AW-159 Wildcat (1/10th scale (600 size) RC - Scratch build

Now that's what I'd call a model helicopter; I wish I had more room to build large scale models, less strain on the old eyes, too.  I spotted my first Wildcat the other week when the Navy were exercising off the east coast: it looked as though it was heading for Leuchars or Dundee. I saw my fist Lynx back in the 70s at an air show at Northolt: it flew a perfect (and quite low) loop. Looking forwards to seeing this model complete.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Been quiet on this one for a bit but plenty of work going on. I've now completed the major riveting all over the aircraft (Hence why I have been quiet) I am now in the process of making some of the other fittings ready for final assembly of the whole Heli.

All the following parts are scratch built from styrene sheet, No 3D printing involved here at all.

First up is the underside of the heli all marked out for riveting and relevant panels in place.  The rivets have been completed since this pic so I am now adding the other details. The Housing is for the retractable landing light unit which will be functional and will be with me shortly

52629905681_93868705ef_b.jpgDSCF4386 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

I've also been working on the cargo hook and mounting, just need final details on this now before it can be fitted :)

52630355345_a750befe6d_b.jpgDSCF4424 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

And lastly construction of the cockpit seats, I've managed to source some drawings to work from to get the correct dimensions and have modified those to the exact seats as fitted in the Wildcat. Seat Number 1 is quite well advanced and Seat Number 2 is not far behind. Just final detailing, Seat Cushions, Head rests etc to add yet. 

52625830421_312d0b8bf7_b.jpgDSCF4406 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

52626077149_d956a815db_b.jpgDSCF4408 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

52629345600_4ee312e418_b.jpgDSCF4416 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

52630051760_db18df4777_b.jpgDSCF4420 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

52630050775_3a5f2e7263_b.jpgDSCF4421 by Mark Stevens, o

52630152509_4972658e29_b.jpgDSCF4423 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

52629902511_126cbc965c_b.jpgDSCF4422 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

When the Seats are done, they will aid in getting the correct dimensions for making and fitting the centre instrument console (The one I made earlier is not correct and was only a rough build)

Mark :)

Edited by MDSCUSTOMS
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Both seats now at the same stage, I can now work on the head rests / cushions and other small details. Seat Belts / Harnesses have been ordered and will be fitted in due course (I'm using 1/10th scale RC car belts) 

52630859737_af7b286d3e_b.jpgDSCF4425 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

52631809595_72d9e2b753_b.jpgDSCF4426 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

I’ve followed the thread with interest but there is something I think I have missed - is this a static model or do you intend to add the RC gear etc?

Brian, this will indeed be an RC model and is the only one in existence at the moment so it is nice to combine traditional model making skills all in one thread. I am working on getting all the fuselage etc built (Mostly done now apart from final assembly) Purely done this way as the cockpit fittings needed to be completed before I could start closing off the floor and running lighting cables underneath and to the back of the screen displays on the instrument consoles. Now that the major part of that has been done I can concentrate on the proper assembly of the whole Heli including all the mechanics which will go in last. The mechanics are basically an all in one module which encompasses all the servos, engine and all the main running gear - quite a tidy set up . If you are familiar with the Morley A109 or Huey, it is using the same mechanics as both of those Helis.

Ps....It does say RC on the title of the thread ;)

Edited by MDSCUSTOMS

2 hours ago, MDSCUSTOMS said:

Brian, this will indeed be an RC model and is the only one in existence at the moment so it is nice to combine traditional model making skills all in one thread. I am working on getting all the fuselage etc built (Mostly done now apart from final assembly) Purely done this way as the cockpit fittings needed to be completed before I could start closing off the floor and running lighting cables underneath and to the back of the screen displays on the instrument consoles. Now that the major part of that has been done I can concentrate on the proper assembly of the whole Heli including all the mechanics which will go in last. The mechanics are basically an all in one module which encompasses all the servos, engine and all the main running gear - quite a tidy set up . If you are familiar with the Morley A109 or Huey, it is using the same mechanics as both of those Helis.

Ps....It does say RC on the title of the thread ;)

Thanks Mark. I had seen the title but I have never seen this level of detail in an RC model which was what confused me! 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 8:39 PM, brianthemodeller said:

I have never seen this level of detail in an RC model which was what confused me! 

Mark's not alone - brace yourself before clicking this link to a build thread of an RC 1/7 Alouette III RC on LSP.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 7:39 AM, brianthemodeller said:

Thanks Mark. I had seen the title but I have never seen this level of detail in an RC model which was what confused me! 

