I thought about this a lot and I'm thinking that 2023brings a lot of significant 80ths the fall of stalingrad, Zitadel, Anzio, the defeat of the Afrika Corp, Gadalcanal (I think), all representing the tide turning against fascism in world war 2. From a historical perspective I'm fascinated by the European war and to a lesser extent the Mediterranean, but for some reason I'm not that interested in the Pacific war. Anyway I digress. 

The proposal woult be for any German, Soviet or allied equipment used during the Zitadel offensive, that includes a pretty large swath of aircraft, AFVs, lots of scope for dioramas and other equipment. Anyone else intetested? 

1. @Marklo

2. @Robert Stuart

3. @Rob S

4. @Ozzy

5. @Tim R-T-C

6.  @Prenton

7.  @Corsairfoxfouruncle

8. @Longbow

9. @Jasper dog

10. @M3talpig

11. @Beazer

12. @vppelt68

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Great idea. 

I must read “The Forgotten Soldier” by Guy Sajer again one day soon for some inspiration as it will definitely be something from The GD Division. 

Please sign me up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

I must read “The Forgotten Soldier” by Guy Sajer again one day soon for some inspiration as it will definitely be something from The GD Division

One of my favourites. Although controversial as there are many that say it’s a Roman du clef ie a fictional account of real world events. (Sajer made many detail  errors in the text eg got the arm of the GD insignia wrong,  refers to FW195  fighters and calls the vehicle they used against the partisans a Steiner) .

I’d also recommend ‘tigers in the mud’ and Demolishing the Myth: The Tank Battle at Prokhorovka, Kursk, July 1943: An Operational Narrative‘ and ‘Tank warfare on the eastern front 1941-1942: Schwerpunkt’ and ‘Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1943-1945: red steamroller’.

Edited by Marklo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Yep sign me up ..... ill have some of this :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Longbow said:

Yes, yes, and Thrice Yes !!

Crikey, Lee and Steve together on stage again!

Not sure if it's Blues Brothers or more Chuckle Brothers...:bleh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes please. It was the high point of the Panzerwaffe. I don't mean the troubled Tigers or the Panther, but the true workhorses of the Wehrmacht, PzKpfw:s III and IV with the long barrelled 60mm and 75mm KwK:s. Add the visual treats of the Schürzen and the new for 1943 Dunkelgelb base colour and we have the winners! V-P

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:28 PM, vppelt68 said:

Add the visual treats of the Schürzen and the new for 1943 Dunkelgelb base colour and we have the winners! V-P

Well technically we had the losers, it was the first major battle where the red army managed to negate Blitzkreig tactics and use combined arms as well as the Germans, but I think I know what you mean. 

0-E01-BDDA-9-D52-482-C-9-BDC-8643-FAD58-Probably my favourite book on the subject. 

I know they weren't "winners"! While it can be said the Zitadelle ended tactically in a tie, strategically Germany lost big time. Their tank armies were exhausted and stretched to their limits.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:45 AM, vppelt68 said:

I know they weren't "winners"! While it can be said the Zitadelle ended tactically in a tie, strategically Germany lost big time. Their tank armies were exhausted and stretched to their limits.

I think there were two major  contributors to the defeat ( and many minor ones) , Blitzkreig was successful because it was an extremely strategic and directed  strike and used combined forces in a way never seen previously; the Germans defeated arguably superior  Polish and French forces by striking hard at key objectives and destroying the enemies fighting capabilities.

On the Russian front the strategy employed was to seek out a super Cannae and destroy the fighting capabilities of the red army, which the Wehrmacht almost achieved, but basically it came down to economics not strategy with Russia ( and the allies) having larger resources and being able to out manufacture Germany. 

The other factor was the Anzio landings and the need to withdraw divisions from the eastern front and reinforce Italy.

Again arguably if Anzio hadn’t happened Zitadel might have ended differently, but thankfully it didn’t.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1