Nice to see you strutting yer stuff again Martian,

so the gondola can be teased out of its location for detailing and painting 

Makes sense, especially when it comes to scratch building the interior and sorting those blasted windows out  :tmi:

When it comes to strut material, have you considered using the nose hairs of a Bugblatter Beast of Traal? they offer the full range, ten times the strength of carbon fibre, easy to cut and..... if you dig deep enough they can get down to 2 microns, other than that I agree with Cheify, leccy guitar strings are the chaps (not bass of course...too blasted thick, not to mention getting them off the Martianess would be harder than explaining the proposed changes to the L.B.W rules, to a lady).

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Makes sense, especially when it comes to scratch building the interior and sorting those blasted windows out  :tmi:

By lucky hap, I have plenty of spare Zepps, Insertion into naughty members of the Imperial General Staff for the use of. Bend over Melchie, it's Zeppelin time! Do you prefer yours alight or at room temperature?

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

The Devil makes work for idle tentacles! Looks fantastic. (and fragile... 😬)

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, the completed assembly is actually very strong. So much so that I have decided to continue with plastic rod for the Q Class and reserve the soldering for the 1/720 kits where the use of at least some brass will be unavoidable.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Hard to do with a towel over your head, though.

Good point! Why didn't you think of that Melchie?

Martian 👽

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Oh Exalted Tentacled One- Have you considered using a size gauge for wires/drill bits/ bolts/screws? Basically a metal plate with holes of varying diameters used to determine the size of a given wire/bolt/screw. You simply draw a length of sprue/rod  through  a hole that is slightly smaller in diameter than the rod/sprue you have, and it shaves it to that diameter, and you can do this as many times a necessary to get the final diameter you require. See the link to what the gauge looks like. Hardware stores, home improvement stores, and places  like Small Parts or Micro Mark carry them. Hope this helps! Glad to see you back in action, BTW!

Mike

https://www.micromark.com/Gauge-for-Drill-Bits-and-Screws?gclid=CjwKCAiAsNKQBhAPEiwAB-I5zT8qp05pDmF_rH4dKZ1IXtDRzx9ymrH7rLFK9sz2XeeRmnAC1XXRihoCk08QAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

Or even just strip the copper core out of household electrical wire. (Unplug it first) 🔌

The stuff comes in various diameters, bends easily and superglue can hold it in place.

I used some thick stuff (probably the size that would be used to power a cooker) on my latest build at the weekend.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Or even just strip the copper core out of household electrical wire. (Unplug it first) 🔌

:angry:  Should have read the full sentence there  first before trying but got a tad excited and got ahead of myself

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, general melchett said:

just after I wake up but before my morning scream...

We can hear that in Bracebridge Heath. I thought it was the Waddington vet 'adjusting' young Bulls on the farm.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Oh Exalted Tentacled One- Have you considered using a size gauge for wires/drill bits/ bolts/screws? Basically a metal plate with holes of varying diameters used to determine the size of a given wire/bolt/screw. You simply draw a length of sprue/rod  through  a hole that is slightly smaller in diameter than the rod/sprue you have, and it shaves it to that diameter, and you can do this as many times a necessary to get the final diameter you require. See the link to what the gauge looks like. Hardware stores, home improvement stores, and places  like Small Parts or Micro Mark carry them. Hope this helps! Glad to see you back in action, BTW!

Mike

https://www.micromark.com/Gauge-for-Drill-Bits-and-Screws?gclid=CjwKCAiAsNKQBhAPEiwAB-I5zT8qp05pDmF_rH4dKZ1IXtDRzx9ymrH7rLFK9sz2XeeRmnAC1XXRihoCk08QAvD_BwE

Thanks Mike, looking into it.

24 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

What are we discussing here? Where are we? Why modelling? Jeff who? What is this Internet? And where are my socks?

Your socks are by now most likely on Blackadder's "Pre-Loved Socks Emporium" on Evil Bay.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

What about socks that you don't like?

Don't know, I don't normally wear socks and whenever possible, slither around bare tentacled.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Don't know, I don't normally wear socks and whenever possible, slither around bare tentacled.

Martian 👽

When you do wear socks how many pairs to get fully attired and do you have trouble finding matching pairs like I do when Mrs T washes them?  I swear that five pairs go into the washing machine and seven odd socks come out. Could it be that there is a worm hole or breach of the space time continuum inside the Bosch - not to be confused with Boche as in Zeppelin crew?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

When you do wear socks how many pairs to get fully attired and do you have trouble finding matching pairs like I do when Mrs T washes them?  I swear that five pairs go into the washing machine and seven odd socks come out. Could it be that there is a worm hole or breach of the space time continuum inside the Bosch - not to be confused with Boche as in Zeppelin crew?

I'm not sure, we have a Hotpoint and Mrs Martian says the same thing happens here and not just with socks but with her bras as well. Not sure how that works but there you have it! Perhaps we should be looking into Mrs Blackadder's shady commercial dealings.

Suspicious of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Martian said:

I'm not sure, we have a Hotpoint and Mrs Martian says the same thing happens here and not just with socks but with her bras as well. Not sure how that works but there you have it! Perhaps we should be looking into Mrs Blackadder's shady commercial dealings.

Suspicious of Mars 👽

I would have offered to check out our washing machine with a test run of one sock and one bra but the main fuse box needs a visit from the electrician and the house a rewire after I tried to follow @Pete in Lincs advice about copper wire being used for rigging etc. Mrs T managed to beat the flames out on my clothes and hair. A bit too enthusiastically if you ask me but very effective and nothing that won’t heal quickly once they take the plaster off

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Mrs Martian isn’t related to Eccentrica Gallumbits is she?

Not that I have noticed and I feel sure that I would have by now. I'll ask.

Unobservant of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Mrs T managed to beat the flames out on my clothes and hair. A bit too enthusiastically if you ask me but very effective and nothing that won’t heal quickly

once they take the plaster off

My apologies. I should have included the plug removal in the first line. 

The beating however, is probably better than having a fire extinguisher fired off down ones trousers. 🧯

• Haha 4

I thought it was the Waddington vet 'adjusting' young Bulls on the farm.

There's very little difference, when the wind's in the right direction and the moon id high, strange things can happen, east of the city...

Could it be that there is a worm hole or breach of the space time continuum inside the Bosch

A very good point John, I have seen many a wormhole breach my vestments over the years, blasted Teutonic twin-tubs. Lady M steadfastly refuses to have anything Bosch in the house ...the fact that I drive a BMW is merely incidental and besides, I park it on the drive...

• Haha 4