De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.21 WW189 451/J - Classic Airframes 1/48

21 hours ago, mark.au said:

Apart from a general comment on what a beautiful model you’ve produced, the nicest thing I can think of to say about this model is that I can’t tell it’s a Classic Airframes, nor that it’s brush painted.  Bravo!

Nice subject too, this FAA schemes are quite attractive, must get around to doing one myself.

21 hours ago, Graham T said:

Brilliant job!  I can't believe that is brush painted!  How do you get such a uniform & smooth surface?

33 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

That's a brilliant finish you've achieved there. Very inspiring for a fellow hairysticksmith 🖌️

Thanks again all, this one's turning out to be quite popular! 

I have no secrets about the paint; I sprayed with Halfords grey primer before lightly polishing/sanding with 1200 grit wet and dry. This was followed by 3 thin coats of hataka blue line (straight from the bottle). To finish, I varnished with halfords gloss lacquer followed by a light misting of humbrol 49 matt varnish spray.

Im thinking of converting to an airbrush soon :)

• Like 2

On 22/11/2021 at 09:25, jenko said:

Really nice.  I like that a lot. 👍

You know what will happen now...................

Airfix will announce one in the new year,:analintruder::doh:

Dick 

My thoughts exactly. I have been trying to source an Airfix Sea Vixen, but the prices are also horrendous. I've been waiting for a re-release, but I am sure it will only happen once I appease the gods of modelling by paying crazy eBay prices.

• Like 1

That is a superb finish Ben.

I’ve built a few 1/&8 RN/RAF types in Suez schemes but the Sea Venom is a serious gap in the collection. One day……….

• Like 1

That's just a brilliant looking model. Particularly impressed and pleased that it's a brushed paint job. Worth all the time and effort that's obviously been applied. 

Just before the pandemic hit, I sat in an ex RAN Sea Venom FAW.53 with an equally aged and robust mate. I took the AI radar operator's seat. To me, it felt like we wore the aircraft like a favourite jacket; cosy, protective and purposeful. I could well imagine hurtling over rough seas and trapping on a heaving deck in one of these. The experience has left a lasting impression and the aircraft has become a firm favourite. I must confess that squeezing in was one thing (gravity assisted), but egressing was another matter entirely.

• Like 1