Sorry to interrupt with yet more modelling relating stuff but more progress has been made with the two Takom kits. Both the P and Q Class models have received their base coats of linen (MRP Linen Variant 1).This was misted on in thin coats until the effect of the bracing wires under the fabric that I was aiming for was achieved. Next up was one of the jobs I had been dreading: masking off the areas of the Zepps that I want to remain in the base colour. I have nearly got the initial masking on the P Class done. I will probably start the masking on the Q Class tomorrow as I grossly underestimated the amount of paint required to paint these beasts and had to have extra supplies couriered to Martin Towers. These arrived yesterday and the final coat is drying on the Q Class.

Most of you would never make this mistake but it is probably best to outline what went wrong so that no-one  falls into the same trap as I did. I went to Telford last year with one overriding aim. To purchase sufficient stocks of MRP paints so that I did not have to keep paying postage and packing on small quantities. I decided that two bottles each of MRP's linen paints would suffice. Wrong! I had stupidly forgotten that MRP paints come pre-thinned and ready for airbrushing. When thinned, normal paints of course give a much greater volume of paint than you get in the tin/bottle. :doh: You won't be doing as I did will you?

In other news, I have begun marking out the bracing wires on the Mark 1 Models R Class model. A tip here: I did the bracing wires on the Takom using paint pens and ended up using quite a few of these to do the job and at a pretty hefty cost. A brief experiment this morning showed that an ordinary pencil will work perfectly well on Mr Surfacer. I think I will be taking a trip to my local art suppliers to buy a decent set of colouring pencils.

Anyway, here is where we are at now. Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

110.jpg

111.jpg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

That looks pretty decent!

How big will the baby one get when fully grown?

Ian

Thanks Ian. To answer your question, fully grown "Baby" will be 644 feet, eight inches long*. Not quite sure yet how I am going to explain this to Mrs Martian. :unsure:

Martian 👽

*Oh you mean in 1/350 scale? My friend Spock tells me that she will scale out at 22.10285714285714 of your Earth inches.

• Haha 8

Aah, so that's man measurements, which if my maths is correct equates to a woman measurement of about 4 inches.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Good Telford plan on the multiple acquisition of MRP paints (I love those), but yes, they don't go that far on large surfaces. I wonder of we could convince Setchfields to keep a stock ............... hmmm, doubt it!

The three musketeers zeppelins are looking good!

Terry

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Martian said:

I will be taking a trip to my local art suppliers to buy a decent set of colouring pencils.

So, to be sure, will you be colouring between the lines or along them? :confused:

• Haha 7

53 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

So, to be sure, will you be colouring between the lines or along them? :confused:

Actually, I will be joining the dots with them, so there! :tease:

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Martian said:

Oh you mean in 1/350 scale? My friend Spock tells me that she will scale out at 22.10285714285714 of your Earth inches.

That's unlike Spock to give an approximation. Oh, well .   .   .

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Good Telford plan on the multiple acquisition of MRP paints (I love those), but yes, they don't go that far on large surfaces. I wonder of we could convince Setchfields to keep a stock ............... hmmm, doubt it!

The three musketeers zeppelins are looking good!

Terry

I sometimes think my local LMS has eyes in here all the time, every time I wander in to the back end of the shop (locals will know what I mean) there seems to be yet another range of unexpected, great, paints.

I dont think Mike's has MRP but I'm sure a gentle lobbying might generate results. (It's OK Paul I ain't asking mate)

Why not just ask them Terry?

And yes the Musketeers are looking outstanding, but at nearly two feet long they should.

• Like 3

111.jpg

WOW, just WOW..........a red stripe 1926 Morris Cowley!

Great stuff Martian, the Martianess must be chuffed to bits with her ever-growing collection of loofahs.

As for MRP, I get mine from Mike at MJR, Wigan...great service.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

WOW, just WOW..........a red stripe 1926 Morris Cowley!

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

Red Stripe envy.

Gets us all one time or another, me?

I loved building that Thunderbolt back in the day.

I have most of the kits I enjoyed as a small Martian. I have hunted them down as I had them and in the case of Airfix this was mostly Red Stripe and with the written style of instructions; which curiously, I prefer to this day.

Nostalgic of Mars 👽

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Martian said:

Anyway, here is where we are at now. Thanks for looking.

You are clearly in your element with this work Martian - the quality of what you're producing must make it immensely satisfying each time you sit back and look at the latest progress.

Hugely impressive in length, girth, and surface detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Hugely impressive in length, girth, and surface detail.

The Zepps aren't bad either!

Thanks Tony, it's a bit frustrating at the moment, having to mark out all the bracing on the R Class and doing all the masking on the Takom kits but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am however champing at the bit to build another Takom kit to incorporate all I have learned with the first two. I never anticipated that I would master all the new skills needed to build an airship so quickly, too quickly as it happens as I am a bit dissatisfied with them before I have even finished them. I know I can do better. They will get finished though as I need them to get the display off the ground.

Martian 👽

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Martian said:

it's a bit frustrating at the moment, having to mark out all the bracing on the R Class and doing all the masking on the Takom kits but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am however champing at the bit to build another Takom kit to incorporate all I have learned with the first two

You're strain is our gain: wouldn't be surprised if this thread inspired a whole bunch of us to start speculatively eyeing up lighter-than-air subjects. I've a long standing fascination with RN coastal airships that must one day be slaked.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Red Stripe envy, I entirely concur.

P1010248.jpg

Have a few of them.

5 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

What?! They're going to fly as well?! 

Fair enough! You got me there. I walked right into that one, I must be slipping. Still, not to worry, I have a memory that many elephants are jealous of!

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You're strain is our gain: wouldn't be surprised if this thread inspired a whole bunch of us to start speculatively eyeing up lighter-than-air subjects. I've a long standing fascination with RN coastal airships that must one day be slaked.

I would like to do a few of those, I have loads of material on them. Wouldn't mind doing some of the pioneer airships either, back from when even @general melchettwasn't a gleam in the milkman's eye.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

43 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Ah, the company latrine officer's rallying cry....also, by happy accident close to my old school motto, ''eo durius impellis, eo longius ibis'' or 'the harder you push, the further you go'

😁

Attending a S. London comprehensive in the 70s, our school motto was somewhat more gynaecological in character and generally rendered in Anglo-Saxon.

The tuck shop vodka used to be reasonably priced though: 10p a swig, or 15p if you wanted the neck of the bottle wiped first.

• Haha 11

Something of a milestone today as the masking came off of the P Class ship an very little touching up required. I have to get myself down to the LMS today for more masking tape. These Takom kits eat acres of the stuff. All being well I gat going on the Q Class over the weekend.

I have done the P Class as the closest I can get for L.15; after all, we have to have "Granny's Zeppelin" represented in the display. Not quite sure yet as to which Zepp the Q Class will be yet. Maybe L.20 or L.21; it all depends on which one I have better references for. Back to the books!

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

116.jpg

• Like 15

All that masking has really paid off Martian, the P class looks superb.

Masking can be the bain of our lives sometime, but can lift a model spectacularly in cases like this.

Terry

AKA Impressed from over the hills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1