Do posts without response in the ‘Wanted’ section get deleted after a while

I’m not really that bothered just a little curious.

I posted in the ‘Wanted’ section, it was a really long shot and I was not surprised that each time I checked there were no responses.

But I checked today and could not find it.  I checked several times and could not find it.  I even checked my activity in my profile and it is not there either - it as if it never existed - pretty sure I’m not going mad, certain that it did once exist.

Cheers,

Nigel

I've seen some folks' posts get deleted is when they have more than one post in a single section. I seem to remember one of the Mods "spring cleaning" on occasion, once For Sale posts get very old (and I would guess a lack of responses would play a role in this). 

Of course, the site management reserve the right to delete anything they deem offensive (I'm not suggesting that it happened to your Wanted post, by the way). 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

There are two reasons for a post going away:

1. You're allowed one post in each of the Buy/Sell/Wanted areas.  If you have two or more, they all usually get blitzed so it's hopefully memorable enough to be a teaching moment
  2. If your post hasn't had any replies in over 3 months, we do spring cleaning
  3. You've got a Buy/Sell thread without postage and packing and haven't fixed it after being asked to by a Mod
  4. No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition

Alles klaar? :)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mike said:

There are two reasons for a post going away:

1. You're allowed one post in each of the Buy/Sell/Wanted areas.  If you have two or more, they all usually get blitzed so it's hopefully memorable enough to be a teaching moment
  2. If your post hasn't had any replies in over 3 months, we do spring cleaning
  3. You've got a Buy/Sell thread without postage and packing and haven't fixed it after being asked to by a Mod
  4. No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition

Alles klaar? :)

How can I tell if I already have a post in the ‘wanted’ section.

Another forum I use also has a ‘only one post’ rule but the software that they use alerts you when you try to add a second and points you at the existing post.

I’ve searched the ‘wanted’ forum using my username and it returns no hits.

My post probably didn’t have any replies but it was significantly less than 3 months old, probably only a month old.

It wasn’t a Buy/Sell thread.

I’m not Spanish.

So … nein, alles ist nicht klar 😀

As I said in the OP, it’s no big deal, it was a real long shot so wasn’t really expecting any replies, I’m just intrigued to know what would have triggered the deletion.  If you had come back and said ‘no replies after 4 weeks’ it would have made sense but as far as I can tell none of the triggers that you have listed apply.

Cheers,

Nigel

17 hours ago, nheather said:

If you had come back and said ‘no replies after 4 weeks’ it would have made sense but as far as I can tell none of the triggers that you have listed apply.

It varies, depending on who is doing it.  I'd remove things after 3 months, but I can't speak for @Julien as he's weird :mental:

• Haha 3

Generally posts get removed after about 6 months of inactivity,

You can do a custom sort and sort by name of topic starter if you want to check if you have made a past already. 

You had two posts in the area so they were both removed. I sweep the areas on a semi regular basis and remove all posts not adhering to the rules. 

Julien

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Julien said:

Generally posts get removed after about 6 months of inactivity,

You can do a custom sort and sort by name of topic starter if you want to check if you have made a past already. 

You had two posts in the area so they were both removed. I sweep the areas on a semi regular basis and remove all posts not adhering to the rules. 

Julien

Thanks for letting me know.  The issue for me is that I didn’t deliberately break the rules.  I had no idea that I already had a post in there - it must have been very old.

Another forum that I use regularly (avforums) has similar rules but the software that they use it much more helpful - when you attempt to post a second topic it gets blocked with a message explaining that you already have a post and even provides a link to that post so you can decide whether it can be archived.

This is a lot more vague and less user-friendly, it let’s you unknowingly post a second topic and let’s it hang around for an indefinite time giving the impression that all is well until one day it magically disappears without any explanation.

As I said though, nothing lost.

1 hour ago, nheather said:

Another forum that I use regularly (avforums) has similar rules but the software that they use it much more helpful - when you attempt to post a second topic it gets blocked with a message explaining that you already have a post and even provides a link to that post so you can decide whether it can be archived.

This is a lot more vague and less user-friendly, it let’s you unknowingly post a second topic and let’s it hang around for an indefinite time giving the impression that all is well until one day it magically disappears without any explanation.

Well its all we have. I dont comment on what other forums do and dont do as I would not expect them to comment on ours.

• Like 1

• Julien locked this topic