1 hour ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Chief Who? :whistle:

I have/had a time of my bench for some health reasons as well, but did start some slight sanding on the Walrus yesterday. But, just as you've mentioned it, I thought about starting my Q-Class as well. Will watch/comment/grumble in more frequently, I promise!

And all the best from Vienna, jawoll!

Sorry to hear you have been unwell. However I am led to believe by one Dr Quack-Melchett that Zeppelin worrying is good for one's health, if not one's sanity.

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Wow Marti! That soldering exercise has turned out very well.

Colin

Thanks Colin. Strangely enough, I am finding it rather therapeutic.

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, actually no, that's a BSTU (Beer Swilling Time Unit). A WSTU is 100 nano-seconds. Us red wine drinkers are much more genteel and civilized. 😉

Regards, Explanatory of Earth.

Many thanks for clearing that up Explanatory of Earth. I can see now why Australia is considered one of the booze capitals of the Galaxy. :drink:

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I had a feeling in my water that 'pronouncements' were being uttered in my ever-increasing absences, however now that I'm back, albeit temporarily, from the Land of my Fathers, I am aghast see the extent of the libelousness reigned upon me. Darling is incommunicado with my people who will be in touch with your people who, no doubt, will be back in touch with my people, (rinse and repeat). 

I am led to believe by one Dr Quack-Melchett that Zeppelin worrying is good for one's health, if not one's sanity.

Now there's a prime example. Dr Hubert Quack-Melchett, MD, GP, tree surgeon and part-time Mallard strangler has no place telling you such things, he should stick to his chosen profession of bird bothering in Hyde Park (the less said about that the better, suffice to say that most of the charges have since been dropped)... 

• Haha 5

Any relation to the phantom raspberry blower of old London town? Or did he use a common Duck whistle? (Asking for a friend, who happens to work at new Scotland yard)

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, general melchett said:

tree surgeon and part-time Mallard strangler

I thought I've already heard the reputation of this given gentleman is not impeccable. Should we trust him then in this delicate question of the effect Zeppelins/Zeppeline/Luftschiffe have on our eternal soul and wellbeing? I have the slightest of doubts here...

Oh, talking about Luftschiffe; did you know that in German the term "schiffen" also describes the activity that brings relief after having too much of Lager, Ale, Stout, or whatever one might have when work is done and pubs are open? In consequence, a "Luvschiffer" describes someone who couldn't be trusted on board a ship (even more so on a Zeppelin). 

Just in case you stumble across this term once... 

• Haha 7

23 hours ago, Martian said:

Sorry to hear you have been unwell.

Nothing serious, but other than Martians with your gazillion of tentacles we wimpy earthlings only have two hands. So if one is restricted we can't fulfill our modelling duties to full extend and the stash is getting higher and higher... 

(As an experienced modeller I can single handedly order new stuff with no further restrictions, of course - as I did. Correct typing is something else, I'm afraid...)

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Any relation to the phantom raspberry blower of old London town? Or did he use a common Duck whistle? (Asking for a friend, who happens to work at new Scotland yard)

I suspect that he was the Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town! I also suspect that your friend might actually be Inspector Corner of the Yard?

8 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Oh, talking about Luftschiffe; did you know that in German the term "schiffen" also describes the activity that brings relief after having too much of Lager, Ale, Stout, or whatever one might have when work is done and pubs are open? In consequence, a "Luvschiffer" describes someone who couldn't be trusted on board a ship (even more so on a Zeppelin). 

So,what your are saying is that no naked flame should be allowed near such a personage? Melchet.put that light out!

8 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Nothing serious, but other than Martians with your gazillion of tentacles we wimpy earthlings only have two hands. So if one is restricted we can't fulfill our modelling duties to full extend and the stash is getting higher and higher... 

Stop whingeing and get on with it!

Understanding of Mars 👽

• Haha 10

21 hours ago, Martian said:

I also suspect that your friend might actually be Inspector Corner of the Yard?

No one so common, This one's double hyphenated, Ivor Block-Paving. Weeding criminals from the cracks in society.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates recently but the first batch of Zeppelins have reached that stage of prime, sand, prime,sand that all models reach at some stage; which hardly makes for riveting viewing. Still, I did what I think is the final sanding session followed by some Mr Surfacer 1000 this morning and the Zepps should be good to go for a final prime of Mr Surfacer 1500 sometime tomorrow. As soon as that has had time to cure, we can move on to the much more interesting job of marking out where we want parts of the airships' structures showing through the top coats of various shades of linen. Some AK Extreme Metal duralumin paint arrived yesterday and this will be used on the gondolas. The gondolas have been primed and are now curing. I was very careful not to get the gondolas mixed up and marked the parts holders holding the gondolas for the P Class with an indelible marker. I also made a note on the cardboard that I am doing the spraying on as which holders were for the P Class so that,in theory at least, even I can't get things muddled! (Quiet those denizens of the Naughty Corner!).

