Zeppelin !

Martian

a Gasbags Anonymous Chapter may spring up soon.

I fear it's already sprung Loren and it's not so anonymous......it's called the BM 'Work In Progress, Aircraft' forum...and I fear it's spreading its slithery tentacles to the outer markers of the site.

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, general melchett said:

I fear it's already sprung Loren and it's not so anonymous......it's called the BM 'Work In Progress, Aircraft' forum...and I fear it's spreading its slithery tentacles to the outer markers of the site.

Oh, the Horror! It seems that I suddenly have an urgent appointment in Sierra Leone (wherever that is) Toodle pip!

• Haha 5

A quick update regarding the Zeppelin gasbag I'm banging out for his nibs. This will be LZ47/LZ77, a camouflaged P Class used during the Verdun Offensive. 

When removing the envelope halves from the runner, a little caution is required due to the styrene being quite soft and it would be all too easy to leave a nasty scar. I cut the material with Tamiya Sharp nippers, leaving a tiny stub that is then gently sanded back. As I'll detail and paint the piece before permanently gluing it in, the gunners platform is currently only a push fit.

AGD-3388.jpg

The under fuselage panel strip that carries the fore and aft gondolas needs to be cut to length. Luckily cut marks are present making the job a lot easier...even then it needed to be gently pared back to fit snugly.

AGD-3387.jpg

The four gondolas built up. All are of different design with the fore ones (lower) having a slightly different underside shape.

AGD-3393-001.jpg

The strip in position (unglued). The gondolas and their PE mounting assemblies are meant to be glued to the connected strip first, after which the entire assembly is meant to be fitted to the underside without suffering any significant damage and blending and filling the panel flawlessly. Not a chance in Hades!

AGD-3394.jpg

I'm taking a slightly different approach than Martian with the vertical lines, rather than scribe them in I'm going to use various widths of Aizu tape and the dreaded 'colour modulation' to hopefully give a reasonably realistic effect (it's also, I feel, a bit neater). The beauty here being that if you c"*k it up it can be easily overpainted whereas if you slip with the scriber......well, 'frustrating' even with Darling having the local A&E department on Red Alert and the 'ambucopter' on standby.

AGD-3402.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 12

21 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Egad! He's training it to jump through hoops on top of everything else.

Oh my giddy gondolas!

Oh! I see! they're rolls of tape! I was under the impression that they were the seals for the General's assorted collection of incompetence bags that Darling has to fit several times a day. I have to say that the widest one does bear a remarkable resemblance the seal for the regimental bag, according to Darling .that is. Silly Martian :doh:

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Egad! He's training it to jump through hoops on top of everything else.

Oh my giddy gondolas!

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

AGD-3393-001.jpg

So, which is the P Class front gondola? I built up both and have got myself utterly confused (no change there then!)

I shall follow how you get on with the tape method as I still have quite a few gasbags to build for the display. As you say, the scribing method looks great where the scriber doesn't slip but when it does, there is much filling, sanding and re-scribing to be done, accompanied but a whole lexicon of Martian swear words that would makea Vogon blush.

Intrigued of Mars👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So, which is the P Class front gondola? I built up both and have got myself utterly confused (no change there then!)

Right, bear with me here, (I've just got back from a particularly rowdy classic car meet at Woodcocks, here in Lincoln and the mind-altering effects of air, thick with E5 fumes has yet to wear off. As far as I can make out from the bizarrely unclear instruction sheet it would appear that numbers 2 and 3 belong to the P Class, number 2, the front and 3, the rear, number 1 belongs to the central gondola of an R class, number 4 to the front of an R class (and number 2 also to the rear of the R class). There, simples, just think of it this way...

''First shalt thou take out the Holy Tamiya Extra Thin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then glue thou thy Holy Gasbag gondola of Antioch onto the envelope of thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'   OK.

A diagram for the hard of hearing... 

AGD-3393-003.jpg

I shall follow how you get on with the tape method as I still have quite a few gasbags to build for the display

I did something similar with the Lunatic Ekranoplan thingy and that turned out reasonably well....

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 4:39 PM, Martian said:

Martian said: "I shall follow how you get on with the tape method..."  The method has worked very nicely for me.  I would be happy to send a photo  of the results but I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on this forum yet.   Note on numbering:  After mid-1915 the service numbers of Army airships were determined by adding 30 to the builders number.  Therefore, the Army LZ77  (shot down over Revigny, France on 21 February, 1916) had the builder's number of LZ47.   It did not have a camouflage pattern.  The only Army Zeppelin with a camouflage pattern was Army LZ107, builders number LZ77.  I can see how this might lead to some confusion.  Hopefully this is of some help Mr. TheBaron.  Looking forward to seeing your results! 

• Like 1

You're right, mein zeppelfahrt, the numbering system does get a tad confusing. Thanks for clarifying this as it narrows down my options for a camouflaged P class. Unfortunately being a Q class, LZ 107/LZ 77 is out of the running, so, I'll have to go with a navy machine, probably LZ41 (L 11) of which I have a photo, handy for the pattern, (well at least on one side!)

Hopefully this is of some help Mr. TheBaron.

