High Planes Canberra B.2 Marham 90 Squadron

Hi Ian, I thought the HP kit didn't have the mudguards, so that's good in this case, The wheels are the later 'big' wheel which is quite diferant to the B.2 pattern wheel, but other than the very hard to find Aeroclub resin wheel there isn't really an alternative, unless the Russian outfit that do resin wheels do them, I can't remember the name of the company, sorry. The fuel vapor mast would be on the lower right hand side below the tail plain, but that was a later mod not on the one you're building so that's easy, just don't fit it! just drill a small hole on the side of the fuselage, if you can plough through all the pages my B.2 build will show you where it goes. I've attached your photo with some pointers, the two circled areas need filling on both sides of the nacelle as they are for the Avon 109 engine, I hope that makes sense? 

qjHULs.jpg

• Like 5

John,

Thanks for the info, that's exactly the sort of information I require. Regards the area above the engine during reprofiling I lost the thin oblong vent. Rather than cut it back in I think I will just paint it in. If all goes well I hope to get the High speed silver on tomorrow.

17 hours ago, canberra kid said:

The wheels are the later 'big' wheel which is quite diferant to the B.2 pattern wheel, but other than the very hard to find Aeroclub resin wheel there isn't really an alternative.

My MicroMir Canberra T.17 comes with two sets of main wheels - would the pair marked 'not for use'  be correct for a B.2?

If so, @The west wing, on one hand that would mean adding another Canberra to your stash, but on the other hand... ehm...no, I can't really think of a downside here.  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook said:

My MicroMir Canberra T.17 comes with two sets of main wheels - would the pair marked 'not for use'  be correct for a B.2?

If so, @The west wing, on one hand that would mean adding another Canberra to your stash, but on the other hand... ehm...no, I can't really think of a downside here.  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Hi,

Thanks for the info, at the moment all I want to do is get the model finished as it's Christmas present for someone who worked on 90 squadron Canberras, so the wrong tyres will be fitted. I hope to get away with it as the person in question was an electrician!

Todays coat of High speed silver went wrong, so rubbed down again🙄.

y4m1jNAXb9N0_2wYon47wDfiaFD7xy-U3ATtXMNE

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The west wing said:

Hi,

Thanks for the info, at the moment all I want to do is get the model finished as it's Christmas present for someone who worked on 90 squadron Canberras, so the wrong tyres will be fitted. I hope to get away with it as the person in question was an electrician!

Todays coat of High speed silver went wrong, so rubbed down again🙄.

y4m1jNAXb9N0_2wYon47wDfiaFD7xy-U3ATtXMNE

It should be ok Ian, Fairies no nothing about wheels :) Another question, do you get a choice of starter carriage fairings? If you do it's the short ones you need.

John 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hook said:

Cheers,

Andre

Andre, the "do not use" ones should look like the ones in Ian's post in answer to my question, the T.17 was a B.2 derivative, so it would have the same paten hub as the B.2.

John 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

High speed silver on and Yellow tail flash added.

I am still not happy with the high speed silver as it is showing up where the filler was underneath with dull patches. Next time I am going to use the gloss black undercoat as I used on the lightning as i think the gloss seals the filler surface. The matt gray undercoat did not show up the problem until the silver finishing coat went on.

y4mvOuymqLiRHWBRXw2UohKtRyXUXoEmFdbjtNm7

Aqua gloss coats on next.

• Like 6

On 19/12/2021 at 16:57, canberra kid said:

Looking good Ian, I'm sure he'll be knocked out by it! she'll look better when she's all dressed up, they always do!

John

One step forward, two back....

John you are right it's looking better now the markings are on.

y4m4MhJ2gJawOL6MVuADUN1brgwhCVnGI2r27noF

Engine inlets and wheels need fitting, final gloss coat and wingtanks need adding.

However a large curl of swarf has appeared in the bomb aimers nose window!

I think I will open up the flat section of the nose, extract the swarf and fill the hole with pva.

y4mvAoBHOAloPT7Ef3l0K6mEVkazBwV4XELUKtEt

3 hours ago, The west wing said:

One step forward, two back....

John you are right it's looking better now the markings are on.

y4m4MhJ2gJawOL6MVuADUN1brgwhCVnGI2r27noF

Engine inlets and wheels need fitting, final gloss coat and wingtanks need adding.

However a large curl of swarf has appeared in the bomb aimers nose window!

I think I will open up the flat section of the nose, extract the swarf and fill the hole with pva.

y4mvAoBHOAloPT7Ef3l0K6mEVkazBwV4XELUKtEt

Bloody Navigator, leaving his scarf in the nose! The fix sounds like a good plan. All in all looking good Ian, are you going to paint the Nav lights on the wing tips? 

John

• Like 2

Gone to fit the wing tip tanks only to find a big bubble in the resin. Filled this and offered up to see how good the fit is.

Both are Port side tanks !!!!

y4m_mDIVVo7PGEJtSO5qH_e-KaOB7D0XDZLOUFsR

So fill and reprofile again.

Don't think I will build a High Planes kit ever again.

Edited by The west wing
Duplication
  • Sad 2

On 30/11/2021 at 18:20, canberra kid said:

any reference have a poke around my web site, Canberra SIG or give me a shout, I'm always happy to help if I can.

John 

John thanks for all the help with this build. I have been a frequent visitor to your Canberra site, it is packed full of information and photographs.

Well the model has turned out as a tail sitter, but not much of a problem as going to be mounted on a base.

I will post on the RFI section the finished model on the base.

y4mG1oYX8h4dTJURlZYmgfTAE15oxYhB8tn2gBIk

Edited by The west wing
photo added
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Glad to help Ian, she looks grand! I'm sure your friend will be made up with her. If you hadn't been putting her on a base you'd have been justified in fitting the tail prop, not at all unusual for the Canberra. Let us know when she goes to RFI.

John

On RFI now.

• Thanks 1