ICM 1/48th MiG-25RBT Foxbat

Very nice!!

As you described some smallish issues, the replacement nose a good alternative! 

On my first R model, I tried to modify it myself.

Also I simply cut out 1 mm if the oleo pistons to get a better stance...

Your solution a lot more elegant though!

Congrats!

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

General, I'd have to say Bloody Well Done!. At first glance I thought you were trying to slip an actual flight line photo set over on us. I have the PD version 

now gathering dust in the stash. I may get to it one of these centuries. At least now I have something I can gauge my progress on.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments chaps, much appreciated as ever.

I have the PD version now gathering dust in the stash. I may get to it one of these centuries. At least now I have something I can gauge my progress on.

You really should dig it out Loren, I think the PD is the most 'elegant' Foxbat version (I use the term lightly for such a beast). I'm also tempted by the BM defence-suppression version as I rather like the combination of camouflage, reece style nose and those huge Kh-58U missiles. I'm also hoping to back date a PD to the Ye-155P-1 prototype....a lot of work that'll keep me out of trouble for a while.

Although looking at the back of those engine exhausts made my ears hurt!

Being single-shaft turbojets it was quite a painful experience by all accounts, the engines themselves look surprisingly small when you consider the size of those enormous jet pipes.

I am building their 1/72 RU at the minute and will be building more and I for one will be very interested in your camouflaged RBF.

Thanks MM, you can't have enough Foxbats! look forward to seeing what you do with them all. The RBF should be a lot of fun, look out for it next year.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys, glad you like it.

If this wasn't posted on Britmodeller, I would have easily believed these photos are original.

Thanks Remus, that's the ultimate compliment in this hobby, appreciated.

Most excellent work!

Thanks Jeffrey, a big fan of your company, superb quality.

I must admit, me too fell in the trap of: "great reference photos, but where's the model?"

You hit the perfect spot in weathering, well maintained, airworthy but used - and the corrected gear is, well, you know...

But how should i ever build my little 1/72 PD, after I have seen this? And, even when trying to do so - how to cope with the gear position ( I don't even want to think about tinkering with the gear in 1/72). 

But, a humble question from me lying on the floor in sheer amazement; have you any notice about Quinta Studio doing a ;iG 25 cockpit? I know of them doing one for the MiG 31, and honestly am not aware of the differences, but asume there would be to many discrepancies?

Greeting from snowy, cold-war-ish Vienna, Guenther 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Guenther, that's very kind of you. 

If I was altering the 1/72nd kit I'd replace the main compression oleo with brass rod and carefully bend the forward parts to fit, either that or get the SAC metal version, cut into three sections, realign and CA back together. There's a lot less weight on the 1/72nd version so in theory......it 'should be' easier.

Regarding Quinta Studios and the MiG-25, apologies I meant the vacform canopy replacement, not a cockpit set (I've edited the post accordingly).

1-Valiant-B2011-001.jpg

I know of them doing one for the MiG 31, and honestly am not aware of the differences, but asume there would be to many discrepancies?

They do several sets for the Foxhound, (even the MiG-31M, though sadly, only in 1/72nd). The Foxhound is well catered for by Quinta so hopefully they will do the same with the MiG-25. 

The layout of the MiG-31 cockpit is, understandably, quite different from that of the Foxbat, being a generation apart and sharing the work load. One commonality though is the eye watering shade of Russian Cockpit Turquoise that MiG seemed so keen on. 

Melchett, in snowy and cold(war) Lincolnshire

• Thanks 1

Your build is excellent.

The re-arangement of the gear:

How did you proceed?

As the instructions telles you, or did you install the gear legs afterward?

If you did it afterward, so what did you change? Can you be more detailed with your information, since I am right on to do it, in near future!

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, general melchett said:

If I was altering the 1/72nd kit I'd replace the main compression oleo with brass rod and carefully bend the forward parts to fit, either that or get the SAC metal version, cut into three sections, realign and CA back together. There's a lot less weight on the 1/72nd version so in theory......it 'should be' easier.

That sounds reasonable. I guess, in any case, I'd try the service they market so adorably with the little doggy and ask for replacement gear parts, just in case...

6 minutes ago, general melchett said:

The layout of the MiG-31 cockpit is, understandably, quite different from that of the Foxbat, being a generation apart and sharing the work load. One commonality though is the eye watering shade of Russian Cockpit Turquoise that MiG seemed so keen on. 

Of course it is, that was not the most educated question from my side. 🥴

In short; it's screens vs. dials, and as such looking totally different. The cockpit shade is the same, tough, something that Lovecraft had to have in mind when he emanated about "Colours out of Space", and to me oozes Cold War like, say, grunting "Wasilli, give me just one ping" with scottish accent.

But took the chance to ask Alexander over at Facebook about his plans for Mig 25 stuff, and he answered in brief; likely, but might take time. But recently he bursts out stuff in amazing speed, so he might overtake me in my - rather mediocre, to be friendly - build speed. 🐌

• Haha 1

The re-arangement of the gear:

How did you proceed?

As the instructions telles you, or did you install the gear legs afterward?

If you did it afterward, so what did you change? Can you be more detailed with your information, since I am right on to do it, in near future!

Hopefully these will help explain dov, yes, I fitted the undercarriage after completing the build.

1-DSC-0164.jpg

2-DSC-0417.jpg

3-DSC-0527.jpg

4-DSC-0586.jpg

1-DSC-0784.jpg

6-DSC-0720.jpg

But took the chance to ask Alexander over at Facebook about his plans for Mig 25 stuff, and he answered in brief; likely, but might take time. But recently he bursts out stuff in amazing speed, so he might overtake me in my - rather mediocre, to be friendly - build speed. 

I saw your post on FB Chief, yes, hopefully they'll get around to releasing a few sets soon...as you say he turns out new sets at an amazing speed.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1