Airfix P40 B Warhawk 1/48 Flying Tigers AVG (note on supplied decals)

1/48 Airfix Curtiss P-40B Warhawk (A05130)

Presented as Curtiss Hawk 81-A2 flown by Robert T Smith of Nebraska (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Smith),

Kunming, June 1942

spacer.png

Nice kit – purchased at Marks Models Cork.

Easy enough build. Only problem with the kit really is the prop assembly fit a bit crappy, and the decals were very poor in many respects.

The Curtiss Hawk 81-A2 was the export version of the P-40B.

The first aircraft received by the A.V.G. were Hawk 81-A2 fighters originally intended for the RAF, and as such they were painted according to RAF guidelines.

As the cammo pattern shows on the top wing, the original roundels were painted over – some aircraft even displayed both for some time on the upper wing.

They were delivered to the AVG after a ferry voyage of epic proportions from West Africa, via the middle east and India to the legendary Flying Tigers - the American Volunteer Group (AVG) in China

While Curtiss did not have actual RAF paint stocks on hand, they used DuPont paints that approximated the colour descriptions given to them by the RAF

As I found the kit supplied decals to be quite incorrect, the roundels are incorrect, i.e. the are 1 point short – so I went with an aftermarket set from kits-world.

In addition to being of far better detail and being accurate, they also were of far better quality.

In addition to being quite incorrect, the Airfix supplied decals I found to be of very poor quality, with stencilling decals falling off while drying despite the careful use use of microsol and microset –

In short, if doing this kit out of box,

I would strongly recommend investing in aftermarket decals, the ones supplied are, frankly, doo-doo.

The supplied decals are incorrect, with 11 rather than 12 points on the roundel and are of poor quality

spacer.png

PAINT –

Primer AK 177 surface primer white – I was ot best pleased with it, lifted very easily, this may have been me not allowing it to dry long enough, but it was a serious issue for me.

Paint mask AML Hawk-81-A2 (ALAM 48 016) direct from AML web store. I must say the customer service was excellent, initially sent the wrong scale mask the mistake was rapidly resolved and the correct order sent without delay or hesitation.

Lower surface XF-75 IJN grey Kure Arsenal

Upper Cammo

Tan – blend XF59 / XF78 blend

Green XF26 deep green with XF-13 patches under flying tiger decals

Cockpit / wheel well green a mix of acrylic green and XF4 yellow green

Gear XF16 flat aluminium and XF85 tyre black

AK9080 flexible airbrush stencil for patchy / salt weather effect

Base gloss varnish – Pledge Restore-It (I believe this was known as Future Clear)

Final Satin varnish - Galeria

Weathering done with various oils and soft pastel based home brew pigments (Icon and Royal Langnickel - poundshop specials fixed with turpentine and hairspray)

Acryl pencils, Faber Castell / Derwent / Staedtler and Conte

AFTER MARKET

Kitsworld 1/48 Scale Decal Sheet KW148058

https://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=4&SUB=14

Paint mask AML Hawk-81-A2 (ALAM 48 016) direct from AML web store. I must say again the customer service was excellent.
Other P40 masks are available.

https://eshop.aml.cz/en/camouflage-1-48/727-curtiss-hawk-81-a2-of-china-af-wwii-camouflage-painting-masks.html

1/48 YAHU #4842 P-40 B/C Tomahawk, 3D, colored instrument panels, worth the investment for once, from the highly recommended and always excellent trinitymews ebay shop

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/accurahobbykits

spacer.png

Edited by simonj
decal update, prop assembly, shops
  • Like 17

• simonj changed the title to Airfix P40 B Warhawk 1/48 Flying Tigers AVG (note on supplied decals)

Cheers for the feedback Remus, sorry about the picture quality.

I made it because every collection I think should have a Flying Tiger, they have to be one of the most distinctive looking squadrons in history.

The original "Flying Tigers" insignia of the AVG was designed in early 1942 by Walt Disney Studios.

A Bengal tiger with wings is shown soaring out of a V for victory

'Although the Flying Tigers made famous the sharkmouth nose-art design, the RAF had been the first to popularize it during World War II. The RAF 112 fighter group was referred to as the “shark” squadron because its planes sported the sharkmouth design.12 It is interesting to note that the RAF had taken the sharkmouth design from the Germans who during World War II were the first to adopt the sharkmouth design on their Bf 110s of II/ZG 76. Years earlier, in World War I, the German Roland C.II Walfisch had a whalemouth design similar to the sharkmouth design. Other than in a few air shows where individuals painted their own planes, the sharkmouth design remained unused until World War II     when Germany brought it back.13 As it turned out, the Bf 110s with their sharkmouth adornments were not especially good planes, and the RAF took the German design and used it against them.'

(https://sites.google.com/site/aviationinamerica/home/the-flying-tigers-1)

Thanks for the feedback DNL and Bertie.

It was the first time I used Yahu - very impressive.

I may have made a mistake in the history, it may have been a later P40 E that was ferried from Accra, Ghana, to China - but happy with the outcome anyway