Aviatik 30.40, 1/48

Aviatik 30.40

Today I can show the most light weight fighter of the Austria-Hungary: the Aviatik 30.40 with an empty weight of 366 and fully loaded 586kg. It was developed to use the planned production in Steyr of powerful 11-cylinder Le Rhone rotary engines with up to 160hp. Only 35 engines of 150 planned was delivered, and there was a shortage of Voltol oil not delivered by Germany as expected.
So only a prototype was build and flight tested and no serial production was started.

My reference was the very nice book "Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of World War One".

This build promised a quick progress with not many parts in the box, but it converted again into a huge scratch build with using some kit parts. The engine was reworked with parts from Small Stuff, the spoke wheels was a completely new experience for me, all the struts and undercarriage are new from brass and all the front panels are polished aluminium.
Some parts like airscrew, tailskid, fuselage undersurface and some parts in the cockpit I made from real wood. Additional accessories are Gaspatch turnbuckles, HGW seat belts, PE from Eduard and Parts. Apropos Gaspatch: This prototyp was unarmed, but had the Schwarzlose MG mounts. On my model you can put on Gaspatch Schwarzlose MGs of course ;)
For the painting I used Alclad, Gunze, MRP and oil paints. Decals are not used, the cutting plotter had a lot to do.

uc?export=view&id=1K8nZXUZuHzWm08CKq9yUE

uc?export=view&id=1S-_LCYfdFjwBv6pvaeuAz

uc?export=view&id=19a8EGc-EeGgMHa6FcpfdG

uc?export=view&id=1PletX4_dlpMFjXoqPi_4P

uc?export=view&id=1bnMqj1yp6yjmKRoJmsqvJ

uc?export=view&id=1kSRZJpN1Cw-jkm2xOADeP

uc?export=view&id=10_NCHkr5jAe0XOm0UPPiw

uc?export=view&id=15S_v4w79PlMjI07wSzjK2

uc?export=view&id=1Bll2htSjg0btYLyNagA8_

uc?export=view&id=1q0acEmvnGt16l01kukiGd

No, these were not new reference pictures! ;)
uc?export=view&id=1XHFaA1yiUtzH5JqGjFvm0

uc?export=view&id=1DIPyonJgP3xzZ4VorOaYF

uc?export=view&id=1fjGHBwjyQVf0lS10m_twd

uc?export=view&id=1J0FjC2coL7CGbgOLAR4Fu

uc?export=view&id=1zenOMPh9qCboj8a_7ROby

uc?export=view&id=1eaS52tPMqgtkJ3_K9oENz

You may know the Fokker E.V as small aircraft, the Aviatik is smaller in all dimensions:
uc?export=view&id=1vqx5rr8xXLOLeDZMDSk4D

And finally original versus forgery:
uc?export=view&id=1A8tyywd41M1L3N_8R12UU

uc?export=view&id=1ylL5F0M3Oro-7gfhiYaiC

uc?export=view&id=1hPUrV44wuyMrl1QbntRob

I hope you like this little aircraft!

Cheers,
Frank

Edited by Bughunter
Add text.
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, foxhandybread said:

Good lord. That is probably the most realistic finish to a model that I've *ever* seen.. the metal effect is just spot on. Really nice job 👍

Thank you very much! It looks realistic because of the real materials. I'm not able to paint polished aluminium that realistic, so I turned the cowling on my lathe and used also for the other panels real alu plates. I polished them with a rubber polishing stick in my Proxxon drill.

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 4

Uff…… this is finest art . Your metal parts are unbelievable. Top realistic photography! I am blown away for the next hours.

Andy 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

Absolutely amazing. And you laced the spoked wheels! That's some feat. 

Did your reference book mention what the prototype was like to fly? I imagine with the small control surfaces, light weight airframe, and a rotary up front this must have been a handful to fly.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much! :worthy:

12 hours ago, Wlad said:

Did your reference book mention what the prototype was like to fly?

There  is only short note, that due to promising performance recorded during trials in July and August 1918 it was proposed for production.

30 minutes ago, S. Uehlinger said:

Manufacturing Wheel spokes in 1/72...WOW!

Sorry, but as stated in the headline the model is 1/48. But also in that scale not easy.

• Thanks 1

What a beautiful job you have done on a unique aircraft.  I myself dable in 1/48 wwi aircraft but have never heard of this plane nor the kit manufacture so now I think I need to look around for what they produce.  Thanks for posting!

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your kind comments, highly appreciated! :like:

22 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

I can only guess at the time and dedication that must have gone into this masterpiece.

I started beginning of September, so you can count the hours until now :coolio: But of course I had also some sleep, a family trip and other real life things. But yes, the effort was huge!

11 hours ago, Harold55 said:

I myself dable in 1/48 wwi aircraft but have never heard of this plane nor the kit manufacture so now I think I need to look around for what they produce.

I'm not sure, but this manufacturer is may be out of business now. As usual Scalemates helps:

https://www.scalemates.com/brands/alliance-models--1026

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

Fantastic work Frank!

I have been dipping into your build of it over on the WW1Aircraft Models forum. You have spotted a couple of details that I missed on my build that I shall have to add. 

The way you have done the metal cowlings is excellent. It was the main thing that I was never happy about on mine, using real aluminium has made a massive difference to the look of the model and is something I shall attempt next time. 

Your spoked wheels are another stand out feature, luckily I had some suitable etch ones for mine but I will definitely be using your method in the future. 

I missed the fact that the prototype had the MG mounts, it would make sense as I presume the weight of the guns would have had quite an impact on the flight characteristics.

I've been focusing on building British armour lately but seeing your work has given me the urge to go back to building WW1 aircraft again, I've got plenty to choose from.

Looking forward to your next project, any ideas as to what it may be?

Wayne 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your fantastic feedback! Highly appreciated! :worthy:

On 11/25/2021 at 5:18 PM, Gary Brantley said:

Wow!   Frank, what a scale model, and what a demonstration of the modeling art! 

Thanks! I try to come closer with every model to my signature, but I assume that I will never be reach the goal completely. So there is always a room for improvement.

Wayne, I have to thank you for showing your build here, as it makes me aware of this type and kit!

7 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Looking forward to your next project, any ideas as to what it may be?

I think I need to deal with the new Eduard Camel kit because I got that as a gift. And this type is still missing in my Sopwith collection.:idea:

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1