I daresay a more dubious pair of shiftiness and debauched deviltry  has ever been witnessed in these parts in a long time. The venerable English version of Butch and Sundance. Now which is Butch and which  is Sundance I'll leave to to viewer. Reminds me of a quote about the 82nd Airborne. "Great guys the 82nd. Just keep your hand on your wallet."  especially that shifty bloke in the back scouting nefarious opportunities in the surrounding area. In other words, it looks like a good time has been had by all.:drink::evil_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I daresay a more dubious pair of shiftiness and debauched deviltry  has ever been witnessed in these parts in a long time.

Oh I don't know Loren...Pete in Lincs was with me the day before....had we managed to all hook up at the same time it would have been considerably more debauched and bedeviled, think Event Horizon meets a ruddy great Black Hole's singularity....on Mars...on a Friday.

The venerable English version of Butch and Sundance. 

More like Cheech and Chong meets Larry and Mo. 

The following day, we ventured forth into Lincoln itself. Despite a completely inconsiderate driver blocking the path of the open topped tour bus, leading to its cancellation, we enjoyed a walk down the aptly named Steep Hill and quite by chance (really!) stumbled across the local model shop where we were pleased to support them by making a few purchases,

I'm still in shock that you managed our notorious Steep Hill without resorting to crampons, block and tackle, oxygen, a great deal of expletives and without the need of hospitalization and a decent blurglecruncheoning from the memsahib. Quite a feat for a multi-tentacled, sea-going denizen of Poole. Still, the refueling stop at the bottom helped, as did the short diversion into the LMS. And people think Lincolnshire is flat! and then to amble on to Brayford Quay...bravo, sah. A good time was had by all, glad you enjoyed yerselves, you do realize that the Christmas market beckons...just make sure to get the costumery department into full gear...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

• 2 weeks later...

Since my return from East Anglia, I have been working on the second of the R Class Zeppelins for my display. I have decided to push the boundaries with this model in order to see how far I can can get extra detail into these Mark1 Models 1/720 scale ships..

I began by dispensing with the kit decals for the window frames on the gondolas and have instead built them up from 0.10 x 0.10mm plastic strip. the frames were quite pronounced on the actual ships and painted up this should do the job. they don't look great in macro but they look fine to the naked eye, they look fine. I would have preferred to use smaller plastic strip but there isn't any so I have sanded back the 0.10mm stuff. I just have to keep reminding myself that the largest of these gondolas is well under an inch long.

I have also fitted grab rails from Albion Alloys 0.2mm brass rod. I might try some 010rod the next time round but I do have the feeling that 0.2mm is as good as it is going to get if I want retain any strength in the rails.

I have been unhappy with Mark1's depiction of the gunners' platform on the top of the hull, so this time round, I reduced the height of the windshield and added a representation  of the detail on the decking.

I have dropped down from 0.4mm to0.3mm for the outriggers and I think that this is paying off despite the rather tricky soldering involved.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

174.jpg

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

178.jpg

• Like 21

7 hours ago, Martian said:

I have sanded back the 0.10mm stuff.

Crikey, that's thin enough as it is, almost microscopic. I've got some 0.13mm styrene sheet but have only used it for 20mm Oerlikon gun shields. Normally (if anything here is 'normal' 😁) the thinnest I use is 0.25mm strips. Very well done, Oh Extraterrestrial One.

Regards,

Impressed, of Earth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Martian said:

so I have sanded back the 0.10mm stuff.

I think that if you can see through it, you've gone too far.

Looking good.

I hear that the Gasbagology diploma is in the post, and has no connection whatsoever to a certain sheep bladder rendering factory in North Dorset.

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Looking excellent so far Martian: you've probably mentioned it already but what will you be building the Pterodactayls out of at this scale?

I thought that I might convert a couple of those spare 1/144 scale seagulls before I send the rest to @longshanks.

Resourceful of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

what will you be building the Pterodactayls out of at this scale?

By the looks of this, a piece of screwed up aluminium foil and chewing gum should do the job....

Martian, I hope, for the sake of accuracy, you're going to reproduce the cockpit seen in the clip provided by LeBaron?

1-Valiant-B2007.jpg

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

By the looks of this, a piece of screwed up aluminium foil and chewing gum should do the job....

Martian, I hope, for the sake of accuracy, you're going to reproduce the cockpit seen in the clip provided by LeBaron?

1-Valiant-B2007.jpg

Ah, the less said about that incident the better! Zob, my pet pterodactyl that I raised from an egg, decided to go into film work to earn some extra pin money. He said it was better than going down the docks doing "favours" for MVS members. Trouble is that he was supposed to be working after a night on the lash and was still under the influence, resulting in him causing the Zeppelin, built at enormous expense to crash. As an encore he then proceeded to eat the leading lady and passed out in the director's chair. The film company went bust the following day. Zob has been sent to the Naughty Corner to reflect on his actions. A spell of porridge with @corsaircorp should sort him out! 

