De Havilland Vampire FB.5/9 questions

Wez

My next project is Airfix's 1/48th Vampire F.3 made as an FB.9, I've not even started yet but already I've got a couple of questions.

The cockpit is any colour you like as long as it's black but I would still like to find a good colour picture of the cockpit of an FB.5/9 or contemporaneous export version (e.g. FB.52), there are a few walkaround sites out there but most feature pictures of either T.11s (or their equivalents), or Swiss FB.6's (either as they were in Swiss service or later warbird restorations), the Swiss cockpits featured some detailed instrument changes the RAF aircraft never had.

Secondly, the wingtip navigation lights, how many bulbs did they have?  Was it one only on the aft face of the light housing, was it one on the inboard edge or was it two lamps - one on the aft and one on the inboard face of the light housing?  Unfortunately, most walkarounds don't show this detail or it isn't clear enough.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, Wez

Sorry, no idea about the bulbs in navigation lights. However, will these illustrations from Vampire FB.5 & FB.9 Pilot's notes (here ), found on Jever Steam Laundry website (here), do?

spacer.png

Vamp5pic049fig1.jpg

Vamp5pic051fig3.jpg

Vamp5pic052fig4.jpg

Cheers!

Jure

P. S.: Sorry Wez, I did not notice you wanted colour photos:

Edited by Jure Miljevic
P. S. added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

P. S.: Sorry Wez, I did not notice you wanted colour photos:

Jure,

Thanks for these, they're very useful anyway.

3 hours ago, Wez said:

The cockpit is any colour you like as long as it's black but I would still like to find a good colour picture of the cockpit of an FB.5/9

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Secondly, the wingtip navigation lights, how many bulbs did they have

Hi Wez,

The RNZAF never flew the FB.9 operationally in New Zealand,

but RNZAF 14 Squadron did fly borrowed/leased RAF FB.9's whilst

on detachment in Singapore

On return from Singapore, 14 Squadron brought one of the FB.9's back with

them to New Zealand.

It became an instructional Airframe (INST171), then donated to MOTAT Here in Auckland

2b1eab7f-bd2c-4c9b-9774-f6c426ea69f0.jpg

ee8b4594-64be-41c1-9065-c5f3ee20c86a.jpg

Now as far as Cockpit photos go, I personally don't have any  (one day), but a New Zealand Aviation

Photographer Phillip Treweek has taken cockpit photos of WR202 above

As these are not mine I have linked them from a page on Phillips site.

WR202 Cockpit view looking forward and to port

Cockpit view showing the coaming and the port side

Cockpit view looking down - forward and to port.

Cockpit view looking to port, showing the canopy and seat (with fittings).

Cockpit view showing the Starboard side panels and controls

Cockpit view showing the Starboard side panels and controls1

Cockpit view showing the forward Starboard side panels and controls

Cockpit view looking aft, showing the canopy and seat.

Cockpit view showing the coaming and windscreen

This is a photo of an RNZAF FB.5 wingtip light - hopefully is of some help?

PR481-56.t5ecc66a7.m600.xgV9PO-fu.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
Replaced broken link
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

This is a photo of an RNZAF FB.5 wingtip light - hopefully is of some help?

PR481-56.t5ecc66a7.m600.xgV9PO-fu.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

Regards

Alan

Is the guys wearing sandals while refuelling the jet....?

11 minutes ago, Wez said:

@Dave Swindell and @Jure Miljevic your help has been invaluable, thanks.

Thanks for the complement, but I think you should be thanking @LDSModeller for his photos rather than me, all I did was provide a little light entertainment from an observation made about one of the photos :fool: 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dave Swindell said:

Thanks for the complement, but I think you should be thanking @LDSModeller for his photos rather than me, all I did was provide a little light entertainment from an observation made about one of the photos :fool: 

:banghead::doh: It's been a long day, what can I say?

Alan, @LDSModeller apologies for getting you mixed up with @Dave Swindell, the links and photos you provided are very useful.  I can see one navigation lamp facing outboard and the colour photos of the ergonomic slum cockpit are very helpful.

