IVECO Hi-Way E5 Arbarth reference help

Pappy

G'day people,

I was gifted the 1/24 Italeri kit  and I have no clue about trucks as I mainly do jets. I have tried googling for pics of this subject and I mainly just get other people's build pics, nice as some of these are, I would like to build from original references.

Could one of the truck guru,s please point me in the right direction as the Italeri painting guide seems a little simplistic (being kind) and I imagine the engine, chassis and cab interior are more complex than the one or two colours the Italeri instructions would suggest,

cheers,

Pappy

Under the skin, trucks are generally fairly boring - engine and gearbox are usually the same (boring) colour, as they're assembled and then sprayed (including all the accesories such as injector pumps), diffs are black, air and fluid lines are sprayed at the same time as the chassis, and chassis rails are generally red or black or (rarely) in a customer specified fleet colour. Sometimes, literally everything's the same colour from the factory. Have a look at some generic factory spec truck photos to get the flavour. Things like air compressors and alternators, and exhaust manifolds will be different, but generally only black, bare metal or cast metal. 

Show trucks are different of course, but even a customised highway truck is usually drab underneath.

Hi Rob,

I take your point but this truck is a custom job with a racing team and I have seen a very similar "Arbarth" edition, however in  that case it was the 'Stralis' version vice the E-5, I dunno what the difference is but the chassis and transmission was a very dark gloss grey (not black or orange). Is there a vehicle walk around site that you could point me to? I have tried looking at the IVECO site directly but it is mainly full of model types and locations of dealers and service centres.

Surely there must be some auto modelling website that the truckies go to for their references? I would have thought that the Italeri truck would have pictures plastered all over the 'net,

cheers,

Pappy

On 22/11/2021 at 03:31, Rob G said:

Under the skin, trucks are generally fairly boring - engine and gearbox are usually the same (boring) colour, as they're assembled and then sprayed (including all the accesories such as injector pumps), diffs are black, air and fluid lines are sprayed at the same time as the chassis, and chassis rails are generally red or black or (rarely) in a customer specified fleet colour. Sometimes, literally everything's the same colour from the factory. Have a look at some generic factory spec truck photos to get the flavour. Things like air compressors and alternators, and exhaust manifolds will be different, but generally only black, bare metal or cast metal. 

Not true, the engine will be built and painted and fitted to a painted chassis, on mine the engine is a green colour, gearbox is silver, some air tanks are bare aluminium, all plumbing is different colours throughout the chassis. They build a basic chassis and add stuff after. 
when Frank the painter gets hold of a truck to re-paint later in it’s life then he will just blast all one colour but quickly paint will flake off rubber and plastic cables and boxes and burn off the hot bits and when you replace a part it will be manufacture colours. 

On 11/27/2021 at 2:32 AM, richellis said:

Not true, the engine will be built and painted and fitted to a painted chassis, on mine the engine is a green colour, gearbox is silver, some air tanks are bare aluminium, all plumbing is different colours throughout the chassis. They build a basic chassis and add stuff after. 
when Frank the painter gets hold of a truck to re-paint later in it’s life then he will just blast all one colour but quickly paint will flake off rubber and plastic cables and boxes and burn off the hot bits and when you replace a part it will be manufacture colours. 

Pretty much what I suspected as well.

Thank you very much for the excellent reference pics, I will be sure to refer to these when I get around to building this monster,

cheers,

Pappy