No Problem Brian. I have been into RC Helis for 40 yrs now and Scale was always the dream. I am retired now so I have the time to pursue it. There are many superbly detailed Helis out there (The one on the link the Zac has posted is another level and totally awesome) Although my stuff is still built in the old school way, 3D printing has definitely opened up the scale side on a lot of RC Helis in a big way ( & traditional static models) :)

There are many superb detailed and very realistic looking parts you can buy (although expensive) or if you have the skills with CAD and a printer, You can design & make them yourself.  The level of detailing that can be achieved is mind blowing. I have yet to learn CAD (Hence why I still do my stuff the old school way) Once I do, I will get a 3D printer and will be making my own parts on that.

For now, I have a good stock of styrene plastic as well as other materials and 2 Vac Formers. I can make most parts fairly quickly and in less time than it takes to design them in CAD and actually print them.

Thankfully the internet is a wonderful resource for photos, drawings etc and that is how I usually start a project by doing all the research first and building up a nice little folder with all the relevant docs, photos etc. Having contacts who work with the real Helicopter is also very useful.

Although my model is RC, I hope the build pics come in useful for anyone doing scratch builds / conversions of static models seeing as I am using the same techniques, just at a larger scale.

Edited by MDSCUSTOMS
  • Like 2

Centre console ready for some marking up and decals before the final switches & screens are fitted. I am now starting on remaking the front panel (the current one is slightly too narrow) 

52661997547_442cfb1af2_b.jpgDSCF4454 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

52662936940_da527fdd3b_b.jpgDSCF4455 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

Edited by MDSCUSTOMS
  • Like 3

On 12/1/2021 at 2:52 PM, junglierating said:

Good stuff what's your connection to the Wildcat?

Dont forget that stupid cb board on the forward bulkhead...front face..   stooopid Leonardo (helicopters not the premier division....electronics) 😁

Junglierating - I didn't forget the clipboard, The Wildcat actually has a special cubby hole for it and Maps etc at the back end of the centre instrument console (Handy studying photos of the real thing) So here it is, complete with scratch built tiny bulldog clip.

52664158153_a4d37b3571_b.jpgDSCF4458 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

• Like 5

Just found some better pics, the cubby hole I have shown is not quite right so is in the process of being corrected and refitted along with the 2nd one that I had missed. A little more digging for cockpit photos turned up some nice results.

I love scratch building and this scale is allowing you to go really deep with details.

You're doing an incredible job!!!

Those seats and instrument panels are wonderful and the clip is a gem!!!

I'll be following closely!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cockpit coming together nicely now, I still have a couple of small dials and switches to fit and of course the main screens. I need to print up some decals to go on before I can do those. I will also be making up the screens and fitting the fibre optic cable which will light them up. I redid the cubby holes and there are now 2 as there should be.

Last bits to go in will be the Cyclic / Collective pitch sticks. Seat belts / Harnesses are yet to be fitted (I have them here ready)

52688265177_e4b6f0ac0a_b.jpgDSCF4476 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

52689279093_b850fafae8_b.jpgDSCF4479 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

• Like 5

First of the screens now in, the displays will be done using transfers / decals stuck directly onto the screens and they will be backlit using fibre optic cable. You will notice I've left the boxes at the back of the screens white. This should hopefully improve the reflection off the fibre optic cable.  3 smaller screens left to do on the centre console. 

52704015620_648390387e_b.jpgDSCF4509 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Just a little update for you. I've had a few weeks break from this one but am very much back on the build now adding the remaining missing details. I am also actually starting the assembly now that some parts are done that I actually needed to do to progress to that bit.

More pics will follow shortly 

52891015380_7581702b9d_b.jpgDSCF4564 by Mark Stevens

Edited by MDSCUSTOMS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've only just come across this thread. I've been missing out on seeing some miraculous scratch building. Your work is incredible!

Richie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichieW said:

I've only just come across this thread. I've been missing out on seeing some miraculous scratch building. Your work is incredible!

Richie

Thanks Richie,

Much appreciated. I am really enjoying this stage of the build now that much of the hard work has been done. Plenty of pics to follow yet.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Doing a few remaining details on the sides before making up the sliding doors & Test fit of Footplates, I've since done some adjustments on the footplates & the mounting brackets as they should sit slightly lower than shown here :)

52942240748_f7a68c6600_b.jpgDSCF4573 by Mark Stevens, on Flickr

Edited by MDSCUSTOMS
  • Like 3