MIG-23 wing tanks in 1/72

RidgeRunner

13 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all, 

Does anyone out there know where I can get a set of these (with pylons)? Thanks a lot.

Martin

Martin,

I may have a set from an old Hasegawa MIG-23 and MIG-27. Will be a few days due to not being back home yet.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

The Hasegawa (or Academy clone) MiG-27 centerline tank is almost correct for the PTB-800 wing tank. Except that the ends are slightly too pointy, and it does not have fins. So you need two MiG-27 kits if you want wing tanks on your MiG-23.

Altenatively Pavla sells a Su-17/22 drop tank set with two PTB-800s. The Pavla tanks are 8 mm longer than 4+ MiG-23 drawings, diameter is OK, nose and rear are more pointed. Photos confirm that the real tanks are more blunt in shape.

Rob

I have to disappoint you: my earlier statement that the Pavla Su 17/22 set would yield the correct tanks is incorrect. I just checked the 4+ booklets on the MiG-23 and Su-17/22, and both show 'PTB-800' tanks. I thought that would mean they are identical, but no, they are different. The Pavla set agrees with the Su-17/22 drawings, that's something. But the shape is just too far off for the MiG-23 tanks. Back to the MiG-27 kit centerline tanks, or start with another tank from the spare parts box, with a diameter of approximately 7.7 mm.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

Just to be clear, the Hasegawa and Academy MiG-27 kits have a sprue with two wing tanks and one centerline tank. But the wing tanks are anemic, at 6.9 mm diameter. The centerline tanks matches the 4+ drawing much better at 7.8 mm diameter. The difference is 13% in diameter, but 28% in cross section, and I think we 'see' the latter. Hence my strong preference for using two centerline tanks, with modified shapes at the ends and simple flat fins.

The runner with the tanks can be seen in this BM thread:

Rob

20 hours ago, Hook said:

Eduards 1/72nd MiG-21 contains a PTB-800 as well.

Cheers,

Andre

It does, but that is the centreline tank. The wing tanks are a different shape :) 

Martin

15 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

It does, but that is the centreline tank. The wing tanks are a different shape :) 

Ah!, I know but I was thrown off by Robs comment:

On 11/26/2021 at 7:20 PM, Rob de Bie said:

Hence my strong preference for using two centerline tanks

Cheers,

Andre

23 minutes ago, Hook said:

Ah!, I know but I was thrown off by Robs comment:

Cheers,

Andre

I agree, Andre. I was confused too because of the differences between the centreline PTB-800 and those on the wings. 

30 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I agree, Andre. I was confused too because of the differences between the centreline PTB-800 and those on the wings. 

I read it as "the centerline tank has a better resemblance to the real wing tanks than the Hase / Aca wing tanks".  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

On 11/26/2021 at 8:28 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Thank you Rob @Rob de BieThat would be fantastic! Thank you. :). I’m sorry Ron @f111guru but it looks like your offer won’t help me. I appreciate your offer, though.

Martin

Not a problem Martin. We do what we need to do to get where we like the finished kit.

All The Best,

Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1