31 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Very nice, hope your planned diorama will be kitten/cat proof!

Don

As General Melchett is always saying, "When all else fails, a stubborn refusal to look facts in the face will see us through! Beah!". So really, I am playing the mindless optimism card here.

31 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

These really are exquisite. I may have missed it, but what is the plan for displaying these wonderful replicas?

Cheers,

Bill

They will form part of a display of Zeppelins, more to come, and will, where possible, will be displayed alongside artifacts from the ships I have modelled. The story of my Grandmother and Great Aunt will, of course, be taking centre stage.

Martian 👽

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Martian said:

Complaints to be directed to Master Tinker and Miss Nest Martian C/O Martian Towers!

But not, a certain Mrs Trellis?

Eine erstaunliche Sammlung von Luftschiffen, Herr Marsianer. Großartige !

I think that means that your hot yoghurt bubble bath is ready.

The ships look rather wonderful, and must have been things of wonder to see flying.

Imagine, Aeroplanes were fragile things in the sky, then a whole city block goes past!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Eine erstaunliche Sammlung von Luftschiffen, Herr Marsianer. Großartige !

Danke schön Herr Üblichen Verdächtiger.

34 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The ships look rather wonderful, and must have been things of wonder to see flying.

Imagine, Aeroplanes were fragile things in the sky, then a whole city block goes past!

Thanks Pete, even though I know exactly how these things worked and were put together, I still can't get my head round the idea of these things larger than most battleships and many aircraft carriers just floating in the sky.

Bemused of Mars 👽

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Martian said:

from the Fuhrer der Luftschiffe, Peter Strasser

Gidday Martian, the sistership of the DKM aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin was to be named Peter Strasser I believe. Until now I never knew who he was, so thanks. I never knew of the boarding incident either.

The photos showing the three Zepps looks a nice family photo, particularly the last. In the foreground you have Father Zepp, in the background is Mother Zepp and Baby Zepp in the middle. Now all you need is Goldy Lox crashing the party. 😁

Seriously, they do look good with their paint and decals. I always assumed that they were all grey. I guess due to black and white photos.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, the sistership of the DKM aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin was to be named Peter Strasser I believe. Until now I never knew who he was, so thanks. I never knew of the boarding incident either.

The photos showing the three Zepps looks a nice family photo, particularly the last. In the foreground you have Father Zepp, in the background is Mother Zepp and Baby Zepp in the middle. Now all you need is Goldy Lox crashing the party. 😁

Seriously, they do look good with their paint and decals. I always assumed that they were all grey. I guess due to black and white photos.

Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. The early naval ships, up to and including some of the R Class seem to have been in natural linen. Ray Rimmel mentions that some ships were painted in a light blue-grey and this is certainly borne out by the piece of fabric I have from LZ55; perhaps an army thing as most pictures show most navy P and Q classes in the linen. It seems best to make a judgement on pictures of the actual ship one is modelling but, as you say, trying to interpret the black and white photographs of this time is a minefield in itself.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Martian said:

It seems best to make a judgement on pictures of the actual ship one is modelling but, as you say, trying to interpret the black and white photographs of this time is a minefield in itself.

Prior to the advent of colour film emulsions, people just didn't bother painting stuff anything except shades of grey as 'it just wouldn't show up' in photographs.

Even long after colour photography became widely used, deeply conservative factions in the Admiralty insisted on continuing to paint British naval aircraft an extra dark tone of grey in order to pointedly complement the grey, white and black of the Union Jack.

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Prior to the advent of colour film emulsions, people just didn't bother painting stuff anything except shades of grey as 'it just wouldn't show up' in photographs.

Even long after colour photography became widely used, deeply conservative factions in the Admiralty insisted on continuing to paint British naval aircraft an extra dark tone of grey in order to pointedly complement the grey, white and black of the Union Jack.

I think the heat has finally got to Tony's head! Someone lay him down in the shade, turn a hose pipe on him and give him plenty of fluids. I will go and summon doctor and shrink.

