Concorde

BillF67

Grandkids want to buy me a Christmas present. I would like a Concorde. Which would the gestalt recommend? Scale is not important, quality of kit and decals is!

Thanks in advance

Bill

Airfix were supposed to be releasing a 1:144 Concorde this year, but so far it still looks like it's unreleased.

I have no idea if it's going to b the same tooling as their earlier versions, but hopefully they will issue a more complete decal sheet with it.  I think that was my biggest gripe about it; there were so few decals.

The website isn't giving away much information.

The Revell kit has a great decal sheet.  

Revell's 1983 1/144 has a droop snoot, but you might some correction parts if you want it to look right with the nose down (with the nose up its fine). Airfix are rereleasing their 1977 Concorde at £33.... Not far off twice as much as you can expect to pay for Revell's one! And it has no droop snoot option! They also rereleased their prototype-ish Concorde from 1966 for about £19 or so. 

But really you know you want the nice modern 1/144 scale ICM....... Tu144!

IMG_20210607_190420204

• Like 3

Adam, I admire your Concordskis - a good model is good, regardless of subject matter. But……..nah.

Ive looked at the suggested options and, so far, I’m leaning toward one of the the Airfix, simply because of the BOAC prototype option. I love the dark blue scheme.

Thanks to all so far.

Bill

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BillF67 said:

This is the one I’d like. Any comments on it?

Concorde

1966 kit, not particularly accurate but still looks the part. Predates the first flight. Visor parts are not moulded clear. You'll need to scratch build intake splitters. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BillF67 said:

This is the one I’d like. Any comments on it?

Concorde

The decal sheet is excellent so no worries there. The kit is from 1966 and needs 'care' when assembling to get everything square and true. The decals have the fuselage stripe and nose but you need to paint the fin. Be very attentive with the wing halves and the fit to the fuselage sides, a bit of thought and dry fitting can give a very good join with minimal clean-up. Align the top surface rather than the underside if there is a discrepancy. Far, far easier to clean up.

To paint the white I'd suggest using Halfords rattle can white primer built up with 2-3 light coats then misting Ford Polar white or whatever you prefer over the top.

There is a 1/48 kit available too  http://shop.hphmodels.cz/en/model-kits-in-scale-148/82-concorde-101102-v-meritku-148.html unfortunately the flat could only hold me or the plane otherwise I'd certainly have one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

6 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

The decal sheet is excellent so no worries there. The kit is from 1966 and needs 'care' when assembling to get everything square and true. The decals have the fuselage stripe and nose but you need to paint the fin. Be very attentive with the wing halves and the fit to the fuselage sides, a bit of thought and dry fitting can give a very good join with minimal clean-up. Align the top surface rather than the underside if there is a discrepancy. Far, far easier to clean up.

To paint the white I'd suggest using Halfords rattle can white primer built up with 2-3 light coats then misting Ford Polar white or whatever you prefer over the top.

There is a 1/48 kit available too  http://shop.hphmodels.cz/en/model-kits-in-scale-148/82-concorde-101102-v-meritku-148.html unfortunately the flat could only hold me or the plane otherwise I'd certainly have one.

VMT Sleeper. Is the fin blue a good match? I assume there’s a Humbrol call-out?

19 hours ago, BillF67 said:

VMT Sleeper. Is the fin blue a good match? I assume there’s a Humbrol call-out?

Yes H15 Gloss Midnight Blue, you'll also need H53 Gunmetal and H11 & 33 for the landing gear and tyres. It looks OK to me on models I've seen painted.

Very little flash on my kit and it builds up OK. There is plenty of scope to super-detail it if you want to without spending a fortune on bits. The parts on the 48th kit I linked are a reasonable guide and the real thing is at IWM Duxford so plenty of shots available online. 

• Thanks 1

I recently built four Airfix Concordes, three prototypes and a production British Airways model.

spacer.png

One of them was the BOAC one but a Seventies boxing so I used the decals from the recent release:

spacer.png

I didn't correct any inaccuracies because my logic says that the Airfix prototype boxing was more of a "what-if" based on an artist's impression and so my build is an "accurate inaccurate" one.

I used H15 Gloss Midnight Blue for the tail and decals for the rest. However, if I was making a BOAC one again, I would dispense with the cheatline and nose decals and paint them instead as the nose decals are a real pain to get to conform to the shape of the nose!

Dave

• Like 9

That is a beautiful build of the most beautiful aircraft ever built (others think different but they are wrong 😛 )

I found Humbrol decalfix softened the nose decals enough to get then into place and settled but it was a long job. My friend's lad is very happy with it which is what matters.

• Like 3

Revell is fine; one can build a decent Concorde out of of it. I might get me another one and do a fictional Pan Am livery. 

On 11/21/2021 at 10:02 PM, Adam Poultney said:

But really you know you want the nice modern 1/144 scale ICM....... Tu144!

Aaah, I need to finish mine. Just need to clean it, mount some wires for the antennas and mount it on the stand. Great kit, btw. But I do think it looks better with the dachshunds ears folded in... 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the new Airfix Concorde in 1:144, the "Last Flight of Concorde" gift set.

The tooling is the same as the older kits - it dates from 1977.

The decal sheet is by Cartograf, but they are not as extensive as the Revell decal sheet.

The decals also lack the feathering on the Speedmarque ribbon and on the tail:

IMG_5613

For a gift set, I understand that the requirement is to have an easier-to-build kit with fewer decals, but considering how long Airfix has had to design a new decal sheet based on G-BOAF, which is on public display, it's disappointing to see the decals aren't accurate, and are missing things like the no-walk markings on the upper wing surfaces, and the black intake markings.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, neilg said:

I just received the new Airfix Concorde in 1:144, the "Last Flight of Concorde" gift set.

The tooling is the same as the older kits - it dates from 1977.

The decal sheet is by Cartograf, but they are not as extensive as the Revell decal sheet.

The decals also lack the feathering on the Speedmarque ribbon and on the tail:

IMG_5613

For a gift set, I understand that the requirement is to have an easier-to-build kit with fewer decals, but considering how long Airfix has had to design a new decal sheet based on G-BOAF, which is on public display, it's disappointing to see the decals aren't accurate, and are missing things like the no-walk markings on the upper wing surfaces, and the black intake markings.

Thanks for sharing Neil.

I was considering buying this too,but it seems a bit of a disappointment and a hurried release (probably eager to get it out before christmas),

The decalsheet is really a very basic one,and quite a letdown compared to their superb Trident decal set for example.

I will decide to get one or not,depending on the price tag here.I actually fancy the Airfix kit over the Revell one,because of its easier build and better moulds even if it lacks surface detail.The Revell kit actually suffers from heavy flash and worn out moulds which shows in fitting issues.

Don't forget that F-DCAL do sheets for all three BA Concorde liveries - Negus, Landor and Chatham. I know it adds to the cost and F-DCAL's customer service is sometimes erratic but it's an option to consider.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...