De Havilland Vampire FB.5/9 questions

Wez

1 minute ago, MikeC said:

The RAF single-seaters certainly never had them, neither did the NF10 or early NF11s.

Also my understanding, although the Airfix box art would have it differently 🙄.  Probably based on the preserved examples studied. An observation not a complaint as the kit is correct. 

On 11/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, Wez said:

Always interested in Vampiric countenance, this could be the kit that entices me to make an Aussie version with those bloody ugly extra intakes (the French solution was far more elegant)!

Sorry if it took me a while, here they are:

resized_867a9171-ada8-4e4d-90db-b85e8ca8

resized_b0999c23-e19f-4ce3-b801-86a6f363

resized_61429afc-3e1b-4bb2-87ec-d2aa8cb9

resized_42e5d1e2-f6cd-429d-b6cf-1be21b24

resized_c55369f5-f0b4-4d5f-87f7-12c72ca8

resized_4c7a46ee-5c82-4886-8837-e5c64ca0

resized_0eea81c5-9a08-496e-9f50-d96dd317

And with this being an RAAF variant, it would be a pity not to show the extra intakes:

resized_7e146bbb-0af0-4f71-9a1d-f18a2f7d

The aircraft is A79-1, the first F.30 produced, now residing at the Williamtown museum in NSW. This was built with the original dorsal "elephant ears" intakes, however a number of F-30s were converted to the later lower intake configuration when the original one was found to create problems.

Below a picture of the aircraft:

resized_6b00653f-26a9-4740-9a34-b5c2a265

All pictures taken by me and happily shared for your personal use. However if re-using them, please give credit,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 11/27/2021 at 3:22 AM, Wez said:

Always interested in Vampiric countenance, this could be the kit that entices me to make an Aussie version with those bloody ugly extra intakes (the French solution was far more elegant)!

@Wez,

If you do build that "Aussie version with those bloody ugly extra intakes", dont forget to shorten the rear fuselage as well as adding the MB seat. A couple more photos to add to Giorgio's excellent selection.

0749b5cc-1b68-4ea4-aee5-43bdec72338a.jpg

A fuselage modified as a training aid. Gives a good idea of the rear fuselage panelling and positioning of the auxiliary intakes.

2b1e39d4-bda6-4e3f-87aa-5523933c3fa6.jpg

This shot of the lower fusealge panel, at a knakker's yard, gives a good idea of the profile and plan shape of the intakes.

3a1d8b30-4794-4775-88cc-7de406e69235.jpg

This rough sketch I did a number of years ago when I modified a couple of Classic Airframes kits to an F.30 and FB.31 shows the shortened fusleage.

Peter M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

dont forget to shorten the rear fuselage as well as adding the MB seat

I knew about the seat, I didn't know about the shortened fuselage, thanks for pointing it out and providing the sketch,

Where does the shortness come in?  At the tailpipe in or at the firewall?

5 minutes ago, Wez said:

I knew about the seat, I didn't know about the shortened fuselage, thanks for pointing it out and providing the sketch,

Where does the shortness come in?  At the tailpipe in or at the firewall?

What Peter hasn't mentioned but is shown in his drawing is the larger diameter jetpipe of the Nene compared to the Goblin.

The rear fuselage is cut back at the tailpipe to allow the larger jetpipe to emerge, resulting in a slightly shorter fuselage nacelle.

The nacelle shape doesn't change, it's just had a bit trimmed off the back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the fuselage nacelle side, best I can show is this view of the rear end:

resized_a6172307-156d-43cb-a2d5-460b9aa4

Picture is not great as was taken with a pocket camera in a relatively dark building and in those days mobile phones were even worse than these

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

What Peter hasn't mentioned but is shown in his drawing is the larger diameter jetpipe of the Nene compared to the Goblin.

The rear fuselage is cut back at the tailpipe to allow the larger jetpipe to emerge, resulting in a slightly shorter fuselage nacelle.

The nacelle shape doesn't change, it's just had a bit trimmed off the back.

Yes, I should have been more explicit. As an engineer I often forget that not all are as used to interpret drawings as I am. As you say, the rear fuseklage was cut back to accomodate the larger diameter of the Nene exhaust.

Peter M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As another engineer, I must admit to jumping to the "cut-back" reason immediately.  Otherwise the whole rear-end would have had to be different.  I do feel that understanding why something needed to be done is a great help in understanding just exactly what was done.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

As an engineer I'm always looking for the engineering solutions and reasons behind designs and modifications 🙂

Likewise.

43 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

As another engineer, I must admit to jumping to the "cut-back" reason immediately.  Otherwise the whole rear-end would have had to be different.  I do feel that understanding why something needed to be done is a great help in understanding just exactly what was done.

Context is everything in engineering

• Like 1