1/72nd Airfix Mosquito, conv to PR.XVI using a Freightdog Models resin set, wearing the markings of the 25th BG, USAAF at RAF Watton, 1944.

Hiya Folks,

Yes,.... another new Airfix Mosquito,...... this time I used another Freightdog Model conversion set for a B.XVI to build it as a PR.XVI, NS569, coded `N' of the 654th Bomb Squadron, 25th BG USAAF based at RAF Watton in 1944 with it`s characteristic `red tail adopted by US Mosquito`s. This aircraft had a rare style of national markings seen on a few aircraft, where the stencil marks were not painted over and it was named `Camila'. Photos can be found in the Osprey Mosquito PR Units of WW2 book, plus the Ian Allen Mosquito at War, here is one of them;

large-000000-1.jpg

And this shows how the painted out RAF markings often looked;

AMosquito-PRMk-XVIofthe654th-Bomb-Squadr 

The model was brush painted using Polly Scale PRU Blue and the decals came from an old Ventura sheet, seen here;

V4857-2-T2.jpgV4857-3.jpg

Here is the WIP, along with another Mossie;

And here is the model;

DSCF2648-NEW.jpg

DSCF2650-NEW.jpg

DSCF2652-NEW.jpg

DSCF2639-NEW.jpg

DSCF2641-NEW.jpg

DSCF2646-NEW.jpg

DSCF2642-NEW.jpg

DSCF2644-NEW.jpg

DSCF2645-NEW.jpg

DSCF2654-NEW.jpg

DSCF2647-NEW.jpg

Here are the two kits that I built together;

DSCF2691-NEW.jpg

And all four of the Airfix Mossies that I have built so far;

DSCF2692-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

Yes,.... another new Airfix Mosquito,...... this time I used another Freightdog Model conversion set for a B.XVI to build it as a PR.XVI, NS569, coded `N' of the 654th Bomb Squadron, 25th BG USAAF based at RAF Watton in 1944 with it`s characteristic `red tail adopted by US Mosquito`s. This aircraft had a rare style of national markings seen on a few aircraft, where the stencil marks were not painted over and it was named `Camila'. Photos can be found in the Osprey Mosquito PR Units of WW2 book, plus the Ian Allen Mosquito at War. 

The model was brush painted using Polly Scale PRU Blue and the decals came from an old Ventura sheet;

Here is the WIP, along with another Mossie;

And here is the model;

DSCF2648-NEW.jpg

DSCF2650-NEW.jpg

DSCF2652-NEW.jpg

DSCF2639-NEW.jpg

DSCF2641-NEW.jpg

DSCF2646-NEW.jpg

DSCF2642-NEW.jpg

DSCF2644-NEW.jpg

DSCF2645-NEW.jpg

DSCF2654-NEW.jpg

DSCF2647-NEW.jpg

Here are the two kits that I built together;

DSCF2691-NEW.jpg

And all four of the Airfix Mossies that I have built so far;

DSCF2692-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Super

Alain

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MACALAIN said:

Super

Alain

Thanks Alain.

23 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That really is a thing of beauty.

Cheers,

Alistair

That is very kind of you Alistair...... thanks mate. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Mosquito there Tony, fantastic collection too

Thanks Russ, glad you like them mate,.... ta.

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thats a bit smart Tony, really nicely done.

A very nice collection of these new Mossie's you are building up.

Cheers mate,.... the Airfix is a very nice kit, if you know where the mistakes are they are easy to fix.

12 hours ago, IanC said:

Four? I've not even bought one yet. They do look good. Difficult to pick a favourite. 😀

LOL,.... glad you like them cheers,...... no need to pick a favourite,.... I never can! 

12 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Stunning collection of one of my favourite WW2 types!

Thanks mate,..... yeah me too,.... lovely looking aeroplane. 

12 hours ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic finish 

Cheers mate. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F-32 said:

Awesome work and a great collection

Thanks mate. 

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Loved watching all these develope Tony, and this is another gorgeous model, the collection looks fantastic too. Really great job.

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... thanks for the support pal. 

• Like 1

That's a beauty! I have never seen those strange US stars with the dark lines before bit they're clearly visible in the air-to-air photo so I take my hat off to you and Ventura for getting it right! The whole collection looks great together :)

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 12:38 AM, Wulfman said:

Marvellous Mossie, and a lovely collection, great modelling !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman, glad you like them mate. 

15 hours ago, Viking said:

Oh wow, another PR Mossie! Beautiful work as always Tony,.

Cheers

John

Thanks John,.... glad you like it,..... you cannot go wrong with a PR Mossie mate!

15 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

That's a beauty! I have never seen those strange US stars with the dark lines before bit they're clearly visible in the air-to-air photo so I take my hat off to you and Ventura for getting it right! The whole collection looks great together :)

Thanks mate,.... you can easily make those stars out on the ground photo framed by the B-17,..... I`ve only seen those stars on a couple of USAAF Mossies, the other had a radar nose. 

15 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Absolutely great!! Love the scheme.

Great collection too!

Miguel

Thanks Miguel,...... glad you like it,.... and the others. 

13 hours ago, occa said:

This is another fantastic build from you !!!!

Thanks Occa,...... that is very kind of you mate. 

• Like 1

That's a great looking Mosquito Tony. The addition of the red painted areas really sets it apart.

That's the first time I've seen the US markings in that style.

You've amassed a nice little collection of the new Mosquito and they all look fantastic.

Chris.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cngaero said:

That's a great looking Mosquito Tony. The addition of the red painted areas really sets it apart.

That's the first time I've seen the US markings in that style.

You've amassed a nice little collection of the new Mosquito and they all look fantastic.

Chris.

Thanks Chris,..... yeah the USAAF certainly blinged up the Mossie,..... but for once the South African`s of 60 Sqn (plus 680 Sqn?) outdid them with those white and red striped rudder and yellow spinners with D-Day style stripes too. You know me,.... Iike to model something just a little out of the ordinary,.... so those stars were ideal and I had wanted to model these for a while after I noticed them. 

Glad you like the growing collection,.... I have a Hasegawa and Tamiya kit at the painting stages and have just bought another Airfix kit,..... so watch this space!

• Like 1

Ventura decals? Now that's brave. I have only used one set and they were very thick and impervious to Micro-Set/Sol.  Those look great on your model though, and it never ceases to amaze me how good your brush painted finishes are.

• Like 1

I know I commented on this in the WiP & after doing some thinking about what I have in stock, no disrespect to Airfix mind, a Tamiya B.IV & Paragon engines with some carefully drilled holes & some Microscale Krystal Klear, I reckon I'd be in business.  :) :( but where is the fun in that, I still reckon I'll need a couple of the Airfix ones at least. :D 

BTW, I still reckon these are a bit awesome. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

I don't comment on your builds very often, Tony, but I do tend to come over and have a look when I notice yet another of your RFIs.  Well, all four look lovely, though I think I'd choose the Far East one, for whatever reason.  Looks like you managed a "personalized" one, too!  You almost manage to make the new kit look "buildable" 😉jj

bob

• Like 1