Losing Momentum for my TSR-2

TeaWeasel

I was lucky enough to snap up the 1/48 TSR-2 for a very good price a while back and even luckier to get hold of the *very* rare Eduard cockpit, but I've lost a fair bit of momentum in this project mainly over how to continue with the following concerns:

- Should I go for the aftermarket undercarriage/bomb bays? Will enough of the extra detail actually be visible to be worth it?

- How best to go about the weathering? I found a copy of MiGs magazine of weathering aircraft that had that kit in it but it does seem pretty advanced, and trying to get a lovely finish on anti-flash white is something I'm really not looking forward to.

- Mounting the bombs. I found a set of the dedicated WE.177s on eBay but the seller refused to sell them for some inane reason, so I had to go for the Shapeways 3D printed ones. They're very nice but don't include any way to actually mount them to the bomb bay. 

Overall it's a massive snag in what is otherwise a nice kit. I don't want to burn out entirely so I'm hoping that someone would have any advice or tips for the points above.

Thanks all

@TeaWeasel

Just a few thoughts.

As I'm sure you know, the government also got fed up with the TSR.2 so I wouldn't worry too much!

Seriously, the answer has to be it's up to you as to the lengths you go. I get regular access to the TSR.2 at Duxford, yes it's been restored but is pretty close to how it came off the production line. The U/C bays are clean with a bit of dirt but not much. As to weathering, all the pictures I have seen show them very clean - after all only 1 (2?) ever flew and then not many times and as a test airframe it would have spent a lot of time under cover. Did one ever actually carry a bomb load even in mock up?

As for getting that white finish. If you airbrush you will get better results than I can but if I am doing white, I build the model, prime with Halfords grey primer, check for glitches and do a coat of white primer. That said, the TSR.2 is a very different white to the Concorde it currently sits next to. The nearest car colour I can think of is Peugeot Ivory White - an old colour well gone from the Peugeot colour palette - think white 205 GTi.

This thread might help.

• Like 2

Adding aftermarket or not is in the end a personal decision. Personally I would probably go for the aftermarket bays, particlularly the wheel wells, as this is a relatively rare kit and I'd probably want to turn it into something very special. I have the 1/72 smaller brother and I'm also considering undercarriage and bomb bays. In my case they would be a serious increase in detail over the parts from the box, not familiar with the 1/48 one though so I don't know how much of an improvement these will be.

At the same time I also keep wondering if I do want to spend the extra money on those parts, and again this is a very personal decision.

With the resin bomb bays, I'd then not mount any bomb inside, as these would hide part of the detail. I would however try to display the bombs beside the model on a trolley or similar.

Note that though though the wheel bays are displayed open in on the museum pieces, in fact the all the main doors closed after the wheels come down.  If you are doing a bombed up operational aircraft then I would build the doors closed and not bother with bay detail.

It took me 6 yrs to finish my 1/72 😉

Edited by JamesP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

@TeaWeasel

Just a few thoughts.

As I'm sure you know, the government also got fed up with the TSR.2 so I wouldn't worry too much!

Seriously, the answer has to be it's up to you as to the lengths you go. I get regular access to the TSR.2 at Duxford, yes it's been restored but is pretty close to how it came off the production line. The U/C bays are clean with a bit of dirt but not much. As to weathering, all the pictures I have seen show them very clean - after all only 1 (2?) ever flew and then not many times and as a test airframe it would have spent a lot of time under cover. Did one ever actually carry a bomb load even in mock up?

As for getting that white finish. If you airbrush you will get better results than I can but if I am doing white, I build the model, prime with Halfords grey primer, check for glitches and do a coat of white primer. That said, the TSR.2 is a very different white to the Concorde it currently sits next to. The nearest car colour I can think of is Peugeot Ivory White - an old colour well gone from the Peugeot colour palette - think white 205 GTi.

This thread might help.

Thanks very much, I'll take a look. The magazine I mentioned also noted that it wouldn't be anywhere as heavily weathered as comparable aircraft. It looks around the right amount of weathering I want to attempt, and I agree that an airbrush would help. Thanks for the headsup on the slightly off-white tone. 

57 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Adding aftermarket or not is in the end a personal decision. Personally I would probably go for the aftermarket bays, particlularly the wheel wells, as this is a relatively rare kit and I'd probably want to turn it into something very special. I have the 1/72 smaller brother and I'm also considering undercarriage and bomb bays. In my case they would be a serious increase in detail over the parts from the box, not familiar with the 1/48 one though so I don't know how much of an improvement these will be.

At the same time I also keep wondering if I do want to spend the extra money on those parts, and again this is a very personal decision.

With the resin bomb bays, I'd then not mount any bomb inside, as these would hide part of the detail. I would however try to display the bombs beside the model on a trolley or similar.

I think that's the mindset I had when I bought it, I likely won't be getting another hence I want to make it something special. I think I will have to give in and go for the aftermarkets. 

49 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Note that though though the wheel bays are displayed open in on the museum pieces, in fact the all the main doors closed after the wheels come down.  If you are doing a bombed up operational aircraft then I would build the doors closed and not bother with bay detail.

It took me 6 yrs to finish my 1/72 😉

I think adding the bomb load will definitely help break up the monotonous white a bit with the green WE.177s, possibly as a "prepping for bombing-run" look if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TeaWeasel said:

I think adding the bomb load will definitely help break up the monotonous white a bit with the green WE.177s, possibly as a "prepping for bombing-run" look if that makes sense. 

I have both the 1/72nd and 1/48th TSR.2 kits in the stash and a fair bit of AM has been collected to make them special.  In regards to the anti-flash paint scheme it must be remembered that at the time of the prototype flying, the V-Bombers were in anti-flash white but not for long, once Gary Powers was shot down the high level delivery would be deemed suicidal.  The V- Bombers would soon be flying low level sorties and were camouflaged green and dark grey on their sides and upper surfaces, the white undersurfaces would be painted light aircraft grey later.  When WE.177 came into service, since it was carried in the bomb bay they were painted white with the appropriate warning bands and markings.  It was only after they were going to be hung on the undersides of Tornado and Jaguar aircraft that they were painted dark green.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi TeaWeasel.

I do a lot of scratchbuilding of rare types and sometimes I just cannot find the info I need or the method to overcome a particular problem so I don't. I put it down, walk away and ponder while working on other projects and often the solution will pop into my head or I will come across the info I need.

However, all the great advice above is all relevant and will help you overcome your concerns.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the support everyone. 

I got the TSR back out of the stack and had another go and the momentum's come back a bit. However I do have a huge issue with one of the aftermarket parts I purchased.

I bought the CMK front undercarriage but am having real trouble actually fitting it. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-4222-tsr-2-nose-undercarriage-bay--113731

For some reason it doesn't fully sit in the fuselage as well as the Airfix part, which has a few locating pins to hold it securely but the CMK part doesn't have anything of the sort. 

It's a rare enough kit, and I haven't been able to find any reliable info or pics on how this part is supposed to fit. Even CMKs website doesn't help as the photos appear to be of a different part. I'm also still learning how to navigate this site, so if anyone knows any resources that would help it'd be appreciated.

Cheers