RV MiG-23MF Flogger-B 1/72 - 26oct22 a bit more paint on and getting all the small bits together

Hi all, 

After a false start a week or two ago I have re-started this build. My initial attempt was using the more recent KP kit but, being honest, I made a few mistakes and had a thin cement accident that trashed so much detail that I stopped it. So, with renewed vigour I have given her another go. This time I am using the remains of the early KP with some replacement parts from a RV MiG-23MF "What If" kit. I'm no fan of What Ifs so I had no other use for it. To its credit, though, the plastic is more robust but it does suffer from some of the RV extras like PE (my nemesis ;) ). 

I had already gathered together some aftermarket, some of which went west when I trashed the first attempt. Here is the KP box and the extras:

Flogger3

You can see that I have now opted to use a Res-Im cockpit rather than the Pavla, which was more poorly detailed. However, the Pavla was probably more representative of the aircraft. The Res-Im detail, though, is superb, especially on the area forward of the coaming. 

The aircraft I am planning on representing is "SK427", a MiG-23MF that was operated by 224 squadron of the Indian Air Force. The Indians operated these aircraft from Jamnagar as a stop-gap pending the arrival of the MiG-27 and MiG-29. Two squadrons were operated - 223 and 224. The non-What If RV MiG-23MF kit has this machine as part of its decal offering. However, my research with the help of Giorgio @Giorgio N has shown that in every respect it is inaccurate :(. So, it was off to the PC for me to draw what I need and to ask Mika at Arctic Decals to print them for me. Here is SK427 while at rest at Pune AFS:

SK427

Credit: Simon Watson

I also fancy building this to accompany her:

MS317

Credit: Simon Watson

That will have to wait awhile! ;)

I have already started work on her and will post a few images soon.

Martin

• Like 10

• RidgeRunner changed the title to RV/KP MiG-23MF Flogger-B 1/72

A few pictures of progress so far. Firstly a shot of the wing swing mechanism.  These fit neatly on to pins within the wing gloves. These are part of the rear fuselage, with parts for top and bottom. It sounds great as you'd think there are no seams along the top. However, the downside is the odd seam line along each side. These need careful cementing, bit by bit. 

Flogger15

I couldn't get it perfect and so will contend myself  with bit of filling and sanding, masking off the detail to avoid damage. The speedbrakes need sanding on the insides too. 

Flogger12

The rear end doesn't quite fit and, again, will need filling and sanding. Again, I'll mask it before. Note the small step. I tried a Pavla resin replacement but was too small.

Flogger11

The splitter plates for the intakes didn't seam right to me

Flogger14

So, as an experiment, I tried to build up the correct configuration. The real aircraft had a frame within which the plates sat. I tried to replicate these  with various bits of rod and card. I'm not yet sure how successful I've been

Flogger13

Flogger9

They still need a little clean up. I also added the airflow vanes inside the intakes

Flogger8

The cockpit is from Res-Im. It is labelled as a generic part but it is clear that it isnt completely correct for the MF. However, it is the best for crisp clarity so I've gone with it. 

Flogger10

Lastly, for now, I drilled out the dorsal scoops for the rear fuselage.

Martin

• Like 7

• RidgeRunner changed the title to RV/KP MiG-23MF Flogger-B 1/72 - 24nov21 a few images of work so far

I got a little done today in between working out in the garden. It is such a beautiful day!! Even oso I got a little more done during my lunch break :)

The forward fuselage parts are cemented now. Returning to the splitter plates I have now added some square profile rod to the rear of each upper "triangle" on the plate (where the plate sits against the intake. The real aircraft has an angle piece in this position. I will sand it to triangular once cured. See them here:

1687FD2E-32F9-4EBC-91FD-78713D532BD9

I will add the bracing struts during assembly.

She is starting to look like an aeroplane :). The cockpit still needs a lot of work - filling around the resin, painting the forward coaming area and around the back face (behind the seat). I will also need the HUD fitted as well as being painted. As you can see, she will need some lead too! 

