13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You're as daft as I am. I blame Alien influences. Mentioning no names, obviously.

I didn't doit, I wasn't there! (As usual!) Free the Martian one!

Innocent of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Brandy said:

Come morning, the bung was removed (remotely of course, there was a long line attached for this purpose), the elephant promptly emptied itself of "ballast" and the flight resumed.

At first, they trained a monkey to remove the bung and assigned a private soldier to be the monkey handler. It did not always go to plan. One morning the monkey removed the bung and there was an explosive discharge of elephant manure, splattering everything within a fifty foot radius with a thick layer of elephant poo. A search party was sent in to rescue the private monkey handler. They found him bowled over by the force of the blast, covered in poo and laughing hysterically. When asked why he was laughing, he replied:

”You should have seen the look on the monkey’s face…”

Coat and the bill please…

Adrian

• Haha 11

On 04/10/2022 at 02:25, billn53 said:

I also found this, so perhaps the elephant idea isn’t totally loony:

The house in the youtube clip weighed 2000lbs (1000kg) and a fully-grown African elephant weighs 6000kg, so you would need a lot more balloons!

I'll stop now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

The house in the youtube clip weighed 2000lbs (1000kg) and a fully-grown African elephant weighs 6000kg, so you would need a lot more balloons!

I'll stop now...

True, but with the principle demonstrated as feasible, it’s just a matter of scale now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Just found this on  Youtube,this could be crazy/silly enough for you.😈

17 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Just found this on  Youtube,this could be crazy/silly enough for you.😈

It looks a bit like @general melchett's last gin palace that he got Baldrick to design for him. All went well until Balders fired up the boilers. Sparks from the smokestack set light to the gas bags and the whole contraption came down in the grounds of Melchett Towers: more specifically, just where Lady Melchett was hanging out her new ball gown to dry after Captain Slackbladder threw up all over it at the last regimental ball. What of the dress that wasn't burned to a cinder, was left covered in great black smuts. Lady M was still ranting about this incident when we visited Melchett Towers during out recent progress through East Anglia. Worryingly, for our beloved General, she has yet to announce what forfeit he will have to pay for this particular misdemeanour. 

Martian 👽

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

It looks a bit like general melchett's last gin palace that he got Baldrick to design for him. All went well until Balders fired up the boilers. Sparks from the smokestack set light to the gas bags and the whole contraption came down in the grounds of Melchett Towers: more specifically, just where Lady Melchett was hanging out her new ball gown to dry 

Ah yes....the SS Suicidal Insanity. Bladders was somewhat over enthusiastic with the Swan Vestas and paraffin. Still, other than the desecration of Lady M's ball gown and an ugly black scar on the Victory Garden lawn, the ensuing inferno was enjoyed by many of the ground staff who came in swarms to warm their hands and feet and toast marshmallows (which in turn kept the heating cost down in their tied hovels)...so all was not lost.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Ah yes....the SS Suicidal Insanity. Bladders was somewhat over enthusiastic with the Swan Vestas and paraffin. Still, other than the desecration of Lady M's ball gown and an ugly black scar on the Victory Garden lawn, the ensuing inferno was enjoyed by many of the ground staff who came in swarms to warm their hands and feet and toast marshmallows (which in turn kept the heating cost down in their tied hovels)...so all was not lost.

Sounds like a good time was had by All.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Does this explain why Lincoln has been so warm this late in the year? And to think that some people blame the cows. Tsk!

There was some debate as to whether the "agricultural" smell that met us as we approached Lincoln on out progress as cows or Baldrick's trousers. Fortunately it was the former as on arriving at Melchett Towers we were informed that he had been packed off to stay with his Scottish cousin Pooh Pong McBaldrick at his retreat on Rockall for the duration of our visit.

An update has been recieved from Lady Melchett regarding the General's impending forfeit. I am not yet at liberty to disclose the exact nature of said punishment but can reveal that she has been in contact with the Fair Elaine, Costumier to the Cosmos, regarding the General's outfit for this years shindig at Telford. Be afraid Melchie, be very afraid, I have already seen the first incarnation, very fetching! :evil_laugh: There is nothing quite so frightening as a woman who has had her party frock trashed.

In other news, the models of the L.19 and the L.33 got their coats of paint this week and I am hopeful that at least one of them may make a cameo appearance at Telford. Pictures soon I hope.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just in time for Telford, the L.33 crossed the finishing line. I just got her done by the scales of my tentacles and had to postpone trying to finish the L.19 until after the show; time was that tight. 

192.jpg

More pictures in RFI.

While preparing for the show, I managed to dig out this model of the L.10 that I built back in 2016, it will be joining the other Zepps in the display.

195.jpg

196.jpg

196.jpg

197.jpg

The L.19 has been painted and just needs the gondolas fitting and rigging. I can then crack on with building the next Takom kit where we can hopefully show a less complicated wat of building the kit.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Awesome models Martian!

