It would make even the General cringe.

Highly doubtful, I had my cringe gland surgically removed years ago, now nothing surprises me ...but then again, knowing the Martianess :hmmm:.

The wise woman was burnt at the stake last month for her political comments, and leeches are now available deep fried.*

This doesn't surprise me Pete, Waddington, known locally as the Village of the Damned, the Dark Ages never found their way out to the A15, over here, on the east side of the city, we've moved on to more exotic fare such as sautéed Rattailed maggot and jellied earthworm, fried in gnat's blood. Baldrick can't get enough of the stuff.  We're still looking for our wise woman!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

.  We're still looking for our wise woman!

Good luck, all the wise women are wise enough to avoid the area like the plague

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Good luck, all the wise women are wise enough to avoid the area like the plague

Good grief. You mean the place is so bad even the plague avoided it??

Or was that just because Baldrick's ancestors proved to be too much competition for it?

Ian

• Haha 5

For those in and around Bury st Edmunds this Wednesday

https://www.greatwarhuts.org/event-details/hutted-histories-the-midnight-assassin-zeppelin-visits-to-the-east-coast-david-marks

Wed, 25 May

|

Great War Huts

Hutted Histories: The Midnight Assassin - Zeppelin Visits to the East Coast - David Marks

Historian and Author David Marks tells us how East Anglia found itself at the forefront of the initial onslaught with Zeppelin raids on towns including Bury St Edmunds, Lowestoft, Woodbridge and Dereham.

About the event

Germany’s aerial bombing campaign against Britain was an unprecedented development in warfare.

From the first Zeppelin raid on Norfolk in January 1915, aerial attacks gradually increased during the year, which culminated in highly damaging raids on London in the autumn. However, London was not the only recipient of German bombs, with counties from Northumberland to Kent also experiencing indiscriminate death and destruction. East Anglia found itself at the forefront of the initial onslaught with raids on towns including Bury St Edmunds, Lowestoft, Woodbridge and Dereham.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2022 at 10:39, general melchett said:

We're still looking for our wise woman!

I hope for your sake that Lady Melchett doesn't read that bit! Shall I call an ambulance now?

Worried of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

On 19/05/2022 at 12:11, Galligraphics said:

Mrs Galligraphics has often suggested that she be allowed to tidy my workshop and also my display shelves. As this would most likely involve the hiring of a skip, I have so far declined her kind offer…

Amongst the several very disturbing directions through which the thread has meandered a rare and supremely satisfactory moment arrived, phew.

I thought Lincolnshire madness had taken control of the South Coast with unavoidable results, happily no.

Common sense (a truly rare phenomenon) enters stage left...

Must say I wondered who that fetching creature was, for a gazzillisecond.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Common sense (a truly rare phenomenon) enters stage left...

And it can exit stage right as soon as it likes! Common sense one on of my threads! The very thought! :frantic: Go and wash your mouth out with soap young Bill!

Traumatised of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

Trying desperately to erase the thought of this thread approaching anything like sensible,I shall endeavour to bring you all up to date as to where things currently stand with the two Takom builds.

Having returned from a quick trip to Oxford over the weekend to find complete carnage on the thread, I first had to tidy things up. This included evicting an entire troop of Bunny Girls from the Martian wardrobe, removing a very hungover Pete-in-Lincs from the recycling bin and freeing General Melchett's regimental goat from the U bend of the toilet I knew things had got really out of hand when I found @perdu, an MG driver, snoring away in my TR!

Some semblance of order having been restored, (as this is Martian Towers we are talking about, I use the term order in its loosest possible sense.) I took up my paint pens and slowly completed drawing in the bracing wires and structure on the tail surfaces of both models, so now we have a pair of fishnets! I shall give the Zepps 24 hours for the paint to cure. I shall then go over both models with a white paint pen to tidy up any areas that I am not happy with and hopefully by Wednesday, we should see the first coats of linen being applied to the models. Once the base colour is on the models, progress should become a bit easier as I will then be on to masking and spraying relatively small areas of the builds.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

PS: Will whoever left a dayglo, pink codpiece in Mrs Martian's underwear draw please come and remove it; she is not a happy bunny!

108.jpg

109.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

PS: Will whoever left a dayglo, pink codpiece in Mrs Martian's underwear draw please come and remove it; she is not a happy bunny!

Darling was questioning the whereabouts of this 'article of clothing', only this morning. Unbeknown to me he took a trip, with fellow regimental pigeon fanciers, down to Poole to visit his uncle Bertie in Parkstone which ended, somewhat predictably, in a night of rank debauchery, involving buckets of homemade Cabbage and toadstool wine and the ingestion of vast quantities of white 'pick-me-up' powder and blue 'happy camper' pills. This was followed by bouts of fevered table stacking, napkin folding, safety pin arranging and some pretty violent chair arranging. At one point they managed to stagger out on a pub crawl and somewhere along the line, following several alleged break-ins, he managed to lose said dayglo garment. He would very much appreciate you returning it, poste haste (1st class) with apologies to the Martianess for any distress/over excitement it may have caused. However tempting it may be, kindly don't shoot the messenger...  

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Martian said:

I took up my paint pens and slowly completed drawing in the bracing wires and structure on the tail surfaces of both models

Ah, this thread has some modelling in it (calm down, calm down, I didn't mean the other sort).