Flogger16

I'm starting to think about colours too. I think the "tan" areas should be something like Humbrol 63 Sand. I still have to decide on the green and the grey undersides. I had thought it could be Light Aircraft Grey but I reckon that its too dark. The nose cone and dielectric on the fin could be Dark Sea Grey?  Thinking......

Martin

• Like 6

• RidgeRunner changed the title to RV/KP MiG-23MF Flogger-B 1/72 - 25nov21 She's starting to look like an aeroplane!

A bit more done today.

Firstly I tackled the tailplanes. RV/KP have these butted with no tabs, as is pretty normal for these types of kits. I therefore used some brass rod, drilled out and inserted at the hinge point to give them some rigidity and to give me the option of sitting them slightly relaxed. In reality these were very similar but they were angled. For my purposes, though, a 90 degree setting wil be fine. 

IMG_9439

IMG_9438

Next, having drilled out the rear dorsal scoops previously, I have now inserted some vanes as per the real aircraft. Mine are not to scale, though!!! They are still better than the kit offering!

IMG_9441

I shaped the small triangular pieces that I referred to in my post yesterday. They’re not prefect but they will work okay. 

IMG_9443

For the belly tank I decided to use a spare tank and pylon from an Eduard MiG-21MF. The pylon is now attached. The tank is assembled but needs clean-up.

IMG_9445

IMG_9446

Finally today I have applied some paint to the splitter plates and intake interiors. I am doing this at this stage because otherwise I couldn't mask the demarcation line between the interior and the outer camouflage colours. For the latter I wrestled with a decision an finally decided that Humbrol 62 Leather was a good match - certainly the best I could find within my collection of Humbrol and Colourcoats tines ;). The intake interior has had a Metalcote applied and needs buffing. Next will be assembly of the intakes before getting them on to the fuselage. 

IMG_9449

IMG_9448

And that's it for today :). Back on Monday.

Martin

• Like 6

• RidgeRunner changed the title to RV/KP MiG-23MF Flogger-B 1/72 - 26nov21 a bit more done - tailplanes, belly tank, painting, scoops
4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

A bit more done today.

Firstly I tackled the tailplanes. RV/KP have these butted with no tabs, as is pretty normal for these types of kits. I therefore used some brass rod, drilled out and inserted at the hinge point to give them some rigidity and to give me the option of sitting them slightly relaxed. In reality these were very similar but they werre angled. For my purposes, though, a 90 degree setting wil be fine.

Martin

That sounds like a good idea especially as the part that is fixed to the fuselage is attached to the actual tailplane.

Gondor

3 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

That sounds like a good idea especially as the part that is fixed to the fuselage is attached to the actual tailplane.

Gondor

Sorry, but I don’t understand :(

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Sorry, but I don’t understand :(

I think I now know. The two marked out parts on the inner edge should actually be fixed to the fuselage? If that is correct I will simply cement them in place with the rods. In reality they rarely sat deflected anyway. 

Martin

15 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I think I now know. The two marked out parts on the inner edge should actually be fixed to the fuselage? If that is correct I will simply cement them in place with the rods. In reality they rarely sat deflected anyway. 

Martin

That's roughly it.

The tailplane with the P on it has the brass pin in the correct place for where it pivits.

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

There are two faily deep engrafed lines running towards the front and the rear of the taleplanes, these lines show the parts which belong to the fuselage are. If you wanted to show the tailplane deflected from the nuteral position they would have to be cut away from the tailplane and fixed to the fuselage.

I hope that helps

Gondor

• Like 3

Yes, thanks. I have now seen that on photos. I didn’t realise! Thanks. I will now glue them in place. As I said, they rarely sat deflected so it would be a lot of work for nothing!

Martin

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, thanks. I have now seen that on photos. I didn’t realise! Thanks. I will now glue them in place. As I said, they rarely sat deflected so it would be a lot of work for nothing!

Martin

True, however you now know which parts stay still if you do ever diflect the tailplanes..

Gondor

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

True, however you now know which parts stay still if you do ever diflect the tailplanes..

