Well, I ride on a mailtrain, baby Can't buy a thrill - Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1

AliGauld

1 minute ago, Serkan Sen said:

Good choice to build Alistair. I haven't seen this kit before. Definitely I will buy one asap. I will be following with great interest...

Serkan

Thanks Serkan,

It may take some time but I'm hoping to do it justice.

If I do make any errors* I'll show them and hopefully that will be useful.

Cheers,

Alistair

* Who am I kidding I'll stuff up numerous times along the way. :D:poo::banghead:

• Like 2

Liking this. I have this kit and want to see more of then going together.

28 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Good choice to build Alistair. I haven't seen this kit before. Definitely I will buy one asap. I will be following with great interest...

Serkan

Be ware, there have been a few builds noting bent frames and parts in that kit. Not too bad IMO as mine has some slight warping as well, but very manageable. Apparently Airfix's quality control was a little off on this kit.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Liking this. I have this kit and want to see more of then going together.

Be ware, there have been a few builds noting bent frames and parts in that kit. Not too bad IMO as mine has some slight warping as well, but very manageable. Apparently Airfix's quality control was a little off on this kit.

I had a quick look at the sprues side on and there isn't much warping on mine.

Certainly nowhere nearly as bad as the Revell Shackleton that I did at the start of the year.

I got lucky again as I've seen some horror stories.

19 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Tagging along for this one as I've got the RN FG1 that I'm hoping to tackle in the near future.

Welcome aboard.

I've got the FAA FG.1 as well and am hoping to use this one as the learning process.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Welcome aboard.

I've got the FAA FG.1 as well and am hoping to use this one as the learning process.

Ha, I'm doing exactly the same with my Airfix Buccaneers - currently building the RAF machine first to hone my better work for the Senior Service!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Ha, I'm doing exactly the same with my Airfix Buccaneers - currently building the RAF machine first to hone my better work for the Senior Service!

I did the FAA Bucc first as I couldn't wait to build it and finished it off long before Airfix released the RAF version.

Cheers,

Alistair

It looks like I've got lucky again.

I was reading a build review of Black Mike and it said that there was almost no stencil data on that version of the airframe.

So, off I went hunting to see if that was true and all the pictures I can find show that it was.

All I can say is Phew........ :pray:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, mark.au said:

Not my usual thing but I have an inexplicable interest in an FAA Phantom, this might just get me over the tipping point to buying one…. Followith interest!

Glad to have you here.

Cheers,

Alistair

I've been night shift since Saturday night so not much to report.

Some colour has been flung around various bit of plastic.

CEZ2PjS.jpg

CGApUke.jpg

2ULexEq.jpg

4EXWa9e.jpg

Ecolsz1.jpg

9C8xxP3.jpg

I'll get the decals on and some details painted tomorrow.

Then I might actually get something stuck together.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

On 11/26/2021 at 7:55 PM, Thom216 said:

Be ware, there have been a few builds noting bent frames and parts in that kit.

Yes I had an "S shaped sprue" on an RN version of this kit. I didn't notice at first, but into the build the fit with the wheel well / lower wing component was off. It looked absolutely fine and I put it down to a mistake I must have made and cut the part to fit. But when I came to try fitting the cockpit tub in it was not even close🤏.  Again it looked perfectly OK on its own but when compared with the same part from another kit it was a different shape! Then when I checked the sprue I could see the warp which had only effected those parts in the middle. Airfix replaced the part no problem but I do wonder if this subtle warping is behind the occasional reports you hear of poor fitting in Airfix kits. In reality the tollerances are tight & fit should be perfect (and in my experience is) and if its not then worth checking for warping.    

I know it has its critics but I really like this kit, which  I think really captures the look and sit of the Spey F-4. Really looking forward to the end result 👍

Rich

https://tinyurl.com/3e3x9arj

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

A good start and any progress is good progress.

Thanks very much and you are right. 

It's a start.

2 hours ago, RichG said:

Yes I had an "S shaped sprue" on an RN version of this kit. I didn't notice at first, but into the build the fit with the wheel well / lower wing component was off. It looked absolutely fine and I put it down to a mistake I must have made and cut the part to fit. But when I came to try fitting the cockpit tub in it was not even close🤏.  Again it looked perfectly OK on its own but when compared with the same part from another kit it was a different shape! Then when I checked the sprue I could see the warp which had only effected those parts in the middle. Airfix replaced the part no problem but I do wonder if this subtle warping is behind the occasional reports you hear of poor fitting in Airfix kits. In reality the tollerances are tight & fit should be perfect (and in my experience is) and if its not then worth checking for warping.    

I know it has its critics but I really like this kit, which  I think really captures the look and sit of the Spey F-4. Really looking forward to the end result 👍

Rich

Thanks so much.

I've seen some horror stories and pics of the warping and all looks ok here. I've done a fair bit of dry fitting and it all seems to go together.

I am in no way a Phantom expert, I just loved watching them from the box but I'm hoping to get something Phantom shaped from the box.

Cheers,

Alistair

A little more done today using the hairy stick and some transfers applied.

YfXWuvn.jpg

2UFjGxh.jpg

zyK5Kaj.jpg

qxoIwBo.jpg

0EK6IvO.jpg

All that's to be done is a light drybrush, wash and maybe some work with the Posca pens.

Then I should be set for some glue.

Thanks for looking, 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

Right, I thought there was no point in putting this off because I was scared of the process.

Time to get on with it.

dWnN8gc.jpg

No going back now.

p8mU6RS.jpg

omXRh6A.jpg

o8g3J14.jpg

I've done some dry fitting and all looks good.

Once the glue has had time to cure properly it'll be Filler Time.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Looking good.

Kit design has certainly come a long way since “Cement left (7) and right (9) fuselage halves together, trapping cockpit and arrester hook between them”.

I hope all those pieces fit together well!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1