So I decided to actually do something rather than sitting around not feeling very well due to a cold.

Out with the disc cutter :rofl:

51705107645_99e34e2fd8_z.jpg

and I even assembled part of the replacement

51703423317_83de3f945c_z.jpg

The black sort of vertical lines are references for where parts are to go. I could possibly get away with moving the engine pack slightly forward as the helicopter now has a bit more weight behind the gearbox than there was before but I will probably keep it where it was as everything else such as the stub wings would have to be moved as well which is too much. The nose from the 56 will get replaced with that from the AH-1 as well. Not much done but it's a start.

Gondor

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

An interesting subject, mate. I remember seeing the Cheyenne lurking in a compound in Tucson in 1979. Maybe she got scrapped?

Martin

There are two Cheyannes at Fort Rucker, Alabama. Or at least there were when I took my instructor course there a little less than a decade ago.

Not much to show today as a lot of what I have been doing to tweaking cuts and preparation stuff such as putting some etch onto plastic card backing so I can make up panels and consoles.

Also finding that helicopter gunship turrets are a pain. They have to be virtually complete before you can fit them.

Might have something to photograph tomorrow.

Gondor

• Like 1

Work has been a little slow so far. As the build develops the problems mount.
I found that I had an Academy AH-64A (box code 12488) that I could use for several upgrades to the base kit. The cockpit interior has been shoe horned into the forward fuselage and this means that the forward fuselage from the AH-64 also has to be transplanted to allow it all to fit in, however this brings it's own problems as how I was going to mount the main gun is having to change as well as some of the forward cockpit area.

Gondor

Only little bits and pieces to show but some parts have been glued together so here are some pictures of where the fuselage is now

Rear cockpit inside fuselage

51724287370_b2c8dbaf1d_z.jpg

51723411276_69db4de24a_z.jpg

Front cockpit

51724287345_e38f76120a_z.jpg

and the parts posed together, lots more work to get done before the parts are glued together.

51723411311_3e8a7a3139_z.jpg

Next step is the get the kit's canopy to fit over the rear cockpit combing, then I can see about what I need to add/remove to get the front cockpit to fit.

Gondor

Yay.... progress

Managed to get the canopy onto the "new" cockpit interior. Nothing a bit of filing couldn't sort thankfully.

The nose will take a bit more work though

51727562774_1226d09071_z.jpg

but I have a plan to sort things out which also involves a lot of filler once I get the majority of the holes citted with parts I cut off earlier

Talking about cutting bits off  :unsure:

There will be a gun turret under the fuselage, the original had the turret but no armament so I am correcting that

51727157593_0e66af3dc7_z.jpg

51726909271_e200104e64_z.jpg

The above two pictures show part of the structure to hold everything in place. I had been wondering how to get this built and only a few minutes before I took the pictures did I come up with the solution which was simple and hopefully effective. Tomorrow I will add some superglue to the joints just to make sure.

Gondor

• Like 2

Oohhh! I like it! :thumbsup: Far different than the protoype I made, but that's just me being lazy! :whistle:

I've often thought about what changes would be made when going from a prototype to a production model :hmmm:- just look at the changes made to the F-35 - so I'm looking forward to seeing how you proceed! :popcorn:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

I love it. The Cheyenne was the coolest chopper never to get into production so combining with the Apache (Cobra?) is a great idea to bring it up to date.

Watching with interest

1 hour ago, The west wing said:

Interesting build, is the base an Aurora kit? I had a look in the loft as I thought I had one but no luck in finding it 🙁but I did find an Aurora X-18 convertiplane 😃

Yes it is. Re releced by ATLANTIS

Gondor

• Like 1

I'm so glad Atlantis rereleased this kit, and I'm super excited to see someone do a full-on later production model. Brilliant!

10 hours ago, The west wing said:

I did find an Aurora X-18 convertiplane 😃

I call that a win!

Managed to get the basics finished on the nose/Front Cockpit area.

51737540521_da2072876c_z.jpg

51736720612_616bc0fa41.jpg

The underside showing the mounting for the gun turret

51736720617_45f72603ca_z.jpg

51738185864_1bb926cbd3_z.jpg

51737779693_6a54753e6c_z.jpg

Still a lot of work to do but its getting there. The idea of the slightly complicated mounting for the gun turret is to allow the turret to rotate. There is movement but I think one of the pieces of plastic card should have been a few thou thinner.

Gondor

• Like 3

Now it's all green  :unsure:

It's not The HULK... it's the nose....

51755231034_52a10ce32f_z.jpg

51754589386_69c253c998_z.jpg

51754832498_63e020c3b5_z.jpg

51754832463_10021af808_z.jpg

Took some time to get it like this as I had to soften the filler because I don't get this far very often with my builds, they normally stall by this time.

Sanding tomorrow as that gives the filler plenty of time to dry, especially as I added lots of Liquid Poly to soften it up.

Gondor

• Like 5

Looking great, this is very exciting! Reminds me of how much I want to build an operational S-67 Blackhawk...  

5 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Now it's all green  :unsure:

It's not The HULK... it's the nose....

It looks like a pretty good colour match for him, though!

Edited by k5054nz

33 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

Looking great, this is very exciting! Reminds me of how much I want to build an operational S-67 Blackhawk...  

It looks like a pretty good colour match for him, though!

Zac, I plan to do my S-67 in Israli markings as one of their test piolets that flew it thought it suited their needs better than the AH-1

Gondor

• Like 1