US Navy F-4B Phantom Decals (D48093) 1:48 Eduard (For Tamiya Kit)

Julien

US Navy F-4B Phantom Decals (D48093)

1:48 Eduard (For Tamiya Kit)

spacer.png

We all love a Phantom and the new F-4B from Tamiya is a cracking kit. The kit though only has three schemes, and the decals from Tamiya are on the thick side. This new set from Eduard gives us 5 new schemes fro the kit along with the correct walkways for them, national insignia and Jet Intake warning triangles. It should be noted that only 2 of the schemes will fit the new kit from the box as they are for the late F-4B. If you want to model one of the other schemes you will need early fin cap. If you need the early cap then these are available from Hypersonic model or CMK.

The 5 options in this set are;

• 151478 - VF84 "Jolly Rogers" AG211, USS Independence, South East Asia 1965
  • 153020 - VF92 "Silver Kings", NG204, USS Enterprise, South East Asia 1968
  • 148417 - VF-121 "Peacemakers", NJ121, NAS Miramar, 1964
  • 149461 - VF-32 "Swordsman", AB212, USS John F Kennedy, Med Cruise 1972
  • 153018, VF-114 "Aardvarks", NH205, USS Kittyhawk, South East Asia 1968

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The three sheets are printed by Eduard and have good register, sharpness and colour density, with a glossy carrier film printed close to the edges of the printed areas.

Conclusion

This is a great set from Eduard which give you different marking options from the Kit, with the added benefit that they are thin and should go down with no issues. Highly recommended. 

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, redcap said:

Nice review Julien thank you.

By chance, are these the 'traditional' style of decals or those recent 'peel off film when dry' types which Eduard seem to have embraced?

Thank you.

Gary

Given the production date is 2021 according to Eduard yes.

"Regarding the new decals - they can be recognized by having a production date on them - 23.06.2020 and forward.
Its true the coat can be removed once dried, but it requires some skills and experience. We do not suggest to our customers they should or need to do this. The decals can be worked with the same way as before- with the older once.
So using the method of removing the top layer is up to the customer - at their own risk."

From what I have read this was an unintended side effect of the new printing process and you dont have to remove the top coat if you dont want to. 

3 hours ago, redcap said:

Nice review Julien thank you.

By chance, are these the 'traditional' style of decals or those recent 'peel off film when dry' types which Eduard seem to have embraced?

Thank you.

Gary

Gary, I've used the other new decal sheet that they released on my current build and they are indeed the 'peel off' sort. That being said, they settle well under some Mr Mark Softer and under a high gloss the excess film pretty much disappears. 

I also used Eduard's new stencil set and they look great with the carrier film peeled off. I'd highly recommend the stencils for any builds.

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Gary, I've used the other new decal sheet that they released on my current build and they are indeed the 'peel off' sort. That being said, they settle well under some Mr Mark Softer and under a high gloss the excess film pretty much disappears. 

I also used Eduard's new stencil set and they look great with the carrier film peeled off. I'd highly recommend the stencils for any builds.

Cheers Dave, stencil review coming soon. They are so much better than the kit ones.

5 minutes ago, Julien said:

Cheers Dave, stencil review coming soon. They are so much better than the kit ones.

They're excellent! Thin and no silvering. Even with the carrier film on they settle down well but if the care is taken to peel the film, they look painted on.

I have a Hasegawa F-4B that I obtained without any decals and think these decals would be a good repacement.  I am interested in this 'peel-off' type.  Without hi-jacking Julien's thread, is there another thread or link somewhere that describes this in more detail?

Mike

5 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I have a Hasegawa F-4B that I think these decals would be good for and I'm interested in this 'peel-off' type.  Without hi-jacking Julien's thread, is there another thread or link somewhere that describes this in more detail?

Mike

Start at Page 50 

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2021/info-eduard-2021-05-enrr.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1