Deluded of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

Ah, showbiz comes to BM at last. 

I remember a short conversion I once had backstage with dear Larry. What exactly is a Buffoon anyway?

But then, back to Zob. I wonder, did he have his own perch? Perhaps he would have preferred a different type of fish?

• Haha 3

Hello dear alien !!

Don't worry for Zob (I'm sure that you know what it mean in familar french... :wicked::wicked::wicked:)

Whoooops, General Melchett will call Bletchley Park again.....

Porridge for a Pterodactyl ??? That's a shame....

Zob appreciate the Tripel Karmeliet.... And by the way, the karmeliet too....

Astounding work on your gasbag....

I'm impressed too.....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't worry for Zob (I'm sure that you know what it mean in familar french... )

Whoooops, General Melchett will call Bletchley Park again.....

No need CC, just insert a few Ced-like 'phnrr, phnrrs' , it amounts to the same....

He said it was better than going down the docks doing "favours" for MVS members.

Funnily enough Baldrick mentioned coming across a Zob, down at the docks of a stormy night in Poole....

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

No need CC, just insert a few Ced-like 'phnrr, phnrrs' , it amounts to the same....

Funnily enough Baldrick mentioned coming across a Zob, down at the docks of a stormy night in Poole....

Poor Zob; I thought he hadn't been himself recently. All is explained.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

Poor Zob; I thought he hadn't been himself recently. All is explained.

He hasn't been feeling himself for quite some time....just ask Baldrick.

As an aside, seventies RAF slang. Zobbit was a general term for an Officer amongst the troops. Often shorthened to Zob.

It was usually believed that Zobbit was Greek for Pig!

That would explain all the snuffling and oinking noises when I can be bothered to visit the men at the front....just assumed it was that inveterate jotter blotter Darling, sniggering at the ranks again.

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of posts recently. It may sound really silly but the death of HM Queen really knocked the stuffing out of me for some considerable time. My mojo went right out of the window and I found myself bursting into tears on a regular basis. I knew the day had to come but when it did. all logic went out of the window. I have felt a little better over the last few days and have been pushing on to get the P Class and R Class, the L.19 and L.33 respectively nearer to the painting stage.

I have a few bits where the glue is curing and hope to have an update either tonight or tomorrow.

Martian 👽

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I don’t think it’s silly. The Queen's death, though hardly unexpected, came as a shock to many. For many, she had been a fixture of national life - and now she's no longer there. Following the last few years of pandemic, where many lost loved ones and were perhaps unable to mourn their losses properly, the period of national mourning was a kind of catharsis.

I'm no monarchist, in fact I am a near full-on republican, but I found myself affected by events as well. So, don’t apologise for feelings that many shared.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

No need to apologize. It was a sad time with a very moving and excellently done ceremony.

I think feelings throughout the planet were off the scale for many people.

I'm glad to hear that the mojo has trickled back, and look forward to more news.

• Like 4

I was a bit “bah, humbug” about the lying in state and and didn’t intend to watch the funeral, but I still ended up in the living room in front of the TV with the family for around three hours on the day.

I’m not a monarchist but I did admire her tremendously, and actually got a handshake in 2010 at a Queens Award do at the palace.

Glad to hear your spirits are lifting.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

As promised and in spite of the "assistance" of Messers  Tinker and Nest, here are the promised pictures of recent work on the L.19 and L.33.

I have completed soldering the outriggers on both ships:

The L.19:

179.jpg

180.jpg

and on the L.33:

182.jpg

181.jpg

I have been using 0.3mm brass rod for the outriggers, I thought about trying 0.2mm but considerations of strength dictated that I go with the former.

On to the gondolas:

The L.19:

183.jpg

184.jpg

186.jpg

and the L.33;

187.jpg

188.jpg

Macro does no favours but bear in mind that the largest of the gondolas is well under an inch long and ill have over seventy parts incorporated in it when finished. I just have a few intakes and vents to add and will the be on to giving everything a good clean up before cranking up the airbrush. The struts and outriggers will be done with a hairy stick; even this alien is not quite daft enough to try masking those off. Quiet those following this from the Naughty Corner!

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

Stop press! I managed to get hold of a Frog Spawn kit of the R-100 and Montreal mooring tower at a sensible price. This will be making an appearance in these august forums. Initial research indicates that there will be an awful lot of work on both airship and mast but that will have to wait until I have got on top of getting the display ready to go on the road.

I was delighted to track down a piece of fabric from the L.15, Grannies Zeppelin recently. This has been framed and will be forming part of the display.

• Like 11

O Great Tenticled One! You never cease to amaze me with the plethora of cigar shaped Zeppelins from the Martian Ironworks Whatnot Shoppe. I can barely see the gondolas in full magnification. How you are able to see them to build  boggles the mind. But don't mind me. I'll be just over here getting totally gobsmacked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1