Royal Navy Phantoms

Alan Carr

Silly question, can the Airfix Phantom F.G.1 in 1/72 kit number AO6019 be done as a FAA aircraft because all the decals are for R.A. F. Squadrons it doesn’t appear to have a tailhook and the front leg is not extended.

I see that Fujimi do an RN version in this scale, so I should go for that one.

Many thanks in advance 

Alan

Alan

Sprue G has the extended nosewheel:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Airfix/Airfix_MDD_Phantom_FG1_72/Air_A06019_Phantom_FG1.html

(second row of sprue photos, third from left).

All Phantoms have the tailhook, even the R.A.F. ones - it's on the row under that, extreme right hand photo.

Obviously you'd need some RN decs, though...

Simon

Another vote for the Fujimi kit, it has more detailed undercarriage parts, the exhaust nozzles are a better shape (possibly slightly too large though) and Fujimi moulded in the air bleed vents above and below the intake ramp. The Airfix kit comes with options to fold the wings and have the flaps extended if that is something that interests you but the finesse in the detailing of the kit is soft and lacking (especially compared to the 30 year old Fujimi kit).

Duncan B

• Like 3

The (only) plus points of the Airfix kit over Fujimi are the one piece spine which removes the seam on the Fujimi kit (despite the tricky 4 way fit between both parts of the fuselage, the spine and the fin) and the intakes (despite the fact that the locating tabs catch some boxes on the inner lower wing and need work on.) The Airfix decal sheet is vastly superior but is 30+ years younger.

Fairly sure Hannants Xtradecal do the markings as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alan Carr said:

It looks like a trip to Kingkit to get the Fujimi version 

Thank you 😊 Ian

Italeri have recently reboxed the Fujimi kit, and this can brought really easily.

I adore this kit, it's over 30 years old now but puts many modern kits to shame due to its finesse of surface detail and the way it goes together.

I think I have every British Phantom boxing in the attic.

As mentioned above, the Airfix kit has some clear advantages, such as drooped leading edges and flaps, and full length engine inlets so it is down to the modeller what they actually prefer from a kit.

A maybe a mix and match of the two for the brave!

• Like 3

@Alan Carr

This is the kit you are after:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IT1434?result-token=7Mv50

Note that it is an F-4K/FG.1 not M as Italeri have it. Also note that the FG.1 did not have the ILS aerials on either side of the fin.

There were various boxing of the Fujimi Spey Phantom. 4 initially.

F-4K and F-4M - RN and RAF separately and both round top fins.

FG.1 and FGR.2 - RN/RAF and RAF both with the RWR fairing on top of the fin.

There were then various improved boxings and decal options.

49 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

" Also note that the FG.1 did not have the ILS aerials on either side of the fin."

whilst In RN service. 🙂 

I might dust down one of these airfix tooms and give one a whirl. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Alan Carr said:

Could someone suggest a good reference for this particular type of Phantom 

I'll answer your question with another:  reference about what?

If you are after colour schemes then most of the available decal sheets are fairly accurate, Richard Ward's book "Phantom squadron of the RAF and RN" is a must and the internet is great if you are looking for a particular a/c.

Technical information - you're here. Either trawl through the multitude of Phantom threads or ask - us Phantom obsessives are always happy to help.

If you want to get some detail stuff personally- there are FGR.2s at Duxford and Hendon, Yeovilton has an FG.1 and a developing collection at Kemble is emerging. Further afield there's an FG.1 at the Ulster Museum and Black Mike in South Wales.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alan Carr said:

The Richard Ward book "Phantom Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Fleet Air Arm" ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0946958319 is a good one-stop Photo collection for British tooms, the Haynes Manual is a bit pricey but might be found second hand online ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0857338587, and my Favourite Phantom book is "Spirit in the Skies" edited by Jon Lake - ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 187402328X covers all variants but has some good UK specific stuff within.

A google search with "Britmodeller F-4K" will reveal a wealth of information on these very pages. 

Best of luck with your Phantom!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Alan Carr said:

If you can find them British Phantoms Vols 1 and 2 by Double Ugly books are very good. The publisher is part of the Shop Of Phantoms store.

• Like 1