Concerned of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Martian said:

I think the heat has finally got to Tony's head! Someone lay him down in the shade, turn a hose pipe on him and give him plenty of fluids. I will go and summon doctor and shrink.

Concerned of Mars 👽

Why oh why did I read that as Conehead of Mars?

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Why oh why did I read that as Conehead of Mars?

And why, oh why did you think it was a good plan to tell me? Naughty Corner, quick march @corsaircorp will let you in show you the ropes.

1 hour ago, RAF4EVER said:

Now look what you have done @perdu!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Martian said:

I will go and summon doctor and shrink.

If you're going to shrink then you should hydrate as well Martian.

A desiccated xenomorph is a terrible thing....

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, Martian said:

And why, oh why did you think it was a good plan to tell me? Naughty Corner, quick march @corsaircorp will let you in show you the ropes.

Now look what you have done @perdu!

Martian 👽

Come on Bill !!

Join the dark side of the force.... We have cookies Rocket fuel...:rofl2::rofl2:

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

If you're going to shrink then you should hydrate as well Martian.

A desiccated xenomorph is a terrible thing....

Totally agreed !!

Then; it is strongly forbidden to soak the poor thing in water after midnight.....

CC

• Haha 6

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Come on Bill !!

Join the dark side of the force.... We have cookies Rocket fuel...:rofl2::rofl2:

Totally agreed !!

Then; it is strongly forbidden to soak the poor thing in water after midnight.....

CC

Where did you get that clip of the two kittens after midnight from? They never told me they had a YouTube account!

Surprised of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Martian said:

Where did you get that clip of the two kittens after midnight from? They never told me they had a YouTube account!

Surprised of Mars 👽

Cats are here to rule the world.... 

I can't believe that you ignored it..... 😼😼

CC

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Cats are here to rule the world.... 

I can't believe that you ignored it..... 😼😼

CC

I've known that since I was a young Martian. I believe there is an Earth saying that "Dogs have owners but cats have staff".

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Martian said:

I believe there is an Earth saying that "Dogs have owners but cats have staff".

Gidday, LOL🤣        I haven't heard that but can well believe it.       Another saying I've heard is that while dogs might respond to you a cat will take a message and get back to you. 🙂

And if you're not already bored with comparisons:

A dog will think of people who "Give me food, give me shelter, give me love. They must be gods."

Whereas a cat will think people "Give me food, give me shelter, give me love. I must be a god."               

Sorry Martian, I'll give you back your thread. But you've only got yourself to blame, by getting those kittens. 🙂   Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, LOL🤣        I haven't heard that but can well believe it.       Another saying I've heard is that while dogs might respond to you a cat will take a message and get back to you. 🙂

And if you're not already bored with comparisons:

A dog will think of people who "Give me food, give me shelter, give me love. They must be gods."

Whereas a cat will think people "Give me food, give me shelter, give me love. I must be a god."               

Sorry Martian, I'll give you back your thread. But you've only got yourself to blame, by getting those kittens. 🙂   Regards, Jeff.

The ancient Egyptians actually revered cats as gods. I think that's when the rot set in.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Good! We've now got someone to blame. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

If there are any Ancient Egyptians in the house, bend over it's blurglecruncheon time!

Vengeful of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

The kittens have been behaving more since Mrs Martian returned from Cumbria, allowing my some more time in the Martian cave. I therefore decided to crack on with rigging the two Takom kits. I am torn between using .2mm or .1mm wire for the tail surfaces. My gut reaction is that .15mm would be best but to my knowledge at least, you can't get .15mm wire. What I have decided to do is to rig one Zepp with .2mm wire and one with .1mm and decide which I like best for future builds.

I have begun with the P Class which I have rigged with Albion Alloys .1mm nickel silver rod and quite like the effect. I decided to give some VMS Flexi CA a try and have thus far been rather taken with the stuff. I shall now proceed to rig the Q Class and see how I get on with that.

Anyway here are the pictures of the P Class and thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

144.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg

145.jpg

148.jpg

• Like 24