Airfix 1/72 Dakota Mk.III - Built as RCAF No.437 Squadron at Arnhem

G’day all, here’s my just finished Airfix Dakota.

I really enjoy the Airfix kit, this being my second.  I’m working my way through the various iterations of FZ692 (still flying, now at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum) and this one was completed a couple of weeks ago.  I created the decals myself, and had them custom printed by an outfit in Sydney but otherwise there’s nothing out of the ordinary.

The pics…

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As usual, there’s a full back story to the build and the historical context in the full piece on my site (link in the sig, below).

Thanks for looking!  Cheers.

• Like 63

Mark you have really done this justice, what a lovely model.  Great work indeed.  These are lovely aircraft.  I have very pleasant memories of these coming in and out of Lydd Airport under Skyways in the 70s and early 80s, what a cracking site and sound. 

Great stuff

Chris

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Mark, that's superb.  What a cracker of a job - I'd be very proud of that.

Thank you, Jack.  It had its moments but I’m pleased with it.

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Mark you have really done this justice, what a lovely model.  Great work indeed.  These are lovely aircraft.  I have very pleasant memories of these coming in and out of Lydd Airport under Skyways in the 70s and early 80s, what a cracking site and sound. 

Great stuff

Chris

Thanks Chris.  I envy you having seen them fly regularly.  My own experience with them is less so, but I have flown in a Dakota and that was memorable for sure.

7 hours ago, Madmaks said:

Very well done. Very crisp and you seem to have given it a wash that left it with just the right amount of wear. Love it

Thanks mate.  Yes, I tried to keep everything understated in the less is more approach. 

4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's a beauty!  So sharp, and I really like the way you've depicted the overpainting of invasion stripes.  It's ever-so delicate.

Thanks Kenny :)  I didn’t want it to be in-your-face so glad it turned out that way.

2 hours ago, Jay Gee said:

Very nice job there Mark, beautiful finish.

Thanks Jay, much appreciated.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Remus389 said:

Excellent choice, the Dakota has a lovely shape. I also have one. 🙂👍

It does have a very pleasing shape, just looks nice whatever scheme it’s painted in.

Thanks for the comments @Dunny, @Bertie Psmith and @F-32; much appreciated.  Cheers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kapam said:

That's an extremely fine rendition of the new kit - one of the best I've seen!

I have the civilian DC-3 kit in my stash and would be chuffed to get anywhere near your standard.

:clap2::clap2:

Thanks mate, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.  This was also the civilian kit actually, far as I can tell the plastic is the same for all of Airfix’s boxings.

2 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thank you.

That’s so lovely Mark, not easy to get a realistic Olive Drab finish, however your efforts really works well on this kit. Nice choice of scheme too and those Custom made decals have turned out very well indeed. 
Cheers and vowel modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s so lovely Mark, not easy to get a realistic Olive Drab finish, however your efforts really works well on this kit. Nice choice of scheme too and those Custom made decals have turned out very well indeed. 
Cheers and vowel modelled.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Mark, that really is a superb model. Completely agree with your less is more approach to the weathering, the end result is looking suitably dirty and scruffy without being jarringly so. An absolutely spot on finish.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Mark that's a great job. Have the same model and planning to finish it as 435 squadron in Burma KK116, which is the plane my father flew. The plane is still flying (G-AMPY). I've seen the "Canucks Unlimited" one at the CWHM, but those are 436 markings. I have been searching to find anyone who may be able to help in this regard. Was it difficult to find someone to create decals?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

less is more approach to the weathering, the end result is looking suitably dirty and scruffy without being jarringly so. An absolutely spot on finish.

Thanks Harry, exactly what I was going for.

6 hours ago, BOBSCH said:

Mark that's a great job. Have the same model and planning to finish it as 435 squadron in Burma KK116, which is the plane my father flew. The plane is still flying (G-AMPY). I've seen the "Canucks Unlimited" one at the CWHM, but those are 436 markings. I have been searching to find anyone who may be able to help in this regard. Was it difficult to find someone to create decals?

Thank you Bob.  It will be a fantastic thing for you to build your father’s airframe.  

I created the decals myself, then had them printed for me by a commercial decal printer.  If you have good references, and a bit of patience I’d be happy to help with artwork design.  PM if you would like to chat more on that.  Getting them printed shouldn’t be a problem in Canada or the US.

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

Thanks Harry, exactly what I was going for.

Thank you Bob.  It will be a fantastic thing for you to build your father’s airframe.  

I created the decals myself, then had them printed for me by a commercial decal printer.  If you have good references, and a bit of patience I’d be happy to help with artwork design.  PM if you would like to chat more on that.  Getting them printed shouldn’t be a problem in Canada or the US.

Most of the decals are correct. I know generally the markings I have to add, but a lot of the planes were given unique names and markings. Appreciate your offer of help. Still hoping for some better pictures. I'll let you know.

• Like 1