Once again I am going to have to be a killjoy and interrupt the learned debate that has been going on with a progress report. Plastic worrying has taken place and the secondary supports for the outriggers have been attached to the P Class and a start made on the same for the Q  Class.

The outriggers, if one is replacing them, are probably the hardest part of the build and, if one is going down the plastic route, need to be dealt with in four phases due to the imperative to allow glued joints to set properly before proceeding to the next stage. For those that choose to go down this route, I shall take you through them stage by stage.

Stage One: Assemble the structure that leads forward from the driveshafts and allow to set overnight.

Stage Two: Construct the driveshafts and glue them to the previously constructed supports. Do not glue them to the gondola as we need to remove this later for detailing and painting. Once again, let this set overnight.

Stage Three: Add the main supports for the driveshafts and set aside to dry.

Stage Four: add the secondary supports at the end of the driveshafts and your out riggers are now complete.

For maximum strength, I use Tamiya Extra Thin cement for the joins and then very carefully run some thin CA over them. Although the outriggers are flimsy at first, the four stages do build up into a very robust structures.

I shall proceed with detailing the gondolas as soon as I have completed the out riggers on the Q Class ship. They are at the end of stage two at the moment.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

058.jpg

058.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Things are moving apace Martian, you seem to have got a second wind....do Martians have multiple digestive systems? now there's a thought, and not a pretty one. 

Super spindly stuff going on indeed...possibly the most ornate blurglechruncheon ever made...bravo.

Does that  multiple orifices for foreign matter removal?:poop::poop:😈

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Things are moving apace Martian, you seem to have got a second wind....do Martians have multiple digestive systems? now there's a thought, and not a pretty one. 

Super spindly stuff going on indeed...possibly the most ornate blurglechruncheon ever made...bravo.

1 hour ago, RAF4EVER said:

Crikey - thats a worry.  Right everyone - extra hand washing when Martian is about as the last thing we could cope with is a nasty bout of Martian Norovirus.  Stuff would be everywhere all 360 degrees at once too.  Doesnt bear thinking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Not so ornate when it is rotated! :yikes:

1 hour ago, RAF4EVER said:

No, just the bog (pun intended) standard one :toilet: that most carbon based life forms have.

23 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Crikey - thats a worry.  Right everyone - extra hand washing when Martian is about as the last thing we could cope with is a nasty bout of Martian Norovirus.  Stuff would be everywhere all 360 degrees at once too.  Doesnt bear thinking about.

The Martian version of the Norovirus refused to have anything to do with you Earthlings many moons ago so you are quite safe on that count. In fact, since the War of the Worlds was published, most Martians avoid your planet on health grounds and since Covid started, there is so much red tape involved in visiting your world anyway that it would make even a Vogon's eyes water.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

On 2/22/2022 at 4:31 AM, general melchett said:

When it comes to strut material, have you considered using the nose hairs of a Bugblatter Beast of Traal?

Too late. The Bugblatter Beasts are now on the Endangered Alien Species list of the United Worlds of the Solar System, and the Space Rangers are charged with enforcing it. Violators are punishable by a 100 Euro (or equivalent local currency) fine and a 2-year incarceration at Mar-a-Lago. You have all been warned.

• Haha 7

On 2/21/2022 at 9:22 AM, Martian said:

I have recently managed to track down the address where my Grandmother was working in London and would like to be able to find out the name of the family that was living there at the time. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a name on a census (1911 or 1921) from an address or if there is any other method I could use?

My better half does a lot of family history research on Ancestry and is happy to have a look for the address in the 1911 census if you like (the 1921 census isn't available on Ancestry yet).

Really impressed with your work - haven't seen any of these built before.

VMC

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VMC said:

My better half does a lot of family history research on Ancestry and is happy to have a look for the address in the 1911 census if you like (the 1921 census isn't available on Ancestry yet).

Really impressed with your work - haven't seen any of these built before.

VMC

Thanks VMC, that would be really helpful. PM sent.

Martian 👽

Been a bit slow to get around to it but I finally watched Scale Model Worlds report on the Telford 2021 show and and amazingly during an interview ,in the back ,was  strange blue tentacled otherworldly being flying the Martian flag directing important operations of some sort. Didn't see and PU-238 Space Modulators in hand though.  Wished I could have seen that show in person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wished I could have seen that show in person.

You'd have needed nerves of steel, an iron resolve and a strong stomach on that day Loren. Martian was directing ops in the competition area, blurglechruncheon at the ready, his Mare Acidalium flag waving majestically in the fetid breeze, ruling with an iron tentacle, chaos ensued, he even managed to co-opt me into the judging arena...mayhem. It's amazing we're ever asked back...

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

You'd have needed nerves of steel, an iron resolve and a strong stomach on that day Loren. Martian was directing ops in the competition area, blurglechruncheon at the ready, his Mare Acidalium flag waving majestically in the fetid breeze, ruling with an iron tentacle, chaos ensued, he even managed to co-opt me into the judging arena...mayhem. It's amazing we're ever asked back...

Yes it did seem like he was directing the placement of exhibits "that goes next to that one on that side... No earthling the OTHER side! get it sorted out before I replace you with a button that don't work. Probably get more done"

The reason you're always asked back is you're all more entertaining than than the Yakamishnakov 3 ring circus featuring BInky the dancing honey badger. and the Heacliff Great Gas bag belching out the hits of 1931. Less mess and cheaper too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The reason you're always asked back is you're all more entertaining than than the Yakamishnakov 3 ring circus featuring BInky the dancing honey badger. and the Heacliff Great Gas bag belching out the hits of 1931. Less mess and cheaper too.

Zounds, I think you might be onto something there...well, either that or all the 'voluntary contributions' we have to make to certain members of the 'sub-committee' to get past the guards.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Zounds, I think you might be onto something there...well, either that or all the 'voluntary contributions' we have to make to certain members of the 'sub-committee' to get past the guards.

One hopes you're not referring to CC's "Rocket Fuel".

• Haha 5

One hopes you're not referring to CC's "Rocket Fuel".

Sadly, CC (along with his Hydrazine-lager stash) was unable to get his dinghy to stay inflated and therefore unable to get here in time. He did manage to text that he was 'there in spirit' (C-stoff/T-stoff gin and almond mostly). 

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

The General may be cheaper than the Heacliff Great Gas Bag but he does do more than his fair share of belching and the hits are more 1852 than 1931. As for there being less mess, Lady Melchett begs to differ!

Martian👽

• Haha 7

The outriggers on the Q Class build are proceeding apace but I can't see much point in posting identical pictures of what I have already shown you. So, in other plastic action, I have been working on the first of the R  Class models.

There is good and bad news here. During a recent reorganisation of the house, the Martian Cave included, three of the four parts for the tail surfaces went walkabout, seemingly never to return. No matter says I, I can use the parts from my second R Class kit as templates to scratch build a new set. This has duly been done. The upshot of this extra styrene molesting is that I feel the parts that I have made for the model are better than those supplied in the kit. In one respect this is obviously good as I will end up with a nicer model. However, the parts were a right fag to make and part of me thinks that I should scratch new parts for the second R Class and the U class kits but the lazy side of me says not to go through all the extra hassle x 2.

I shall therefore, leave you with the pictures and go and award myself a well deserved "confused" reaction to this post! Wibble! :frantic:

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

PS: I still have to make the control Horns.

063.jpg

062.jpg

064.jpg

• Like 17
  • Confused 1