Gondor

I am still thinking whether to do that work. Maybe ;). In truth it is no more work that what I have done with the splitter. My wife calls me “half job” so maybe I should do it!  To prove her wrong :).

Martin

8 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Nice, Bahadur, met a Mig-27 recently in Shillong, sharing the picture here. Btw that scorpion my friend dad flew it.
IMG-3029.jpg

Nice! :) There are a few scattered around India, as you know, Tom. The one guarding the main road in to the main terminal in Delhi is impressive. Another I remember is in Bangalore city, in a compound with two other preserved machines. 

Martin

• Like 2

A bit more done.

Today I started out by sanding back the assembled intakes. This was needed because the fit of the splitter plates within the intake housings is not great and needs either some fillets or, as I did, some Gloop (dissolved sprue). After sanding the rear faces - which need to be flat - I applied some PPP to fill the odd small hole.

Once done it was time for assembly. Before that, though, I needed to mark out and drill 0.5mm holes for the sway braces that go between the splitter plates and the fuselage. Once drilled I inserted small rods, leaving them to slide a little so that as I closed up the two intakes and the forward fuselage their lengths are "automatically" found.  With that done I set about assembling everything. 

I have also been sanding the filler around the rear end where the jet pipe area doesn't quite fit correctly. I suspect this might have been as result of my slopping cementing  :(. Anyway it is done now. I have also got the inner missile (R-23) rails on as well as the ventral fin assembly. I now need to test the nose weight before getting more assembled. Here are a couple of shots.

Flogger18

Flogger17

Note that the splitter plates are partially painted. This is to allow me to paint the interiors, including the camouflage "tan" and mask them off. The areas you see as tan in the pictures are where they will be green later on.  All will come clear!

I also now need to get the other bits and pieces on to the fuselage, such as the gun pack, the nose cone and ventral fuselage pylons. The RV kit also has a few PE bits to add. Hopefully later this week I'll get that done and it will be filler and sanding time! To be honest, though, there is little need for filler. :)

Back soon.

Martin

• Like 5

• RidgeRunner changed the title to RV/KP MiG-23MF Flogger-B 1/72 - 30nov21 forward fuselage on, intakes on, etc

A bit more done on the Flogger :)

From these two images you can see that she is really coming together now. Since the last time I have tackled a few of the fiddly bits after spending a little more time researching things. 

Firstly, the nose cone is on. It isnt a straightforward cement and position as the joining face of the cone is slightly different to the matching face on the fuselage. Like the jet pipe it leaves a very small lip that will need a smidgen of filler and sanding. 

Next was researching and adding the two belly pylons. These are not included in the kit.  During the period of my build's career I havent established what was carried on these. The aircraft were tasked with air defence so you would presume a missile of somekind on a rail but I can't find a picture anywhere of that. So, it will be an un-used pylon for my model. For this I searched the spares and found the exact part in my Eduard MiG-21MF boxes of bits. They need sanding a little because on the Flogger they were recessed in to the fuselage. To mimic this you simply need to sand the joining edge flat. 

The upper two scoops are now installed alongside the fin.

The under-nose fairing ahead of the nosewheel is also on, after painting the interior black. 

Also the gun pack is now installed. Prior to cementing I drilled holes for the cannons. KP and RV would have you butt these directly on to the front face. I now need to search for brass replacements for these!

For the shoulder pylons I need to order a set of R-23Rs. RES-IM do some nice ones so I will get on to that. 

I have also added the triangular shoulder parts for the wing. These are slightly shallow for the receiving L-shaped space so I used some very thin plastic card to add shims.  

I will work on the windscreen now so that the filling process can begin. :)

Flogger19

Flogger20

You can see from these shots that I opted not to cut out the tailplanes. These will be stuck in place after I have fully filled and sanded the areas behind the wings.

Back again soon :)

Martin

• Like 7

• RidgeRunner changed the title to A predominantly RV MiG-23MF Flogger-B 1/72 - 03dec21 looking like a fast aeroplane!