We need a 1/48 Buccaneer

wschurr

RAF boxing released 1994 , RN & SAAF boxing in 1996 and a re-release in 2005 which some boxings at least contained two sets of parts for the price of one which apparently was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line and in my local modelling shop where I was then living the owner set aside to offer his regular customers first refusal (I gracefully did not refuse).

Built the first and second as soon as they were released and have the third in the stash.

In my experience it was a very nice and well detailed  kit BUT not one to be rushed and perhaps one more appreciated by the modeller than the assembler , main problem was the two fuselage halves which were split horizontally and on them the plastic was perhaps a bit too thin and needed to be joined very carefully and slowly an inch or so at a time to ensure a good fit all around.      I have read some comments that the the fuselage halves were warped which notwithstanding my comment above was not actually the case with the original two boxings I had but as I have never actually done anything with my 2005 re-release I am not able to say with any certainty that the mould had not deteriorated by then

A few years ago Airfix sought opinions on which of their classic kits to re-release and I do recall that they made it clear that their 1/48 Buccaneer would not be considered.

• Like 3

I had the double kit box, built the first one quite a few years ago in the grey/green scheme. Then managed to swap the flat bomb bay door for another bulged one with someone on here and built the second fairly recently as part of the Buccaneer GB. As stated, take your time and it comes out nice.

Airfix are surely going to do a new tool at some point, the sooner the better.👍

I agree with des and Muzz. Take your time and put in the effort it comes out well. Looks and 'feels' like  a real heavyweight aeroplane, just like the real thing was. I've done several now and am just now working on an all dark grey FAA machine from Lossiemouth back in the great old days of the Navy. 

But yes, I expect Airfix will do a new tool, eventually. At quite a price, no doubt. 

Their retooled 1/72nd Buccaneer - their third 1/72 moulding - is excellent.

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

They build up OK with a little patience, joining top to bottom a bit at a time.

Yes, the moulds are no longer useable according to Airfix.

Confirming patience - having built two of them.  And glad that I have  -  if there won't be any more.

Airfix_BuccaneerS2B.jpg

No aftermarket for either.

Airfix-Buccaneer-S2-D-Stbd.jpg

Just don't be put off when you get to this state

2-Buccaneer-Fuselage002.jpg

• Like 3

I have heard that and this was also said of other molds from Airfix as well as other manufacturers and then, the kit is re-issued. In any case there are plenty of second hand kits floating about. It would be nice if Airfix were to release a completely new tool kit(s) in 1/48 similar to what they did in 1/72

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

Quote from the Airfix Tribute Forum history listing for the 1/48 Buccaneer, both issues

"2015 Airfix state: Inherent quality problem with the fuselage mouldings."

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1520

You'd think that it must be on their radar considering how often it gets mentioned on here and elsewhere but... from a marketing perspective, would they release a kit in 1/48 so soon after doing it in 1/72? The S2B only hit the shelves earlier this year, though admittedly that was because it was delayed from 2020. I'd wager that we'll have to wait a little while longer, though I'll gladly be proved wrong!  Have Airfix set a precedent (in recent times, at least) of releasing the same subject in different scales in quick succession? If they have, I suspect it must have had elliptical wings 🤨  

2 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

You'd think that it must be on their radar considering how often it gets mentioned on here and elsewhere but... from a marketing perspective, would they release a kit in 1/48 so soon after doing it in 1/72? The S2B only hit the shelves earlier this year, though admittedly that was because it was delayed from 2020. I'd wager that we'll have to wait a little while longer, though I'll gladly be proved wrong!  Have Airfix set a precedent (in recent times, at least) of releasing the same subject in different scales in quick succession? If they have, I suspect it must have had elliptical wings 🤨  

Boulton Paul Defiant, Messerschmitt Bf109-E and Folland Gnat T. Mk. 1 spring to mind, but I'm notv1000% sure about the '109.