Canadair CT-114 Tutor drawings

Robin-42

I am planning on building the 1/72 Astra vacuform of the venerable Tutor. I had dismissed the Hobbycraft kit as it only bears a passing resemblance to a Tutor. I had assumed the Astra one would be accurate, but the only built one I could find showed some shape issues in the canopy, nose and wing roots. Is anybody aware of any drawings with cross sections? I would rather not try to eyeball the corrections. 

That's a tough one. I would have assumed it featured in AvNews, and possibly in the Aeromodeller range - I have a very dim recollection of an Argus ad featuring it.

The very first modelling mag I ever obtained had a review of the Astra Arrow, and I clearly recall some sections of it were paper thin. The Tutor may not be quite as problematic, but from what I recall of my Idea kit, it certainly does NOT suffer from thin parts...

Short of getting your hands on a VP resin Tutor, the Astra kit is the best you'll see.   I have all the iterations  of the CT-114 in 1/72 scale, the Astra kit being in the top 2.

PM me for more details and possible decals

Cheers, Tony

There was also a series of articles in the CAHS (Canadian Aviation Historical Society) on the Tudor but no good profiles. Perhaps if you contact the CAHS and ask about the author, Bill Upton, he may be able to help. 

5 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Short of getting your hands on a VP resin Tutor, the Astra kit is the best you'll see.   I have all the iterations  of the CT-114 in 1/72 scale, the Astra kit being in the top 2.

PM me for more details and possible decals

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony, decals are sorted thanks to https://www.abovebelow.ca. That’s what made me fish the Astra kit out of the stash. I also have the Can-Vac Tutor which has injection landing gear. I haven’t checked it, or it’s canopy shape yet. Have you built the Astra VP kits?

9 hours ago, tempestfan said:

That's a tough one. I would have assumed it featured in AvNews, and possibly in the Aeromodeller range - I have a very dim recollection of an Argus ad featuring it.

The very first modelling mag I ever obtained had a review of the Astra Arrow, and I clearly recall some sections of it were paper thin. The Tutor may not be quite as problematic, but from what I recall of my Idea kit, it certainly does NOT suffer from thin parts...

I have the Arrow, no problem areas with thin plastic on my copy. I have also built their CF100. Great kit.

1 minute ago, Robin-42 said:

Thanks Tony, decals are sorted thanks to https://www.abovebelow.ca. That’s what made me fish the Astra kit out of the stash. I also have the Can-Vac Tutor which has injection landing gear. I haven’t checked it, or it’s canopy shape yet. Have you built the Astra VP kits?

No, I haven’t, just have 2 VP Tutors done over the years.  I have a number of decal sheets from the VP kit, and a few old Arrow Graphics sheets from the late Howard Maclean.  I consider the Astra kit more accurate than the Can-vac kit, keeping in mind, I have 10 years experience with the CT-114 including a stint as an Airframe Tech with 431 Sqn.

cheers, Tony

7 minutes ago, Tony Edmundson said:

keeping in mind, I have 10 years experience with the CT-114 including a stint as an Airframe Tech with 431 Sqn.

cheers, Tony

I better not let you see it done then! And it will be a trainer, not those guys. Everybody builds them, just because they are so pretty! (Or that’s the only decals in the Hobbycraft kit!)