Gloster Meteor question...

mackem01

Hi haven’t tried that one but I did have the idea of crossing an Airfix FR9 with a Tamiya mk3 to get a PR10. 

Would be interesting to see what others have done. 

James 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Has anyone here tried to cross pollinate an Airfix F8 and a Tamiya F3 to produce an F4??

Just curious 🪓🪚:evil_laugh:

Main difference would be the tail no?

So you'd craft the F.3 tail to the Airfix kit.

Anything else?

Wheels probably...

33 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Main difference would be the tail no?

So you'd craft the F.3 tail to the Airfix kit.

Anything else?

Wheels probably...

Doesnt the F.4 have the earlier 3 piece canopy?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Didn't Revell, amongst others, produce a Mk 4?   I'm sure I have a built Mk 4 model sitting gathering dust somewhere! 

John B

John, was that in 72nd scale?

James

This would be a 1/48th conversion and I figure if I use the Tamiya fuselage and tail and cut the wings off the the Tamiya kit inboard of the 

engine nacelles the graft on the engines and outer wings from the Airfix kit then I should have something resembling an F4 - yes??

Edited by mackem01
Correcting an error.

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

John, was that in 72nd scale?

James

Ah - yes, the 'one true scale'.   Sorry, forgot that Airfix had produced a 1/48th F8. Fairly stupid, since I have two in the stash to build !  A favourite aircraft of mine too...

And - I do have a 1/48th Mk 4 to build; from Classic Airframe, way back. Sorry folks, of course that's not available any more. (I wonder what happened to the moulds? Jules never did really come back after the 2009 stoppage as far as I know) 

Edited by John B (Sc)
correction
  • Like 1

A sudden thought. If you use the F8 main kit and add the F3 tail feathers, that will leave most of an F3 with a Mk8 tail available.

How similar to the PR10 wings are those of the F3?  Is it possible to modify them to become a suitable emulation?   Haven't seen a 1/48th PR10 to my knowledge. 

And going further, I think I have a Tamiya Mk1 kit tucked away somewhere - how similar are the F3 wings to the Mk1 ?  I recall there was much angst about the Tamiya Mjk1, but I cant remember why now.  Anyone?  

Maybe some old style kit bashing looms! 

John B

21 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

A sudden thought. If you use the F8 main kit and add the F3 tail feathers, that will leave most of an F3 with a Mk8 tail available.

How similar to the PR10 wings are those of the F3?  Is it possible to modify them to become a suitable emulation?   Haven't seen a 1/48th PR10 to my knowledge. 

And going further, I think I have a Tamiya Mk1 kit tucked away somewhere - how similar are the F3 wings to the Mk1 ?  I recall there was much angst about the Tamiya Mjk1, but I cant remember why now.  Anyone?  

Maybe some old style kit bashing looms! 

John B

Wasnt the problem with the Tamiya mk1 Meteors wings to do with the air brakes being positioned to far inboard or outboard? Can’t remember which direction or if this carried over onto the mk3. There maybe other issues to but I don’t think any of them were game changers. 

Agreed, I may also have to sharpen my razor saw over the weekend!

Except the OP was talking 1/48, not 1/72!

Yes, the "problem" with the original run of Tamiya's Meteor I was that they had the air brakes, which weren't normally there.  The same wing is (correctly) in the Mk.3 kit, and they fixed the wing on later runs of the Mk.I, but whether there's any way to know which you've got without looking I can't remember.

Don't know offhand about Airfix/Tamiya kitbashing.  I thought I remembered someone doing it, but then remembered (I think!) that it was the old AMT kit and... something.  There are (or were) also some resin conversions that Kevin Martin made, adapting Classic Airframes bits (as masters for resin) with the Airfix kit as the "core".  Personally I don't have an Airfix Meteor yet, and they're too expensive for me to mess them about when I've already got a stash of Classic Airframes and Tamiya ones.  Besides, I'm a bit of a modelling masochist, at least in theory.

• Like 1

I did look up a few postings and found a reference to 1/72 before posting.  However the principle should be the same in the larger scale, given a larger scale night fighter.  I tend to forget that even nowadays 1/48 is more limited in scope than 1/72, now that the differences are less stark.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, franky boy said:

Hi haven’t tried that one but I did have the idea of crossing an Airfix FR9 with a Tamiya mk3 to get a PR10. 

Would be interesting to see what others have done. 

James 

I'm planning exactly the same. Comparing those two kits it is clear that one wants to use more and more of the Tamiya kit. My revised plan is to mate the engines and nose section of the Airfix FR.9 with the rest of the Tamiya F.1. I can't help it, but to my eye the Tamiya kit looks so much better.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Thanks all. Yes gingerbob, I did finally realise that the OP was talking (implying) 1/48th. I have all these variants already in1 /72, except the PR10. 

Shall check on the presence/absence of airbrakes on my kits. I suspect they are are old enough to have the error; they were bought in a reduced price sale many moons ago! . Some filling and re-scribing might deal with it adequately.   Super - and winter just coming along, right time for this sort of mulling - well done mackem01 !

4 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Thanks all. Yes gingerbob, I did finally realise that the OP was talking (implying) 1/48th. I have all these variants already in1 /72, except the PR10. 

Shall check on the presence/absence of airbrakes on my kits. I suspect they are are old enough to have the error; they were bought in a reduced price sale many moons ago! . Some filling and re-scribing might deal with it adequately.   Super - and winter just coming along, right time for this sort of mulling - well done mackem01 !

The clue was saying 'Tamiya F.3', unless you know of a secret cash of the ultra-limited run Tamiya did in 1/72nd. (That's meant to be funny, not mean, BTW).

Paul.

2 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Great find Selwyn, it would have been the answer to my prayers but it's also very thin

on the ground. The only two I could find after a quick Google were priced at £79 and £83.

A bit heavy for my pocket.

contact me off board I have a spare one somewhere.

Selwyn