Simple table top photo booth and scenic backdrops (photo heavy :)

Kelscale

When I finally made space for a dedicated photo area in the mancave in 2020 I spent quite a while playing with lighting, white balance, and model placement. I took many pics of built kits that had never been photographed in isolation and it was great to keep a record of all the kits that had never been recorded.

I had spent a while searching the innerweb for recommended equipment but in the end, I realised space limitations meant I could only accommodate a tabletop set up.  With that in mind I ended up with a relatively inexpensive bit of kit. Purchased from the same well know UK retailer the lights are https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/mobi-led-table-top-led-panel-twin-kit/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhf2MBhDNARIsAKXU5GQ3SvG39PYiPHlaq6VktUoUp2oRCXDybhyPN37jiEGhuDGgnZscJdIaAlprEALw_wcB and I also purchased their table top background stand and (wipe clean) PVC white sheet. https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/table-top-background-stand-with-white-pvc-background/   I already had a spare magnifying LED light, so this was used for the overhead light source. I plan to replace the overhead light and to eliminate the stark shadows I am still experiencing, I would have really liked some diffusers but, I am yet unable to source some tabletop ones.  Any advice on how to improve on that or does anybody know of any tabletop examples? 

One thing I really liked, was modellers utilising scenic backdrops, so I went about taking a few outdoor pics in my local area with my DSLR.  After a little manipulation in photoshop and some infighting with my printer, I managed to print a few pics onto some A4 sheets.  Placed behind the model and using some imaginative camera angles it was possible to get some relatively good shots.  The trick is to then blend the background into the groundwork the model sits on.  Again, a photo app will make things simpler.

What I did appreciate is some of my older and much simpler finished builds with monochrome paint schemes really worked well with a background. 

I’m hoping to get a few more scenic photographs onto background sheets soon as it’s a lot of fun incorporating them behind AFV models

A few examples of pics taken with this set up

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And with the scenic photo backdrop

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One of my oldest completed builds that had never been photographed

spacer.png

Edited by Kelscale
  • Like 9

I recently made a little studio in a cupboard in my workshop. I used a daylight LED bulb and to soften the shadows, I made a defuser from a sheet of tracing paper taped to a wooden frame, suspended between the diorama and lamp. When needed, I've added extra lamps to give a more all round illumination. Generally, I prefer a single light source, as the Earth only has one! I shoot everything in RAW format as it gives more control over the shadows and highlights.

studio6.jpg

studio5.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Kelscale said:

I’m hoping to get a few more scenic photographs

try here

https://m.geograph.org.uk

Has 1000's of landscape photos,  while doing your own is great, it's  limited by what you can physically get too,   this has a huge archive,  so can take a bit of searching. 

Hard to beat natural light though. 

49927192631_dd29d579b6_b.jpg

This was taken on point and shoot Concord digital camera, which cost £5, (inc post)  off ebay,  base is a very faded and grubby green baize topped card table I found, had put out for rubbish.  The backdrop is the park opposite me,  with low diffuse sunlight.  I have a storage box which I sit the table on flat, so I can get low to subject. 

I did the prop on brass rod and tubing, so it spins freely, and the wind caught it.   

A considerably more refined approach is explained here, 

photos have gone, but are on  the website link,  and this set up has produced some great looking photos. 

Note the comments on spreading the background image over several A4 sheets. 

Your photos look great.  :goodjob:

I used a couple of simple boards propped up.  Backscene is a mid Grey painted board with a couple of adapted b&w photos held on with Blue tac.  Deck is a simple mixed Grey paint scrubbed on (remains of various match pots) with a white stripe.

This picture was taken outside in bright sunlight using my Canon Powershot mounted on a tripod.

50786342161_0bb7a2d8cd.jpg

Hope it helps..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IanC said:

Fabulous models and photos there. 

What camera do you use? I'm thinking of getting a DSLR - not just for models - to replace my Canon SX700 point and shoot.

I would have a look at Mirrorless cameras, that's where the best choice and latest technology is these days.

4 minutes ago, Tijuana Taxi said:

I would have a look at Mirrorless cameras, that's where the best choice and latest technology is these days.

Yes, you're right and I have been. Not sure I can afford one at the moment though. 

• Like 1

You don't need technology to take good photos. I still have most of my pro gear and the bodies are between 9 and 11 years old. It's much more important to know your camera inside out and know how to use it.

@IanC Ian, if you want an SLR on a budget, consider a second-hand one a few years old. Have a look at what a few reputable retailers have listed online.

Edited by Ade H
tag

5 hours ago, Ade H said:

You don't need technology to take good photos. I still have most of my pro gear and the bodies are between 9 and 11 years old. It's much more important to know your camera inside out and know how to use it.

@IanC Ian, if you want an SLR on a budget, consider a second-hand one a few years old. Have a look at what a few reputable retailers have listed online.

Yes that's true. And a path I may go down. I've been out the game for a long time. I sold all my kit (35mm film) a long while ago. Since when it's been a few point and shoots. I've been looking at a Nikon D3500 which I know is an entry level DSLR but probably all I'll need now.  

• Like 1

I can second @Kelscale's recommendation (see links above) of the Pixapro PVC backgrounds.

I've just received the gloss black and matte white versions via Amazon (same retailer, but slightly cheaper). They are nice quality (covered in a protective film); neutral bright white and pure black; and are easily cut down if needed. I was using a roll of white craft paper, but it's not bright white enough and I always needed to add a curve and tweak WB.

• Like 1