Early Bf 109 Wingtip Nav Lights

Tbolt

What was the shape of the early 109 nav light lenses? I'm building a 109D and the kit lenses are teardrop shaped, like on this restored 109E.

frouch_bf109e_13.jpg

But on this 109F it's rounder and more like what I can see on 109D pictures. 

31935679740_4fa3b41e18_o.jpg

dabc46f86a07df7d91bf25e6952e3e85.jpg

These 109E shows a lens which is round.

51702889445_8564068c98_o.jpg

51702014491_2020178740_o.jpg

So would I be correct that 109D's had the oval type cover and the 109E's had the round one and the kit has probably copied a restored 109E like in the first photo or misinterpreted the panel shape around the lens from a distance? But why does the 109F photo show the oval type, did they vary on the E/F depending on where they were manufactured? 

@Tbolt,

I think you are correct that the early 109's through the E had wingtip nav lights that were rounded or dome-shaped and were proud of the wingtip. Starting with the F and through the K, the nav lights were mounted in a concavity in the wingtip, and were covered with a clear plexiglass lens. Apparently this lens cover was not a necessity, as the photos in the linked article below will show. Is that what you were talking about? (Funny, I never even noticed that the lens cover was not always fitted until you mentioned it.) Is this a great hobby or what?

Mike

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/done-1-48-bf109f-2-hermaennchen-winter-war-eastern-front-wwii.41350/page-12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

@Tbolt,

I think you are correct that the early 109's through the E had wingtip nav lights that were rounded or dome-shaped and were proud of the wingtip. Starting with the F and through the K, the nav lights were mounted in a concavity in the wingtip, and were covered with a clear plexiglass lens. Apparently this lens cover was not a necessity, as the photos in the linked article below will show. Is that what you were talking about? (Funny, I never even noticed that the lens cover was not always fitted until you mentioned it.) Is this a great hobby or what?

Mike

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/done-1-48-bf109f-2-hermaennchen-winter-war-eastern-front-wwii.41350/page-12

Thanks, of course the F was the later style of light, I was incorrectly thinking that it was the earlier style when I saw that photo.

I guess what that photo of the D is showing then is the round type the same as the E so I'll modify the kit part accordingly.

The early production Bf 109 Fs did not have the lens cover, it was introduced during F-2 production.  The photo above with the man is painting a cockade on the wingtip is an accurate depiction and is not missing a lens cover.  I believe Zvedza is the only kit manufacturer to pick up on this detail in their 1/48 scale Bf 109 F-2 kit, in that it provides both types.

The bulb itself would have been subcontracted and very likely interchangeable between various marks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1