpg

Hope you can see it in the pic above, the trailing edges are not sharp edged  but have a rather prominent structure. If you stand behind one, that is a rather prominent feature!

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Ouch, that resin shrinkage looks extreme  but you persevered anyway. You're a brave man!

Not sure yet if I will ...I fear quite some fit issues :D

• Like 2

I had the same problem with Aires outer flaps. Seems to be a common failure on these... Looks great anyway! Watch out for the gun inserts. I guess that you have built this one before, but the fit issue is easily solved with hot water and a brush (or something similar). Just heat them with water and press them to something round, and then you will have a perfect fit.

35956475830_9596ff9487_c.jpg

Here I have a few more tips for those building this kit, experiences that I have made during eight or nine 1/48 Hasegawa Draken builds. Unfortunately only in Swedish, but I hope you can pick up at least something: http://bjornsmodeller.blogspot.com/2018/07/hasegawa-draken-i-148-snabbkurs.html?m=0 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Looking good - and those Austrian ones had nice colours. :)

Christer already mentioned the J 35Js and 4 external tanks so.. I took a look in my box of the same Eduard version you have.. But sadly I gave away my tanks when I sold a recce Draken.. Otherwise you could have gotten mine.. But i will check my big bitz box too..

11 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Christer already mentioned the J 35Js and 4 external tanks so.. I took a look in my box of the same Eduard version you have.. But sadly I gave away my tanks when I sold a recce Draken.. Otherwise you could have gotten mine.. But i will check my big bitz box too..

thanks a lot, no worries! I build a Finnish one 🇫🇮 (Buffalo Special!) without tanks, so I must have a pair somewhere!

fuselage looks rather ok, some slight sanding will be necessary on the intakes.... I was a bit too quick with the Superglue ;)

UWSlLCQ.jpg

cockpit has depth :thumbsup:

rDCvIjZ.jpg

cJVGLiV.jpg

h4LHE3q.jpg

• Like 8