MiG-29SMT "917" 9-17 - 2005 MAKS Airshow, Moscow

Hi all,

Here I would like to start a new topic for Mig-29SMT "917" which will most probably take her place in my "Never ending projects" list (aka "Hall of Shame").

Several years ago I  bought dozens of Condor kits with various versions of Mig-21, Mig-25, Mig-29 and Mig-31 aircrafts. Last week when I was updating my kit inventory I have seen this Mig-29SMT 9.17 kit. Actually the kit is neither the production 9.17 nor the prototype "917". Therefore I decided to modify the kit slightly and use my own decals to finish the model (if you followed any of my other builds in this forum, you will quickly understand why I selected this finish. Simply it is in shades of blue...)

Here is the Condor kit I will use in this build:

2529.jpg

2530.jpg

2531.jpg

2532.jpg

In overall the kit provides sufficient payload. The fuselage panels are raised whereas wing and tail panels are engraved. The clear parts are very foggy and there are significant mark pins in the middle of canopy. I hope with a bit sanding and polishing I can improve this.

Serkan

• Like 1

Although intakes required a bit work for proper fit the fuselage halves and wings were assembled together relatively easy:

2544.jpg

2545.jpg

Using all available images from web I made my best guesstimate and created the below camo pattern and the paint mask:

2552.jpg

2553.jpg

Next step is to reshape the spine tail...

Serkan

• Like 2

As usual I did 3 view drawings and markings to check the vinly mask and decal artwork:

mig-29smt-917-9-17-2005-maks-airshow-mos

There is almost no reference picture of starboard side of this aircraft. But green "777" has very similar camo and some of above patterns and markings were created thanks to that aircraft.

Serkan

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Robert said:

Hi Serkan, here http://www.mig.mariwoj.pl/mig-29-9-17.htm and  http://www.mig.mariwoj.pl/big/mig-29smt_[917]_2005.jpg . The person that has done the drawing has said they as accurate as they can be apart from between the engines.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for sharing these links. I checked these views and camo patterns and the port side seems ok (because there are enough pictures taken from left side in the web). But the starboard needed some modifications. Also some patches on the wing and fuselage had to be corrected.

Serkan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silenoz said:

That's a bummer... good luck with the new canopies...

Thanks, definitely I need luck. I have made the silicone molds using the cracked master parts:

2551.jpg

Next step is to cast the parts with clear resin and see the result..

Serkan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks, definitely I need luck. I have made the silicone molds using the cracked master parts:

2551.jpg

Next step is to cast the parts with clear resin and see the result..

Serkan

Hi Serkan, interesting step 🙂 Good luck !  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The clear parts were casted using acrylic resin:

2619.jpg

The windshield looks fine but the canopy has a milky transparency. I have polished both clear parts using fine mesh polish cloths (2400, 3200, 4000, 8000, 12000) and also used tooth paste but as the canopy is too small to polish from inside it remains still milky.

I have ordered the Tamiya polishing compound set (all three tubes) and hope that they will make the canopy crystal clear.

Serkan

• Like 1