Primer for Vinyl / PVC

Reelyator

Hi folks!

During my ED-209 Build i had to realize that Vallejos Acrylic Primers do not bond so well on Vinyl Surfaces (the kit was washed, rinsed and dried before application).

Up to now i have not tried out laqued based primers on Vinyl because i have seen several comments that those should be avoided as the agressive solvent attacks the already soft Vinyl.

Has anybody here found a primer that works well with Vinyl? Any type of feedback is welcome, positive as well as negative!

The suggested solutions in the days of Airfix OO soft plastic figures and tank tracks were (1) prime with a coat of PVA glue or (2) prime with a coat of gloss polyurethane varnish. In either case, the items should first be washed thoroughly using a good degreasing liquid detergent (“washing-up liquid”) and then allowed to completely dry.

20 hours ago, Stu_davros said:

I find that Halfords plastic primer works really well on Vinyl....

Thank you Stuart!

Unfortunately i could not find any source for Halfords Products here in germany...

19 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

The suggested solutions in the days of Airfix OO soft plastic figures and tank tracks were (1) prime with a coat of PVA glue or (2) prime with a coat of gloss polyurethane varnish....

Thank you Michael!

...wow, PVA Glue through an Airbrush? I do not think, i will try this out...

But Priming with PU Varnishes sounds doabbe. I have some Valejo PU Varnishes somewhere.....
Is there any special reason, why you recomment a GLOSS PU Varnish, not satin or matt??

Those suggestions come from the days long before airbrushes were common. The materials (PVA glue and/or varnish) were recommended  to be brushed on, not sprayed. As to why gloss varnish and not matt or satin, I have no idea; that was the recommendation of the writer in the magazine, not me.  I don’t suppose it would make much difference, as long as the surfaces are completely covered.

Edited by Space Ranger

• 2 weeks later...