1/72nd Airfix Mosquito, conv to PR.34 using Freightdog Models resin set, wearing the markings of 58 Sqn, RAF, 1947

Hiya Folks,

The next conversion set from Freightdog Models for the new 1/72nd scale Airfix Mosquito is the PR.34 with its bulged bomb bay and extra cameras and I have used it here, along with a set of the enlarged 200gal under wing tanks which were often carried by this version, courtesy of my mate Lee, yet again,.... cheers bud!  I opted to depict RG206, OT-T of 58 Sqn RAF in its post war overall PRU Blue scheme, photos of which appear on page 147 of the Haynes Mosquito Manual, I was unsure whether the spinners were stripped back to bare metal, so opted to just retain PRU BLue spinners,.... if anybody knows what they were, I can easily change them. ll of the main decals came from the spars box, with just the stencils from the kit sheet and the model was brush painted.

Here is the WIP, where I built a pair of models,... to add to a previous pair I`d built.;

, And here is the model;

DSCF2663-NEW.jpg

DSCF2657-NEW.jpg

DSCF2658-NEW.jpg

DSCF2661-NEW.jpg

DSCF2683-NEW.jpg

DSCF2678-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF2675-NEW.jpg

DSCF2681-NEW.jpg

DSCF2667-NEW.jpg

DSCF2668-NEW.jpg

DSCF2672-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF2686-NEW-NEW.jpg

Here are the two that I built together;

DSCF2688-NEW.jpg

And all four of my Airfix kits,... so far;

DSCF2692-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

That's quite lovely Tony and it is good to know that another means of converting a PR.34 is becoming available as an alternative to the 'hens teeth' Paragon Designs set. They look great in PRU blue don't they?

Mark 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MACALAIN said:

Super.

Alain

Thanks Alain,

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

That's quite lovely Tony and it is good to know that another means of converting a PR.34 is becoming available as an alternative to the 'hens teeth' Paragon Designs set. They look great in PRU blue don't they?

Mark 

Cheers Mark, yeah it should be a popular conversion set and PR Mossies always look superb in PRU Blue.

1 hour ago, Hairtrigger said:

Great piece of work.... 

Thanks mate. 

1 hour ago, binbrook87 said:

Wow. That's another belting Mossie Tony. Looks fabulous in the PRU blue, and the 'mismatching' roundels on fuselage and wings look really great. I do like unusual schemes...makes for an interesting subject.

All the best. Graham

Cheers Graham, yeah Mossies look ace in overall blue and the mismatched roundels were what drew me to this aircraft,..... I was looking for one with thse roundels and when the codes were my initials T-OT,.... it had to be done!! 

8 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Yet another stunner.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair..... glad you like it mate. 

8 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Lovely work.  Looks great in PRU blue and takes its place proudly in an excellent Mosquito collection - well done!

Thanks mate,..... yes PRU Blue certainly highlights the graceful lines and I`m glad that you like them. ... cheers. 

• Like 1

Well done Tony another great looking Mossie.  Many years ago when I was in the Chiltern Scale Model Club we each built a different mark of Mossie for the Mosquito Museum at London Colney- I think I did the MK XX111.  It looks like you are doing them all yourself.  Look forward to seeing some more.

Colin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RMCS said:

Brilliant 

Thanks mate. 

12 hours ago, Remus389 said:

All of them look lovely 👍

Thank you, very kind, cheers.

10 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Well done Tony another great looking Mossie.  Many years ago when I was in the Chiltern Scale Model Club we each built a different mark of Mossie for the Mosquito Museum at London Colney- I think I did the MK XX111.  It looks like you are doing them all yourself.  Look forward to seeing some more.

Colin

Thanks Colin,..... I see you got landed with one of the more difficult ones then! No I onlydothe ones I like these days...... but I have others planned and another Airfix Mossie in the stash.

7 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Nice work - like the TOT codes too.

Thanks Ed,..... yeah I couldn`t pass that one up mate! 

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant Mossie Tony and good to see one with your initials on too, great work and finish as usual fella and love the collection too.

Chris

Thanks Chris,...... once I found the codes I just had to do it as it fitted the rest of the criteria I was looking for, mixed roundels and white codes. 

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Tony, and as @bigbadbadge Chris said that's quite a collection!

Cheers,

Roger

Cheers Roger,.... and glad you both like the others too,.... ta! 

• Like 2

Soooo, Wing Co Tony O'Toole !!

It's clearly your own mossie !!

Real great job, congrats !!

And I greatly appreciate the family pics !!

Super collection indeed !!

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Soooo, Wing Co Tony O'Toole !!

It's clearly your own mossie !!

Real great job, congrats !!

And I greatly appreciate the family pics !!

Super collection indeed !!

CC

LOL,.... Thanks mate,..... I was SO tempted to stick a Wingo`s pennant on the nose,..... hahaha!! 

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2021 at 12:41 AM, Wulfman said:

Lovely work !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman.

23 hours ago, David H said:

Beautiful model Tony, but....

Cliff Robertson 633 Squadron

LOL,.... Haha,.... yeah when I found this particular aircraft which matched my criteria of different roundels and white codes,..... it just had to be done,..... I was so very tempted to add a Wing Commanders pennant! Glad you like it. 

17 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

That is rather nice Tony and that last pic is superb, and because of that pic I feel like I want to build loads of Mosquito kits....I hate this hobby sometimes..🤪😆

I`m really sorry mate,..... I sometimes have this effect on people! Glad you like them and go and have a go,.... it is a nice kit, just be careful of the TT.35 errors.

15 hours ago, Viking said:

I just love a Mossie! fabulous collection you are building Tony, and the PR variants are amongst my favourites.

Cheers

John

Thanks  John,..... yeah I like the PR variants too,..... I currently have another one on the go using a Hasegawa kit, plus a bomber using a Tamiya kit! 

• Like 2