Italeri 1/72 MiG-29 Black Archers IAF Combat Training

Some years back after getting the decals onto this build I just forgot about it and left it unfinished. I finally got around to gluing the last few bits and bobs, giving it a light wash and sealing it with a dull coat this weekend.

This is KB707 from No. 47 Black Archers Squadron of the Indian Air Force during air combat training in the 90s The kit is Italeri, decals are really old from Cutting Edge and paints are Tamiya. The build is straight OOB. The only thing I modified was drilling holes in the back of the missiles. 

KB707 in it's air combat training livery is a popular subject. The actual airplane had a centerline droptank and carried dummy missiles in that incarnation. Since I built this OOB - no centerline droptank and it carries full ordinance. 

Thank you for looking and and as always all comments are much appreciated.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 20

• Madmaks changed the title to Italeri 1/72 MiG-29 Black Archers IAF Combat Training

:goodjob: Love it. Old as that Italeri mould now is, wasn't when I bought it in 1991, it's still a decent 1/72 standoff representation of the original MiG-29 instantly recognisable as such which scrubs up very well in its warpaint. And nicest of all so very affordable and an easy quick build. Of course, not one for the super-detail fans not in the same class as more recent 1/72 offerings from Zvezda comparing directly with their Su-33 kit, but in 1/72 that does me well enough that I haven't bothered with a Zvezda MiG-29 reboot yet.  An aside, similar vintage and again not in the accuracy and detail league of Revell's for those seeking it OOTB, nevertheless Italeri's Tornado in the same scale looks the part well enough in 1/72 too.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 2:23 PM, Bigglesof266 said:

:goodjob: Love it. Old as that Italeri mould now is, wasn't when I bought it in 1991, it's still a decent 1/72 standoff representation of the original MiG-29 instantly recognisable as such which scrubs up very well in its warpaint. And nicest of all so very affordable and an easy quick build. Of course, not one for the super-detail fans not in the same class as more recent 1/72 offerings from Zvezda comparing directly with their Su-33 kit, but in 1/72 that does me well enough that I haven't bothered with a Zvezda MiG-29 reboot yet.  An aside, similar vintage and again not in the accuracy and detail league of Revell's for those seeking it OOTB, nevertheless Italeri's Tornado in the same scale looks the part well enough in 1/72 too.

Thanks @Bigglesof266 , I have the Airfix 1/72 Mig-29A as well in the stash that seems to be a nice kit and Zveda's Mig-29SMT. Fujimi and Hasegawa were disappointing due to the inaccuracies their kits have but I haven't tried the Revell kit yet.

• Like 1

She’s a great build, mate. :) It makes me think an Indian MiG-29 should be on my list ;). In the days of those colourful schemes there was so much variation. The MiG-21s and -29s all presented well. The early Fulcrums didn’t get the same treatment as they were on loan pending the Indian spec machines, as far as I know.

Martin

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 1:08 AM, RidgeRunner said:

She’s a great build, mate. :) It makes me think an Indian MiG-29 should be on my list ;). In the days of those colourful schemes there was so much variation. The MiG-21s and -29s all presented well. The early Fulcrums didn’t get the same treatment as they were on loan pending the Indian spec machines, as far as I know.

Martin

Thank you Martin! I too miss the more colorful schemes used on airplanes especially during air combat training. Nowadays most aircraft have all got some version of grey low viz single camo including those in the IAF inventory. No one seems to bother to check with us modelers to see what schemes we would prefer 😁😁😁

• Haha 2

On 11/22/2021 at 3:58 AM, Madmaks said:

Some years back after getting the decals onto this build I just forgot about it and left it unfinished.

An affliction I have experienced myself a few times - mostly from "exhaustion" after completing 90% to 95% of a build, but knowing the finishing touches seem to take just as long!

Glad you went back to get it done - inspiring!

It turned out extremely good in the end.

:clap2::clap2:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kapam said:

An affliction I have experienced myself a few times - mostly from "exhaustion" after completing 90% to 95% of a build, but knowing the finishing touches seem to take just as long!

Glad you went back to get it done - inspiring!

It turned out extremely good in the end.

:clap2::clap2:

Many thanks Kapam! I have an unsettling amount of builds languishing on my bench, each at different levels of completion. Trying to tell myself to finish those before I start something new.

On 11/24/2021 at 9:08 AM, RidgeRunner said:

The early Fulcrums didn’t get the same treatment as they were on loan pending the Indian spec machines, as far as I know.

My bad memory! Scrub that. I was thinking of the Flanker! 

• Like 1