• Haha 2

Superb cockpit photos, thanks. (kibbitzing in on Wez, guess why!)

An immensely silly question - was the fitting of an ejection seat unique to RNZAF and possibly RAAF single seat Vampires? The picture of the machine at HOTAT has an ejection seat warning stencil and possibly a head box visible through the canopy, but the detail cockpit photos show what looks to me to be a standard fixed seat.

John B

WR202 at MOTAT is actually an ex RAF jet, it doesn't have an ejection seat fitted, maybe the warning triangle was applied while it was instructional or in preservation.

As far as I'm aware RNZAF Vampires didn't have ejection seats.

get?dps_pid=IE434252&format=webp

Edited by 71chally

1 hour ago, John B (Sc) said:

An immensely silly question - was the fitting of an ejection seat unique to RNZAF and possibly RAAF single seat Vampires? The picture of the machine at HOTAT has an ejection seat warning stencil and possibly a head box visible through the canopy, but the detail cockpit photos show what looks to me to be a standard fixed seat.

John B

The Swiss Vampires certainly had ejector seats as did the French Mistrals

8 hours ago, Wez said:

Alan, @LDSModeller apologies for getting you mixed up

Hi Wez - No Problems - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has days like that too :)

Glad the Photos etc are of help

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

it doesn't have an ejection seat fitted, maybe the warning triangle was applied while it was instructional or in preservation.

As far as I'm aware RNZAF Vampires didn't have ejection seats.

Not sure why the triangle is there, possibly someone slapped one on during its time as

an instructional frame or when it ended its RNZAF service?

Or someone applied it when it first arrived at MOTAT? The current MOTAT Volunteers are pretty good at

authenticity though - so pass?

The only RNZAF Vampires that had ejection seats were the T.55's and T.11's

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I have a few if they can be of use, however they are of an Australian aircraft, so not a proper FB.5 or 9... let me know if you may be interested anyway

Speaking of ejection seats, late production Italian aircraft also had ejections seats

Always interested in Vampiric countenance, this could be the kit that entices me to make an Aussie version with those bloody ugly extra intakes (the French solution was far more elegant)!

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 6:16 AM, Wez said:

My next project is Airfix's 1/48th Vampire F.3 made as an FB.9, I've not even started yet but already I've got a couple of questions.

The cockpit is any colour you like as long as it's black but I would still like to find a good colour picture of the cockpit of an FB.5/9 or contemporaneous export version (e.g. FB.52), there are a few walkaround sites out there but most feature pictures of either T.11s (or their equivalents), or Swiss FB.6's (either as they were in Swiss service or later warbird restorations), the Swiss cockpits featured some detailed instrument changes the RAF aircraft never had.

Secondly, the wingtip navigation lights, how many bulbs did they have?  Was it one only on the aft face of the light housing, was it one on the inboard edge or was it two lamps - one on the aft and one on the inboard face of the light housing?  Unfortunately, most walkarounds don't show this detail or it isn't clear enough.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Wes,

I'll post a photo of my Vampire FB.5 instrument panel here for reference. At least you can get an idea of the different colours on some of the gauges.

• Thanks 1

Just now, David A Collins said:

Hi Wes,

I'll post a photo of my Vampire FB.5 instrument panel here for reference. At least you can get an idea of the different colours on some of the gauges.

Many thanks, that will be a great help

On 11/24/2021 at 8:42 PM, John B (Sc) said:

John B

The RAF single-seaters certainly never had them, neither did the NF10 or early NF11s.  Just for completeness, Venom FB1s did not, neither did the NF2 or NF3.  The FB4 and Sea Venom did.  Others may know more.

From what I remember (when I was a mere stripling of an Air Cadet, my squadron had a real FB5, VV217, in our back yard):  as others have said, the cockpit was black.  The seat was very similar to that fitted in a Spitfire, but I think that was black too, with a leather backpad and a Z-type harness in blue or black, I can't recall which.

Edited by MikeC