Question: article Don Muang Thailand airfield in old Airfix magazine c1968

28ZComeback

Hello all, 

Many years ago I ran across an old 1968 Airfix magazine article about the Don Muang airfield in Thailand, 1945-1946, with about 12 photos taken by RAF airmen near the end of the war. Several rare aircraft were depicted including Siamese H-75 Hawks, Ki-21's, Spitfires and Dakota's. Does anyone recall the volume and month?  I had a copy

and lost it, and now need it. Thank you 

I think this may be the answer to your question:

Vol.9 No.6
February 1968
Fighting Colours part 5: Fighters From Overseas (Curtiss Mohawk IV)

I don't have it available to scan for you but I am sure someone will.

Dave

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Many years ago I ran across an old 1968 Airfix magazine article about the Don Muang airfield in Thailand, 1945-1946, with about 12 photos taken by RAF airmen near the end of the war. Several rare aircraft were depicted including Siamese H-75 Hawks, Ki-21's, Spitfires and Dakota's. Does anyone recall the volume and month?  I had a copy

and lost it, and now need it.

3 hours ago, davecov said:

Vol.9 No.6
February 1968
Fighting Colours part 5: Fighters From Overseas (Curtiss Mohawk IV)

I have that issue, but don't have it scanned. I'll scan it tomorrow. Send me your email address in a PM.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Hello all, 

and lost it, and now need it. Thank you 

I have the copies below from Airfix Magazine, October 1968. I seem to be missing p.80. IIRC, it had no pics. If you want scans of any of the individual pics, PM me. 

Peter M

1cfb9a63-5bf7-4f52-8fb1-6b321c3dca22.jpg

530af7a9-ec5d-4c6a-a704-f536bc43b624.jpg

• Like 6

That's a good get from yesteryear! 

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about the numerous Michael JF Bowyer penned 'Army Air Colours' articles that appeared in the Airfix magazine during the mid-1970's. 

I've just found this website link and would suspect that it would also be a good resource to search for other similar magazine articles of the day - https://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/contents/airfix-magazine-1970s-contents-listing.htm

It's a shame that this Army series did not follow in book form in similar vein to both Mr. Bowyer's Fighting & Bombing Colours books from the same period. 

Cheers and regards... Dave  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, EwenS said:

You can find about 50  of these old Airfix Magazines 1960-74 on line here

https://archive.org/search.php?query=airfix+magazine&and[]=subject%3A"airfix+magazine"&sort=titleSorter&page=1

Thanks @EwenS, I’ve so far found the first 14 Army Air Colours articles from that link (Oct 1975 onwards). There seems to be no 1977 issues, however that may change as more magazines are uploaded. Once again, thanks for sharing this great piece of info. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's a good get from yesteryear! 

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about the numerous Michael JF Bowyer penned 'Army Air Colours' articles that appeared in the Airfix magazine during the mid-1970's. 

I've just found this website link and would suspect that it would also be a good resource to search for other similar magazine articles of the day - https://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/contents/airfix-magazine-1970s-contents-listing.htm

It's a shame that this Army series did not follow in book form in similar vein to both Mr. Bowyer's Fighting & Bombing Colours books from the same period. 

Cheers and regards... Dave  

I have that series scanned - PM me an email address if you'd like a copy. Anyone who would like the magazines can pick them up from me in S.Devon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, rossm said:

I have that series scanned - PM me an email address if you'd like a copy. Anyone who would like the magazines can pick them up from me in S.Devon.

That’s awfully kind of you Ross, PM on its way. 

Cheers and many thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

In the paragraph one before the last one in in the article there is mentioned presence of Brequet biplane two seater (Breguet XIX I guess). I doubt, if the author did not mixed her up with Potez XXV, which was in use in French Indochina even after the end of WW2. The Bregs XIX were withdrawn from French army well before WW2....

The machine on photo No 7 is described in text as Piper Cub, but is is radial engine machine, I have also doubts here if the identification is proper.

Regards

J-W 

• Like 1

I don't know about Thailand, but all over the world quite a few Piper (and Taylor) Cubs flew a variety of small radial engines including the 3-cylinder Aeromarine, Szekely and Lenape, as well as the small 9-cylinder Salmson.

Indeed, the Bre XIX would be an interesting peculiarity here, but the Siamese Air Force used 40+ Breguet XIVs until 1937. Note that in another caption the author is reminiscent of the Bristol Bulldog and two WW1 relics - namely a V8 Spad and a rotary-engined Nieuport. So why not a Bre XIV?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just sent 28ZComeback the article referenced by davecov, but it's obviously not the one he was looking for. I have that comprehensive index to the old Airfix Magazine, and the only article I could locate that fits the description is a Photopage  entitled “Aircraft in Thailand.” It is from the March 1982 issue (vol. 23, no. 7), and I unfortunately do not have a copy of that issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KRK4m said:

I don't know about Thailand, but all over the world quite a few Piper (and Taylor) Cubs flew a variety of small radial engines including the 3-cylinder Aeromarine, Szekely and Lenape, as well as the small 9-cylinder Salmson.

Indeed, the Bre XIX would be an interesting peculiarity here, but the Siamese Air Force used 40+ Breguet XIVs until 1937. Note that in another caption the author is reminiscent of the Bristol Bulldog and two WW1 relics - namely a V8 Spad and a rotary-engined Nieuport. So why not a Bre XIV?

Cheers

Michael

The Thais did in fact have over 90 Breguet 14A and 14B. The first eight were received circa 1919. Thereafter the Thais built at least another 88 in the first half of the 1920s. In Thai service they were initially designated B.Th.1, this later being changed to Type 24. At least two were still flying in 1945/46.

Peter M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Photopage  entitled “Aircraft in Thailand.” It is from the March 1982 issue (vol. 23, no. 7)

Here are the only relevant photos from that Photopage - the rest is 1982-modern junk (F-84, Caribou, C-125)

51696654476_c8a4507ab3_k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

Thais built at least another 88 in the first half of the 1920s. In Thai service they were initially designated B.Th.1, this later being changed to Type 24. At least two were still flying in 1945/46.

That means that doing airplanes 1935-45 Breguet XIV should appear on my long list??? That is too much shock for a morning... 

Regards

J-W

• Haha 3

After instant googling I found the replica in Thai museum:

800px-Replica_of_Breguet_14.jpg

Looks like a WW2 scheme indeed... Gosh,  I have to google deeper to know the story...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1