High Planes Canberra B.2 Marham 90 Squadron

Hi,

With help from Canberra Kid i've identified a aircraft (WK115 ) I want to build for a surprise Christmas present for someone who worked on the Squadron and possibly the aircraft.

The starting point is the 1/72 kit from High Planes and a decal set from Hannants.

spacer.png

There was a crack down one engine and the port side is very warped, also note sink marks in the moulding.

y4mHxySEkrlhMojL3zDpn0Llf_OHIvN3uUTHfR8I

spacer.png

Edited by The west wing
better explination and name error
  • Like 7
  • Sad 2

The fuselage is now straight, I clamped the side down finger tight to a block of wood and used a heat gun to soften the plastic. It worked well but has left a slight dip where the trailing edge of the port wing fits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 24/11/2021 at 17:44, Gondor44 said:

Nothing some plastic strip and filler won't fix I hope?

Gondor

Yes I dont think it will be a huge problem, I'm treating the kit like a vacform and flat sanding the mating edges on a sheet of wet and dry. My main concern at the moment is how much extra weight will be needed in the nose to ballance it out. Ballance wont be critical as it's going to be glued down to a display base (I Hope!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Oh, the colors!

The translucent blue plastic is horrible to work with, having sanded down the dimples in the fuselage, it's shown up many more places needing filling. The model is going to look like a lepard soon!

• Like 1

I've run out of filler so waiting for some to arrive. Meanwhile the wings have gone on.

y4m6AGXQcC8lrDhRDcgWW1njgK3HolSw5o3TZIh-

A problem has shown up with the engine inlets, the port side is higher than the starboard.  I think I will have to cut off the inlet and try to drop it and reprofile the engine area. Looking from the side both wings look even so the problem looks to be with the shape of the engine nacelle.

y4mo6it3KQI-oTvG5IcLQoVphbS1rwmR42v_42pa

• Like 5

On 11/21/2021 at 7:04 PM, The west wing said:

Hi,spacer.png

Yikes!!! The only time that I had faced such a part-wrap was when I bought an old sealed box of the ESCI 1/48 S-3 Viking from a friend. I mean the wings, all four parts went straight to the bin!!!

Good luck mate!

Cheers,

Bill

P.S.: OK, now I see how you have dealt with it! Now, that's craftsmanship!!!

Edited by Shalako
  • Like 1

On 30/11/2021 at 18:20, canberra kid said:

Looking good Ian, it's not an easy build by any means but it's still the best B.2/6 kit around. If you need/want any reference have a poke around my web site, Canberra SIG or give me a shout, I'm always happy to help if I can.

John 

Thanks, i've been looking at the site and has helped. Please keep an eye on the build so I don't make any silly mistakes.

• Like 1

Engine inlet reprofiled

y4m5iDJw2u-4h4D7xYU8fFVs-kk7Z5LohgIn6Hx5

Sink marks filled

y4mkf_f5LkadBlV8h92ZSXDtfboDQBdnEywcFzJ8

y4mA66nS8_znGSFIdIaedkquKh-Z6aaGAbY51xgw

Checking over the model at this point I noticed the tailplane from above looked wrong from above as was not even. It was then removed and to bring it right another gap now needs filling.

y4mPG4_9Ftsd1eOMoJvRSb3mAVdLYlEDnX81afr7

Hope to get a first coat of grey alclad undercoat on tomorrow.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, The west wing said:

Thanks, i've been looking at the site and has helped. Please keep an eye on the build so I don't make any silly mistakes.

I don't think I'm going to chip in much Ian, t looks like you're on top on the curve on this build.

John

• Like 2

Canopy on and starting to mask, I made an error again in using Vajello filler around the canopy. I've used it in the past and had problems with it peeling off, same problem again, why do I never learn?

y4maVAc4OetcXJrK6IGD6i_-y_LrdmYqM4GDzX59

Working on the undercarriage now, Canberra Kids IPMS Canberra SIG page is very good for the details. I did not realise the Canberra belly was only 2 foot off the ground  so trying to adjust the legs to provice the scale 8.5mm gap and keep every thing level.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Shaping up nicely Ian, don't forget not to add the fuel vent mast and nose wheel mudguards (if included?) What are the main wheel hubs like?

John 

John,

These are the wheels

y4mlFayzC0w4AHRz9S05ghxFJWuWcWPuRKXCLl6r

I've had a look but can't find where the fuel vent is. The only thing I can see I need to add is the pitot tube under thr nose. The brass etched parts suppled with the kit look to be for later aircraft and no reference is made to it in the instruction sheet.

y4mc1WhoQJ3ByCqlW1BueSBGRzLb2Ky5M3Qfv0zf

The last under coat is on, i think all i need to do now is add the pitot tube and (fuel vent?) also drill out the holes on the engine inlets. No mudguard in the kit, but ok as not visible in the picture you posted for me on the Cold War thread.

y4mrxo9IgJY1O8PZ78mVfakF0U5XHoIxlTL9twYR

Edited by The west wing
  • Like 8