Think you might have got a hold of the wrong 'usual suspect' here, old chap...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Think you might have got a hold of the wrong 'usual suspect' here, old chap...

Mr. TheBaron, General Melchett, Emperor of Mars... it is kinda hard to tell one "Usual Suspect from another with out a program.   "Programs.... git jur programs... Can't tell one Usual Suspect from another without your Program...2 cents...

Yes I finally got my 2 cents worth in.

• Haha 6

On 13/08/2023 at 14:48, zeppelfahrt said:

That makes life easier for me. I have a small piece of fabric from LZ85 which was shot down over Salonika by HMS Agamemnon. At some point it has been painted a mid grey over the original clear doped linin. I have been trying to work out what the camouflage pattern would have been for months now. clearly the ship was just painted overall grey while she was at Jamboli (Bulgaria). This makes sense as she was engaged on night operations. LZ.85 came down in the marshes near Salonika and was set light to by her crew, however, like L.33 at Little Wigborough destruction of the airship was only partial due to the amount of hydrogen lost when she was hit. The crew were very lucky that the hit from Agamemnon did not cause an explosion, which would have almost certainly meant the end for the entire crew, and merely broke the Zeppelin's back.

Martian 👽

• Like 7

4 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

git jur programs

Geet yer tootsie fruitsie

4 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

I finally got my 2 cents worth in.

And I finally got that one in. Game, set, match and fruitcake!

• Haha 5

Just a brief aside to explain why there hasn't been any progress on the Zepps lately. As some of you may be aware, Mr. and Mrs. Martian arrived in the area recently for a stay at MT for some R&R and bouts of general silliness (no relation). While here we were joined by young Pete in Lincs who by coincidence lives only a spit away and, fortunately, was out on licence for the day. It goes without saying that a good time was had by all, although the bar bill has yet to be resolved (and we won't go into the damages to property, life and limb here). Unfortunately Sarah Jane was unable to make the journey this time due to Martian's excessive baggage allowance. We even managed a day with my old mucka John Adams at nearby Newark Air Museum where John's a curator and a fine host he made, as ever.

An impromptu photo meet.  

Martian had just succeeded in selling me back my neighbours jalopy, a partly restored 1947 Singer Super 10, lovingly stored, for a reasonable fee, on the drive of Melchett Towers. Quite a few old gems find there way onto the premises from time to time as restoring them is his bag and damn good he is at it (along with supplying us with the evening entertainment in his Aladdin's Cave of a workshop).

AGD-3422.jpg

Martian blamed the car's ancient exhaust system and its catastrophic converter but we knew full well who the culprit was :sick:.

AGD-3423-001.jpg

Two old classics...... and Pete :tomato:

AGD-3424-001.jpg

Now, back to the Teutonic gasbagen.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

OMG talk about a gathering of a most boisterous and diabolical group of shady types seen in these parts in a long time.. No doubt the local constabulary was put on notice and  warnings let out to the local populous to keep their Daughters inside out of sight and their farm animals  under lock and key:hobbyhorse: Looks like a Grand time was had by all

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

OMG talk about a gathering of a most boisterous and diabolical group of shady types seen in these parts in a long time.. No doubt the local constabulary was put on notice and  warnings let out to the local populous to keep their Daughters inside out of sight and their farm animals  under lock and key:hobbyhorse: Looks like a Grand time was had by all

It was a grand time, thoroughly enjoyable. Except for the Martian Moon pie; a couple of my fillings melted. We'll not mention Baldricks Coffee.

I was told by the General that the pictures would never be published on line. I may have to leave the country if MI5 ever notice them.

Martian may have to leave the Planet if Space Corp ever see them!

As for the General, He, of course, has Diplomatic immunity. Not to mention the safe house in the Swiss Alps. (Forget you read that bit).

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It was a grand time, thoroughly enjoyable. Except for the Martian Moon pie; a couple of my fillings melted. We'll not mention Baldricks Coffee.

I was told by the General that the pictures would never be published on line. I may have to leave the country if MI5 ever notice them.

Martian may have to leave the Planet if Space Corp ever see them!

As for the General, He, of course, has Diplomatic immunity. Not to mention the safe house in the Swiss Alps. (Forget you read that bit).

Don't worry Pete, we all know the General photoshopped those pictures, I have a friendly boffin working to un-photoshop them as we speak. I shall then post the original. :evil_laugh:

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Martian said:

Don't worry Pete, we all know the General photoshopped those pictures, I have a friendly boffin working to un-photoshop them as we speak. I shall then post the original.

You do know that the original was a still frame from Rag, Tag and Bobtail? If we get the BBC involved it could get messy.

• Haha 1

No doubt the local constabulary was put on notice and  warnings let out to the local populous to keep their Daughters inside out of sight and their farm animals  under lock and key

They didn't have much to worry about concerning keeping the daughters under lock and key, (they'd probably beg to stay locked in!), no, no, it's the farm animals they'd be more concerned with....animal husbandry is a big thing around here..:sheep::analintruder:

Personally I'm suspicious of anyone that carries an inordinate amount of keys on their belt.

I refer the learned gentleman to the statement above...

• Haha 5