Whilst at Telford, I came across quite a sight. I don't really know how to describe it, perhaps @general melchett could assist in identifying the characters.

Others who were there, may also be able to assist .............

@Courageous@Fritag@AdrianMF, @Ex-FAAWAFU, @Heather Kay, @Brandy, @CedB, @perdu, @tomprobert, @81-er, @woody37, @The Spadgent

or even those who were not.......

@Navy Bird, @Procopius, @Cookenbacher, @corsaircorp @TheBaron, @Corsairfoxfouruncle

IMG20221112171534

IMG20221112171447

IMG20221112171438

There are more in the Flickr feed, just click on any pic above and you will see them!

I need to go lie down in a darkened room now!

T.

• Like 3
  • Haha 16

Well, I recognize the one fellow (minus the appendages) but who the heck is this silly sod with the flattop?

WP_20180524_11_55_24_Pro

Thank Gawd he now has a buzz cut and no longer needs the specs.      :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

The horror, is that not the purple shredded battle sporran of the General Staff?

Would indicate that the wearer must be Melchie minus.

Minus Darling and Baldrick, I fear, but mayhap the Alien creature could have had them for lunch.

As an aside to the aside, here is why you SHOULD make the pilgrimage to Telford next year, who knows what else is in store.

Oh yes, it is incumbent upon me to namecheck our own @Terry1954 for braving the battlefield to take these classic shots.

Bravo sir, bravo.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

What to say...this is what happens when they let us venture out of the secure ward for a couple of hours although I doubt many of you realized Martian was actually the charge nurse here. Of course the photo opportunity had to happen at a busy nexus in full view of the amassed throng, leading to not a few ribald comments and some particularly confused/worried looks from friends and company reps I'd been talking to earlier. Luckily the purple sporran rendered me almost unrecognisable....apparently....close call. 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, general melchett said:

What to say...this is what happens when they let us venture out of the secure ward for a couple of hours although I doubt many of you realized Martian was actually the charge nurse here. Of course the photo opportunity had to happen at a busy nexus in full view of the amassed throng, leading to not a few ribald comments and some particularly confused/worried looks from friends and company reps I'd been talking to earlier. Luckily the purple sporran rendered me almost unrecognisable....apparently....close call. 

As Bugs Bunny would say.... Time for Co-mando-tac-ticss.. Be thankful General that our dear Martian is not the Nurse Ratchett type.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I promised a while back that I would build another Takom Zeppelin with an eye to adding more detail but more importantly for those who want to build this kit but not go overboard with it, how to make it an easier build. Hopefully, then we can provide something to keep everybody happy.

One of the first things I learnt was that the tail feathers and control surfaces are a nightmare if you want avoid breaking them. The most vulnerable part being the skeg that protrudes from the tailplanes. If I broke them once,I broke them a thousand times!

I have decided to fit the planes and control surfaces much later in the build for a start and the first thing to do here is to remove the lugs holding the upper and lower fins between the hull halves. Next we have to widen the the openings for the same until the fins are a slightly less tight fit. Albion Alloys' slide fit tubing is then inserted into the locating holes for the control surfaces:

199.jpg

Attention then turns to the rudders and elevators themselves. We then remove the hopelessly flabby mounts from the control surfaces and drill 0.5mm holes deep into the control surfaces where the plastic mounts were and insert some brass rod into them:

200.jpg

We then, very carefully, drill a 0.5mm hole through the skeg. This is the hardest part of the modification to the kit. The control surfaces can the be slid into place on the skag:

202.jpg

The assembly can then be test fitted into place on the hull. Even dry fitted, the assembly is far stronger than the original as provided by Takom. Now place the modified parts in a suitable sealed container and place said container somewhere where you can't lose it!

201.jpg

The next step is to get the four parts of the hull together:

https://i.postimg.cc/7YNY5MmT/198.jpg

The join of the fore and aft parts seems to be variable on these kits. The first one I build the fit was poor whereas this time the fit of parts was much better. Strange for a state of the art mainstream kit but there you are, it is what it is. The next thing that will help the build involves doing nothing (That got @Fritag's attention!). What I actually mean is that the upper gunners' platform is a drop in fit and it makes sense and avoids a tricky masking job later on if one leaves it off of the model and paints it up separately, fitting it towards the end of the build. I am going to see if I can scratch build a much more detailed platform and fit that. If the plan does turn to rat pooh, I can always revert to the kit supplied parts. I have options. This build will be finished as the L.25 which has black undersurfaces and some mottled panels on the hull sides.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just a quick tip Guys. I was doing the rest of the control surfaces today and kept getting the upper rudder and the elevator parts mixed up. They are subtly different so what I ended up doing was to label each one with Tamiya tape and then stick the parts to the bottom of an old sweet tin that I am using as a project box for this build. All I have to do now is not lose the tin!

Forgetful of Mars 👽

• Like 3