RAAF No. 9 Squadron “Bushranger 72“ Huey - Vietnam 1970 - ***Finished with Pics***

mark.au

Happy New Year everyone, I hope you all had the NYE you wanted, and the same for 2022.

The Bushranger is on hold now, awaiting the materials and parts mentioned previously so this thread will go into a holding pattern until I come back to the project.

In the mean time, here's a sneak peak at some of my plans for 2022...

spacer.png

Speaking of which, I'd better fire up that new WIP thread...  😄

Cheers.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Happy New Year everyone, I hope you all had the NYE you wanted, and the same for 2022.

The Bushranger is on hold now, awaiting the materials and parts mentioned previously so this thread will go into a holding pattern until I come back to the project.

In the mean time, here's a sneak peak at some of my plans for 2022...

spacer.png

Speaking of which, I'd better fire up that new WIP thread...  😄

Cheers.

Now that has got the juices flowing! Not only a brace of Tarpons, but an RAAF P38 too (I've been lusting after the Tamiya kit for a while, but I thought it fell outside my self-imposed RAF/RAAF/RCAF/FAA guidelines - might have to copy you!!) I may need to lie down for a while in a dark room...

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Now that has got the juices flowing! Not only a brace of Tarpons, but an RAAF P38 too (I've been lusting after the Tamiya kit for a while, but I thought it fell outside my self-imposed RAF/RAAF/RCAF/FAA guidelines - might have to copy you!!) I may need to lie down for a while in a dark room...

A quick search has revealed that A55-1 sported Foliage Green/OD over Sky Blue - that is right up my street! 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dunny said:

A quick search has revealed that A55-1 sported Foliage Green/OD over Sky Blue - that is right up my street! 

Sounds like a good plan.  I had the same thing in mind but want to tackle a weathered Haze finish.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Sounds like a good plan.  I had the same thing in mind but want to tackle a weathered Haze finish.

Phew - I'd far rather you thought that you had inspired me, rather than me ripping off a good idea shamelessly!! Have you seen the Red Roo conversion kit? @Julien posted a review many moons ago (it's intended for the Academy kit, so not sure what your base kit is?):

Whatever the case, you've got my credit card finger twitching wildly - I'll look forward to it taking shape!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Some great models to come in 2022 Mark, looking forward to seeing these develope.   

Happy new year fella

Go on Roger, hit that button 😉I am suitably far away enough for safety, so you can tell SWMBO that I told you to !!!

:door:

Chris

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Some great models to come in 2022 Mark, looking forward to seeing these develope.   

Happy new year fella

Go on Roger, hit that button 😉I am suitably far away enough for safety, so you can tell SWMBO that I told you to !!!

:door:

Chris

You're a brave man Chris, but we are heading into thread hijack territory! Apologies Mark - too excited about Tamiya P38!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mark.au said:

Likewise to you Mark - looks like you have a busy '22 ahead! 😁

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All the required bits and pieces necessary to complete the weapons systems have made it safely to Aus... 

spacer.png

...with my Spitfire almost finished the Bushranger comes back on deck.

• Like 5

So, back to the Huey with the weapons systems.  I began with the rocket launchers.  This is what I'm aiming at...

spacer.png

Here's where I got to...

spacer.png

First I cut seven more or less identical lengths of appropriately sized brass tube.  Next, I bundled them, taped them to keep the still, and then used CA glue at both ends to cement them together.  When they were cured, I drilled out the glue residue from the tube ends and then used 2mm tape to create the banding.  Compared to the resin versions I think I'm ahead of the game.  With that done, a coat of dark green to start things off in the colour department.  They'll next get a wash with my dark goo, and then various treatments to wear the paintwork prior to attachment to the brackets.  

Interestingly, while I know I have a sight twist in my tubes it appears to match the slight twist visible in the reference pic.  That, my friends, is the level of detail I strive to achieve in my builds...  😉😄

In case we've forgotten where the helicopter is - I know I have 🙂 - here it is waiting patiently for its weapons systems (and doors, I mustn't forget those).

spacer.png

Edited by mark.au
Correct my Gr2 typos...
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on the launchers Mark great to get the twist too😉

Your eye for detail is very good anyway and they certainly look the business.

Chris

Thanks Chris, and here they are finished…

spacer.png

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good Mark, I have no doubt you will make a better job than those resin blobs! I think if those were my best, I'd hide my head!

Colin

Thank Colin.  Speaking of resin blobs, I also made a start on scratching the M60 ammo boxes because… well…

spacer.png

We have friends visiting from Sydney for the weekend so there will not be much modelling going on until next week.  Cheers.

• Like 8

On 1/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Mark,  enjoy your weekend. 

Chris

On 1/28/2022 at 1:15 AM, AliGauld said:

Those launchers look absolutely fantastic.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks gents, we had an excellent weekend.  I did manage to get some ninja [stealth] modelling done though, with a quick session Saturday morning and a couple of hours last night.  

I continued work on the M60s and their ammo boxes.  This is what I am aiming at:

spacer.png

...and this is where I got to.  I used small pieces of a cable tie to represent the ammo in the box (better seen in the pic at the bottom) and some square plastic stock to create the box itself.  The post is brass rod and the collar and plate it's on is a piece of biro pen ink tube extruded to the correct width and cut to length.  The bracket upon which the guns will be mounted had this curved profile when viewed from above so a simply made that from card stock glued at each end and wrapped around the brass rod.  It appears from these pics I have to square up one of the mounting plates 🙂

spacer.png

I then applied a base coat of OD in preparation for a bit of weathering.

spacer.png

While they are far from perfect and a little bit off my aspiration for them, I'm quite pleased with how they've come out.  Honestly, I'm operating at the limit of my ability (and eyesight) in this kind of scratch building and am taking it on through the inspiration of guys like Hendie, the Baron and AnthonyNZ.  What I've done is by no means in their class, but I think that it'll pass muster under some paint and weathering.  And standing back a metre or so 🙂

I also see the Huey has gathered some dust since I last worked on it.

Next up, I'll work on the guns and their ammo belts before moving forward to the Miniguns mounted up front.  When that's all done, all that will remain will be to attach the main rotor and its remaining linkages.  

Cheers;

M.

• Like 8