A Pair of 1/72 Hawker Tempests

With the completion of a restoration of a Matchbox Tempest which was bought off eBay requiring attention, it’s time to show it off along with a Revell ‘not quite out of the box’ build. I’ll explain later…

The Matchbox Tempest started like this when I bought it.

TNmRwHe.jpg

It was built wheels up with the original decals. The paint appeared to be enamel. The propeller blades were missing and the spinner was glued solid. The interior hadn’t been painted either.

The model was taken apart as carefully as I could manage and the parts placed in my usual stripping medium -Dettol. The white paint on the underside was a little stubborn especially in the panel lines but I managed to get it all off in the end.

I added some basic interior framing to the cockpit and replaced the seat with a 3D printed replacement with seat belts made from masking tape. I found somebody had a Tempest design on Thingiverse so I adapted it in Tinkercad, repaired it at the same time, and 3D printed two. They turned out reasonably well - not 100% perfect but useable none the less.

The replacement landing gear was also 3D printed. 
Mr Surfacer 1000 was painted over the original panel lines to make them less prominent and the model was reassembled with no major issues at all.

I purchased a Revell Tempest from the same seller in dire need of some TLC but a major stumbling block was one upper wing was missing as well as the propeller assembly. It too was a wheels up model. 
zLgyFOq.jpg
I eventually found another Revell Tempest with a couple of parts missing so I thought I’d use some parts to make the model while again. 
rtfUN9J.jpg

In the end I decided to build the later kit and use the horizontal stabilisers from the original model. The propeller assembly was also missing to the second 3D printed one would be on this kit. I replaced the main gear wheels to add some detail.

Both kits were treated to new vac formed canopies (the Matchbox one was beyond use and the Revell ones were both missing). 
Replacement decals were also sourced but the set I was going to use on the Revell Tempest broke up so I managed to cobble a set together from my spare decals. The JV*K ones were Revell re-issues if the original Matchbox ones.

Both have turned out well but I’m very happy with the Matchbox restoration.

ypKUdfG.jpg
aYTKzZP.jpg

xmyIpcb.jpg
jswQIKs.jpg

And finally, a photo of my Hawker ‘Family’ including two to-be-restored Hurricanes.

5i06J9H.jpg

• Like 31

There's some great work on display there. It just goes to show what can be achieved from these old kits with a bit of TLC.

They're two models to be proud of.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

A couple of amazing comebacks, under your skilled guidance!

With that sort of talent you would be certain to produce a masterpiece from one of today's toolings.

Well done!

:clap2::clap2:

Incidentally, your "before" photos reflect a skill level not unlike my first forays in the hobby as a young boy! 😬

• Haha 2

• 8 months later...

This is remarkable. I know from my own expierence that restoring an old kit takes even more patience and effort than building a new. But I have to admit that I never restored kits that were in such a sorry state. The result is simply excellent.

• Thanks 1