Messerschmitt Bf109E, Airfix 1:24

neilg

I started this build about two months ago, but it's been slow-going. 

The clocks going back didn't help, getting home after work in the dark so I couldn't easily use the spray paints outside.

I was at Telford last Saturday, and that spurred my motivation and I've finally got this finished.

It was my first time there - some of the models on display there... wowww!!

Although this build does not come close to the finish of some of the models I saw last weekend, I'm glad I have this one in my collection now.

The tooling is from 1972, but I was really impressed with how this kit went together.

One part is missing - one of the two tiny bulges from the underside of the wing.  It must have broken off in the bag, which I have since thrown away...

IMG_5529

IMG_5530

IMG_5534

IMG_5533

IMG_5532

IMG_5531

IMG_5535

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

Wow , that s turned out really well :goodjob: i have this kit in my stash and your model has inspired me to dig it out.

I am surprised that very little aftermarket upgrades are available for this kit , except for wheels , there seems to be nothing else available .  :fraidnot:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

That’s a beautiful ‘109. Nothing wrong with “factory fresh”.

Factory fresh is all I can do - weathering is a skill I do not have!

Although I bought a palette of weathering powders.  

I may have a go at dirtying it up.

59 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

Very nice 109E, may I suggest adding the Swastika’s to the tail fin?

The decal sheet for the schemes in this kit does not have swastikas.

This is the one that I chose:

IMG_5539

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:51 AM, neilg said:

The decal sheet for the schemes in this kit does not have swastikas.

You would need aftermarket decals for that - I believe Airfix and others are shy about including them on decal sheets, due to certain laws pertaining to Nazi imagery.

However, you have done a brilliant job of that in any case!

:clap2::clap2:

• Like 1

Hi,

an impressive build for sure, especially when standing next to its 1/72 cousin.

A "factory-fresh" build is cool. Nothing wrong with it: your model, your choice, and as long as you re happy with the end result, it is perfect!

Beside the swastika, Airfix made a boo boo with the marking. It should not be a yellow 1 on the fuselage, but a yellow vertical bar, which is the mark of the third Gruppe in the Geschwader; more precisely the third staffel of the third Gruppe.

But, who is going to know in your neighborhood?

A great job indeed.

JR

• Like 1

Lovely build of this quite aged kit, so much so you can't tell just how old the molds are.

Is this the well known example shot down on the 31st August as that one had the earlier style canopy, but saying that there must have been a later 10+I with the later style fitted as well.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

No swastikas etc allowed in Germany nowadays, maybe Airfix don't include em for shipping? (Tamiyas' always get cut out. Most of the time...) Fine by me. And should be fine by you if you like it that way. Always stop working when it's aaaall-most perfect! or you wreck it ;)  One more yellow-nose-less Emil, like it very much!

• Like 1

Lovely looking Emil. Great work, and always nice to see another Airfix Superkit built up. We don't see too many. Agree with the others: Just needs the Swastika on the tail to finish it off.

On 11/21/2021 at 11:30 AM, keith in the uk said:

I am surprised that very little aftermarket upgrades are available for this kit , except for wheels , there seems to be nothing else available .  :fraidnot:

I thought I saw someone on eBay doing a wheel well set for the big Emil. Besides that, the only other thing I've ever seen was a photo etch set produced by a guy called "Old Etcher Fred" in the US. I picked up a couple of sets many moons ago and it's a lovely set of extras. I'll add a photo when I get the chance. I'm not sure if it's still available or not.

Steve

• Like 1

On 23/11/2021 at 12:07, jean said:

Hi,

an impressive build for sure, especially when standing next to its 1/72 cousin.

A "factory-fresh" build is cool. Nothing wrong with it: your model, your choice, and as long as you re happy with the end result, it is perfect!

Beside the swastika, Airfix made a boo boo with the marking. It should not be a yellow 1 on the fuselage, but a yellow vertical bar, which is the mark of the third Gruppe in the Geschwader; more precisely the third staffel of the third Gruppe.

But, who is going to know in your neighborhood?

A great job indeed.

JR

That's quite interesting - the box art doesn't have a yellow 1, rather it has the vertical bar as you explained.

• Like 1