D C 4 Skymaster blue colour

Etiennedup

I am building the Revell 1/72 DC 4 in South African Airways livery used during the late fifties and will be using the Transport Wings decal set.

Some  sections of the blue will be airbrushed and need to match the colour used in the decal exactly. So far I have been unsuccessful in obtaining

an acceptable mix with my Tamiya acrylics

Would anyone perhaps have a mixing formula for this blue with a hint of green colour.

According to official South African Airways documentation the blue livery was BAC 5025 (Boeing Aircraft  Corporation) 

but no  examples  in print could be found anywhere.

I  hope someone can help.............

Cheers,

Etienne.

Edited by Etiennedup

I'm not sure about the color, but it looks like you could start with Humbrol's RAF Blue (used on uniforms) and add a little dark sea blue to get a good match.  This is a beautiful scheme, and I'd love to see the results you achieve in 1/72!  What areas of the model were you planning to airbrush?  I ask, because the image of the decal sheet looks pretty complete to me, and that large field of blue gives you ample room to fix mistakes.

18 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

What areas of the model were you planning to airbrush?  I ask, because the image of the decal sheet looks pretty complete to me, and that large field of blue gives you ample room to fix mistakes.

The nose from the cockpit  (my version, see photo.... is slightly different from the decal version) and the nacelles because of the curvature and uneven surfaces. (decals do not like curves)

I'll look into the Humbrol shades, ..........thanks.

• Like 1