RAF C-17 20th anniversary markings

canberraman

23rd May 2021 marked 20 years since the first C-17A Globemaster III arrived in Oxfordshire when ZZ171 was flown by 99 Squadron from Boeing’s Long Beach facility across the Atlantic to its new home at RAF Brize Norton. 

Initially, four C-17s were leased by the UK, but after quickly providing huge value to defence, the 99 Sqn fleet soon doubled to the outright purchase of eight permanent aircraft, with ZZ178 being delivered to the RAF by Boeing on 18th May 2012, just over a decade since the first aircraft.

Today, 99 Squadron is one of only eight C-17 operators outside the USA, and the UK is the only nation in Europe to operate an independent fleet of C-17s. The C-17 is the most powerful aircraft in the RAF, capable of delivering strategic effect anywhere in the world in a matter of hours.

Since it entered service with the RAF, the C-17 has been vital in maintaining the airbridge between the UK and Operations overseas. Providing support to Operation Herrick in Afghanistan was the initial core of 99 Squadron’s activity but it has since been instrumental in providing support to Operation Telic during Gulf War II, Operation Shader and the battle against Daesh, as well as supplying numerous anti-terror Operations in Africa.  Despite these huge commitments, the C-17 has also delivered humanitarian aid around the world during countless natural disasters, such as providing support to the British Virgin Islands in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma in 2017 or the aeromedical evacuation of critically ill British nationals during the Ebola crisis and more recently the COVID-19 pandemic, to name just a few.

To mark its 20th anniversary in RAF service, ZZ171 - the first delivery - had special markings applied to its fin. It is photographed here during a series of missed approaches at RAF Mildenhall on 19 November 2021. 

img

img

img

img

Thanks for looking. Hopefully the after market decal companies will produce this scheme.

Mark

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Gentlemen, many thanks for the comments and likes. I agree about where the last 20 years have gone,  time certainly travels more quickly as we get older ourselves :(

Mark

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

Gentlemen, many thanks for the comments and likes. I agree about where the last 20 years have gone,  time certainly travels more quickly as we get older ourselves :(

Mark

Tell me about it. I was on the pan when the first Tornado was delivered to Cottesmore. It was the dawn of a new age. Guess that’s finished now?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BillF67 said:

Tell me about it. I was on the pan when the first Tornado was delivered to Cottesmore. It was the dawn of a new age. Guess that’s finished now?

'Fraid so Bill. Tornado GR4 retired from RAF service in early 2019.

Mark

On 11/23/2021 at 6:51 PM, canberraman said:

Mark

time to retire it then soon, no? :devil:  (C4/5 anyone?) this was a leasing, stopgap contract initially if I remember correctly!

great pics by the way! a leapin' Puma that is?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, exdraken said:

time to retire it then soon, no? :devil:  (C4/5 anyone?) this was a leasing, stopgap contract initially if I remember correctly!

Probably the highest houred C17s in service anywhere but no doubt good for a few more years!

19 minutes ago, exdraken said:

great pics by the way! a leapin' Puma that is?

It is indeed, that's 99 Sqn's unit badge.

Mark

• Like 1

Well thats spoiled my day :D

20 years - no way I thought.  The mans jibbering I thought.

Surely he means 10 years I thought

Typo I thought

Was wrong then wasn't I :D

Er, thanks for bringing this to my attention then.

Really good pics though so made up for it 

Oh I'm getting old    :clif:

I can recall Leuchars bye bye Lightnings and hello Phantoms never mind Tornados/ Typhoons

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow, where has the time gone??!!

Lovely shots, were they taken from the mound?

Cheers

jon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonf45 said:

Wow, where has the time gone??!!

Lovely shots, were they taken from the mound?

Cheers

jon

Thanks Jon and agree about the time!

No these were taken from atop my ladder along the fence down Folly Road.

Mark

On 12/1/2021 at 10:13 PM, Brizeman said:

Like somebody else said ,where has the time gone?

Hopefully we have filled the time with good memories and dealt with the harder times with stoicism and humour... or at least tried to. Perhaps we have seen our modelling skills improve to keep up with the improved engineering of modern kits (or at least tried to).

Will the C-17 make 40 years of service, and if it does how many of us will be here to remember its entry in to service?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2021 at 21:10, Swamp Donkey said:

Indeed the passage of time is increasingly annoying! And if Canberraman will forgive me, here’s a little memory for Bill

2020-05-17-10-11-001.jpg

Cottesmore, September 1982

SD

I was there. Actually, I was there (with others of course) before the first a/c.

• Like 1