5 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

O Great Tenticled One! You never cease to amaze me with the plethora of cigar shaped Zeppelins from the Martian Ironworks Whatnot Shoppe. I can barely see the gondolas in full magnification. How you are able to see them to build  boggles the mind. But don't mind me. I'll be just over here getting totally gobsmacked.

Prescription glasses made to x10 magnification. I also have some x15 glasses but I can only tolerate them for about an hour. Not in anyway wanting to provoke mindless speculation but my next aviation thread will in all probability be going from the sublime to the ridiculous; or is it from the ridiculous to the bonkers.

Mysterious of Mars 👽

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Martian said:

Prescription glasses made to x10 magnification. I also have some x15 glasses but I can only tolerate them for about an hour. Not in anyway wanting to provoke mindless speculation but my next aviation thread will in all probability be going from the sublime to the ridiculous; or is it from the ridiculous to the bonkers.

Mysterious of Mars 👽

I can't wait for that one then. I'll stake my spot in line here and now for that thread. It'll be like waiting for Christmas morning and wanting to see what Ol' Father Christmas has delivered. Legal beverage and popcorn at the ready!:drink::popcorn:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

Still at it? I thought (hoped) the zeppelin scourge might be over at last . . . Oh well, it can’t last forever (can it?)

Try me! I shall soon be starting on a much improved Takom build, incorporating much more detail as well as a few lessons I have learned with the first two to make the building of the kit a lot easier.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

Well! @LorenSharp sold me the spot in line after him for what he said was a very fair price in $, so I'll lay in sandwiches and a bottle of cold tea for that.

In the meantime this, one is still/once again going strongly and the microscopic gondolas look great, as do the spiderwebs to support them.

I love that you've found some fabric from the L15. Quite amazing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, billn53 said:

Still at it? I thought (hoped) the zeppelin scourge might be over at last . . . Oh well, it can’t last forever (can it?)

I dunno Bill, there are still the British dirigibles, After that the Macron, Akron, and Shenandoah, so ALL Kinds of suitable subjects. I for one would be intrigued at the outcome should Herr Martian attempt  the Shenandoah..... Planes and all.  Oh and don't forget the Blimps.:innocent:

• Like 3

And then there is the Barrage balloon tethered above Melchett towers here in Lincoln. 

@general melchett refused to answer when questioned about it by the press (Admittedly, a reporter from the Pigeon fanciers monthly).

Speculation ( By Miss Bannister, the next door neighbour) has it that he is worried by the move of the Red Arrows to nearby RAF Waddington.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, billn53 said:

I will admit, when I saw this my first thought was of our tentacled highness:

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2022/07/pig-models-parsival-sigsfeld-german.html

Oh dear Lord those drawings in the instructions! 🍆

AW

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, billn53 said:

I will admit, when I saw this my first thought was of our tentacled highness:

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2022/07/pig-models-parsival-sigsfeld-german.html

Away foul temptress! Haven't I got myself in enough trouble already?

11 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

I dunno Bill, there are still the British dirigibles, After that the Macron, Akron, and Shenandoah, so ALL Kinds of suitable subjects. I for one would be intrigued at the outcome should Herr Martian attempt  the Shenandoah..... Planes and all.  Oh and don't forget the Blimps.:innocent:

I have the Mark1 Models LZ127 Graf Zeppelin, the R-33/R34 form the same company, the Revel Hindenburg and the Frog R-100, as well as the Akron/Macon kit from AMT in the stash. but will probably do some other subjects before I dig into those kits.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Martian said:

I have the Mark1 Models LZ127 Graf Zeppelin, the R-33/R34 form the same company, the Revel Hindenburg and the Frog R-100, as well as the Akron/Macon kit from AMT in the stash. but will probably do some other subjects before I dig into those kits.

Martian 👽

I have said it before, our Martian 'visitors' show massive wisdom...

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 10:08 PM, Martian said:

Mysterious of Mars 👽

So something in 1/24 next then ?

Gondor

• Haha 4

On 01/10/2022 at 15:58, Gondor44 said:

So something in 1/24 next then ?

Gondor

No, sillier than that!

Martian 👽

I'm not one to speculate, as you well know. But, at a swapmeet some years ago, I happened upon a garage kit (of undetermined scale) that may fit the bill.

It seems that during the last days of the Raj, the British Army in India trialed a heavy lift hot air balloon. The purpose of which was to transport Elephants swiftly 

to remote outposts in the event of dire needs. It was discovered that though the idea had merit, it was unfeasible during the monsoon season due to damp.

In that the matches were hard to strike. An old flintlock rifle was adapted for use instead, but mysterious holes kept appearing in the balloon envelope.

There was also the question (of course) as to whether the Mahout was allowed to travel in the basket if an Officer was present. @general melchett may know more.

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It seems that during the last days of the Raj, the British Army in India trialed a heavy lift hot air balloon. The purpose of which was to transport Elephants swiftly 

And I thought sticking a BE2c fuselage under a hot air balloon was nuts, there you go. 

I’m really curious as to how the elephant was attached, some kind of oversized harness ??

5 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

1/1?😈😈

Not quite that silly!

15 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

There was also the question (of course) as to whether the Mahout was allowed to travel in the basket if an Officer was present. @general melchett may know more.

He is so ancient that he was probably there!

Martian 👽

• Haha 8

I’m really curious as to how the elephant was attached, some kind of oversized harness ??

The word 'Bungee' (as in Cord) has it's roots in India. More I cannot divulge, due to having signed the official secrets act many years ago.

According to Google however, In the event of nightfall during the trip the balloon would be lowered closer to the ground so the Elephant

could wrap it's trunk around a tree as an anchor.

• Haha 9

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

And I thought sticking a BE2c fuselage under a hot air balloon was nuts, there you go. 

I found an illustration:

52403473095_d9d6db293a.jpg

I also found this, so perhaps the elephant idea isn’t totally loony:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

general melchett may know more.

He certainly does. As a dashing young blade fresh out of Sandhurst I was put in charge of the 14th Royal Pachyderm Heavy-Lift Squadron in the Sudan, seconded to the British-Egyptian Expeditiary Force. My job was to field trial the feasibility of using the beasts as an aerial bombardment asset against the Mad Mahdi and his twirling Dervishes, during the Battle of Omdurman in September of 1898. We fed them up with a special diet of straw, Vindaloo, curry powder and rotten cabbages before releasing them to the skies above the enemy positions. Sadly most were spotted several miles in advance and bought down with a combination of Mauser “Broomhandle” pistols, blow darts, rocks and a great deal of cursing. However, one managed to get through the barrage, causing one hell of a stink. Here's an illustration taken from the training manual provided at the time....poor Nellie, gone but not forgotten...(especially by the forward defence line).

94bfe93a6d6c44e1dea74c2e26f4d336.jpg

• Haha 6

On 10/3/2022 at 11:04 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

The word 'Bungee' (as in Cord) has it's roots in India.

Ah, but in reverse to the way we now know it, and it was pronounced

"bung- ee".

The idea being that the elephant had a bung inserted to help build weight during the night to stop it floating away. Come morning, the bung was removed (remotely of course, there was a long line attached for this purpose), the elephant promptly emptied itself of "ballast" and the flight resumed.

What has this forum done to my mental health???

Ian

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

What has this forum done to my mental health???

Got you raised up to the most coveted status of "Usual Suspect"; something many aspire to but few actually achieve.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Got you raised up to the most coveted status of "Usual Suspect"; something many aspire to but few actually achieve.

Martian 👽

Aye, One more of Us. one less of Them.... to quote  Billy Connolly

• Haha 2