Flyhawk 1/700 HMS Hood Dio after she Blew Up.

ERK

Hi all,  I got this kit  a few months back  but had other builds  to work on first,   but I decided to make a start on her  even if I don't  fully finish her yet.

Upon opening the box I was greeted with many items  to enhance the kit  -  frets of PE - Brass Barrels  and  many other metal parts, I also  purchased the Wood deck  pieces.

So  I made a start but  building the hull  - this is your basic Two part assembly  and it went together  very nicely  - just the slightest amount of light sanding along the join line.

So this is where I am at present  -

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Gidday @ERK, I see four shafts but a distinct lack of props/screws. 😁 Mind you, I generally leave them until towards the end of a build incase they get knocked off. I like HMS Hood and will be greatly interested in following what you do here. Regards, Jeff.

16 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @ERK, I see four shafts but a distinct lack of props/screws. 😁 Mind you, I generally leave them until towards the end of a build incase they get knocked off. I like HMS Hood and will be greatly interested in following what you do here. Regards, Jeff.

Thank you kindly,   yep that was my idea with the screws  - leaving them off till when the  hull is finished,    I just hope I do the kit justice  as it a Superb  kit and according to the HMS Hood association  - its the best  kit of her in 1/700 scale.

Erk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

Ah, one to watch.

I'm always fascinated by you chaps who build 1/700, far too small for me.

Jon

Thank you kindly.   yes its a challenging scale  to work on.

Erk.

• Like 1

Evening all,   more progress  -  Firstly I drilled a few portholes  with the tinyiest  of drill bits,   then I started on the main deck area,   this has the most intricate plastic framework that needs gluing to the underside roof, firstly I had to cut the ends to to the right size/length.

Still more framework to fit  - also one of the pics shows the lovely intricate detail moulded onto the main deck  - superb detail for 1/700 scale.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Evening all,   so more progress  -  I fteed the rest of the inner upper roof framing, then Two side pieces were added  - very fiddly with very little areas to fix them to  - I then glued the assembly down to the deck.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Evening all,   bit more progress  on my hood,   I painted inside the lower deck under the boat deck using a fine brush, then the PE instructions call for Four ladders going down from the boat deck,  "My word the PE is tiny"   but fankfully beinf thinner - more easy to cut away from the fret,  so  after using my normal bending trick  - tweezers to hold flat and knife to bend,  then a bit of CA  using some wire placed on the edge of the  ladder cut out, and placed.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

For anyone who gets this kit  - watch out  for the Two  pieces that are shown in the pics above  - they are the the side bulkheads  but in the model are about 2mm wide  and no real way of getting a  secure bond at the one end  hence why it looks like it has dropped  - when its  on the hull  its not too bad as I can push it all down to lign up.

Erk.

• Like 1

Hi all,    bit more ongoing progress on my tiny hood  -  I am currenly working on the Weatherdeck  fitting all the tiny fittings like the mushroom vents  and the Two motors.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Evening all,   right some progress    to my weatherdeck  - 

Primer done  (Check)

AP507A  done  (Check)

Corticene made up and applied with a brush  (Check)

And lastly the rear part of the weatherdeck has had it tiny flimsy  wood decking strip added.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Hi all, bit more of an update  - I am currently working on the Funnel stacks,   I am  making them  as sub assemblies  that will be painted  prior to fixing down  - so  they are

part complete  and just dry fitted.

Erk.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Faraway said:

Very nice.

Now remind me, this is 1/700 ?

Amazing

Jon

Thank you  kindly,   yep its the 1/700  Flyhawk kit  - deffo  recomend it.

Erk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1