I had assumed, up to your mention of linen, that the Zeppelins would be silver doped (which makes no sense at all for a night bomber if I think about it for a nanosecond). Got it! Hence the see-thru. I notice that you haven't put any dark lines on for the longerons. I wondered if they would show or whether there was an extra layer of linen over them to negate any darkening.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Ah, this thread has some modelling in it (calm down, calm down, I didn't mean the other sort).

I had assumed, up to your mention of linen, that the Zeppelins would be silver doped (which makes no sense at all for a night bomber if I think about it for a nanosecond). Got it! Hence the see-thru. I notice that you haven't put any dark lines on for the longerons. I wondered if they would show or whether there was an extra layer of linen over them to negate any darkening.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian, for whatever reason the longerons don't show up in most photographs but the frames either show as dark lines or light ones if the gap between the sheets of fabric covering has been doped over. What we are really seeing when we see the dark lines is not really the frames but where the sheets of linen were laced to the frames.

Most of the P and Q Class ships were in plain linen, although the colour of said linen varied widely with age and weathering. I am going for at least three tones of linen on my models.

My 1/720 builds will be more varied as to colours as later classes of ships did have camouflage. L.31 was destroyed very soon after entering service and was in plain linen. Fellow R Class L.33 is a bit of a conundrum. Most pictures show her in linen but I have found a picture of her wreck which clearly shows one of her gondolas painted in a dark colour. There is also a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that I have seen a picture of her in black/dark grey with a large light grey and/or linen area on her upper surfaces. Trouble is that since I embarked on this project,my Zeppelin library has grown to about forty books, which adds up to an awful lot of pictures to trawl through, never mind all the pictures I have found on line! It would be great to hear from anyone who can help with sorting this one out.

L.48 Was a U Class ship and we are on much firmer ground here. We have pictures of her in the Black/dark grey scheme and there is an excellent painting by Ray Rimmel on the cover of his book "Last Flight of the L.48".

Depending on how fed up I get with churning out Zeppelins, I may well do L.25 which was transferred to the German Navy from the German Army when they decided to get out of Zeppelin operations and was subsequently upgraded to Q Class standard. This ship had black undersides, a large mottled panel on her sides with the rest of her hull being in linen.  Mark 1 Models give this ship as an option in one of their P Class kits but she could equally be modelled from their Q Class boxing or, and this really appeals to me, modelled from the Takom Q Class kit by dint of converting the kit's gondolas back to P Class standard. The choice will probably boil down to whether I can lay my tentacles on some white rub down transfers in the correct size and font.

What I am looking forward to is building another Takom kit incorporating all that I have learned thus far about building Zeppelins and passing on some tips as to how to make building the kits easier. Since starting the Takom kits I have thought of a few things I could have done more simply. Just show how wide the lengths of covering on these aircraft were, this picture gives a good idea:

original-german-real-photo-zeppelin-1-db

There you go Adrian paragraphs of modelling related "wisdom" for you. Enjoy as I suspect it won't last for long. Sorry, should have said that with most of the "Usual Suspects" taking part in this thread, there is absolutely NO chance of it lasting for long.

In other and comradely news, congratulations @Chief Cohiba, in view of your contributions to this thread. we (That is the Martian we BTW) are graciously pleased to promote you to the rank of "Usual Suspect". This is considered a great honour, one that is coveted by many, and you are expected to keep up a stream of insane banter.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I can do either! Your cup must be running over!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Martian said:

an MG driver, snoring away in my TR!

It's those bloody sills!

He couldn't get his leg over!

(To get out, of course!)

Ian

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Brandy said:

It's those bloody sills!

He couldn't get his leg over!

(To get out, of course!)

Ian

Acherlley the old bus was so snoozy it just happened, one minute eyes open, next one? Gone zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, perdu said:

Acherlley the old bus was so snoozy it just happened,

Says a lot about it being a "sports" car!

Ian

(Ex MGB owner)

• Haha 6

On 5/15/2022 at 3:52 AM, AdrianMF said:

Wow! That’s a lot of gasbags!

The first reaction of many a new member of Britmodeller to some of the posts and their authors!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Martian said:

re graciously pleased to promote you to the rank of "Usual Suspect". This is considered a great honour, one that is coveted by many, and you are expected to keep up a stream of insane banter.

Oh, I feel! Very! Honoured! This is, well, the term "Honour" doesn't reach by far not far enough, much more, I'm drunken of joy, just like when I had too much of that pangalactic gargleblaster recently... 

But of course, dear Martian Sir and, you, my venerated community of fellow-suspects, I will try and do this promotion justice and continue in misbehaving properly as well as furthermore emanate only the weirdest of remarks, whatever the subject may be! 

*TheAustrianNavySalutestoMars*

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

This is considered a great honour

Possibly of course a misprint induced by typing* under the affluence your chiefship.

It might be, your honour, that our extraterrestrial mean to write HORROR.

We may never know...

*Spare underutilised tentacles getting in the way, style of thing.

• Haha 7

In my defence. I was ordered to occupy the recycling bin by the General. He said a night on 'stag' would do me good.

This was, however, after he'd made me drink a pint (or several) of his latest brew, Old Frog. A strong dark beer with a hint of citrus (I hope). 

I was only following orders, Honest Guv'.

• Haha 9