I will get some pictures up when I have got the marking out of the structure under way.

Thanks for looking.

Martian von Covered in White Sanding Dust 👽*

*Bugger! I just realised that all that dust means a thorough clean and tidy of the Martian cave. Just about the job I hate the most in modelling.

105.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Mmmmm sausages 😂

I'm not a blimp man, although those that have met me would and have taken an opposing view, I have been dipping in and out of this thread, so much so that I have invested in a mini soldering iron and low melt solder.

Enjoying the drifts as much as the build

Box on

Strickers

• Like 4

They are looking great Martian.

My mind wandered then, thinking what brilliant targets they would make, with all that highly flammable gas inside ................ they are for the Target Facilities SIG aren't they? 😈

Terry

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Mmmmm sausages 😂

I'm not a blimp man, although those that have met me would and have taken an opposing view, I have been dipping in and out of this thread, so much so that I have invested in a mini soldering iron and low melt solder.

Enjoying the drifts as much as the build

Box on

Strickers

Thanks Strickers, glad you are enjoying the thread. If you do struggle with the soldering, @Heather Kayis our resident soldering guru and all round wise woman.

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow! That’s a lot of gasbags! You could always claim they are in their winter plumage…

Regards,

Adrian

If I wanted a real gasbag, I would be making a bust of @general melchett, there's enough hot air there to run every hypocaust in the entire Roman Empire!| Beeahus!

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

They are looking great Martian.

My mind wandered then, thinking what brilliant targets they would make, with all that highly flammable gas inside ................ they are for the Target Facilities SIG aren't they? 😈

Terry

Strange that Terry,I was only just wondering what excellent targets you new knees would make for my new blurglecruncheon mark. II.

Martian 👽

• Haha 11

If I wanted a real gasbag, I would be making a bust of general melchett, there's enough hot air there to run every hypocaust in the entire Roman Empire!| Beeahus!

Maximus nervi! quid cruentum maxillam.........et noli oblivisci omnes hypercaustae in imperialibus Mars  

a thorough clean and tidy of the Martian cave. Just about the job I hate the most in modelling.

Never have guessed, old sausage...how on Mars do you manage to shoehorn a spray booth/cardboard box into your TARDIS? :shrug:

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

As followers of this thread will already be aware,the construction of a miniature fleet of Zeppelins is only part of a wider display that I am creating. As such, I am doing a lot of research into Zeppelin raids on this country; especially the "Theatre Land" raid of the night of 13th/14th October 1915 that my Grandmother and Great Aunt were caught out in and in which they had their argument as to whether it was a Zeppelin they were looking at. Well, I was trying to find some newspaper reports on the raid and came across this, the front page of the "Daily Sketch" for 14th October 1915:

E5GH3E.jpg

Apart from the fact that it increases my bemusement that there was anything to argue about, the realisation that over a hundred years on,I am looking at exactly what the two ladies saw gives me a really strange feeling like I had been carried back in both time and space. Spooky (In best Scooby Doo voice) even.

Martian 👽

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, Martian said:

Apart from the fact that it increases my bemusement that there was anything to argue about, the realisation that over a hundred years on,I am looking at exactly what the two ladies saw gives me a really strange feeling like I had been carried back in both time and space. Spooky (In best Scooby Doo voice) even.

Martian 👽

Rut roe Shaggy.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Martian said:

As followers of this thread will already be aware,the construction of a miniature fleet of Zeppelins is only part of a wider display that I am creating. As such, I am doing a lot of research into Zeppelin raids on this country; especially the "Theatre Land" raid of the night of 13th/14th October 1915 that my Grandmother and Great Aunt were caught out in and in which they had their argument as to whether it was a Zeppelin they were looking at. Well, I was trying to find some newspaper reports on the raid and came across this, the front page of the "Daily Sketch" for 14th October 1915:

E5GH3E.jpg

Martian 👽

@Martian try this website - iancastlezeppelin.co.uk 

Also - Zeppelin Onslaught - The Forgotten Blitz 1914-1915 by Ian Castle

Hope this helps,

James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:12 AM, Martian said:

Just about the job I hate the most in modelling.

You should get a little woman in to do the dusting. Though if she's that small she'll not reach the high shelves.

That will involve a stepladder. Which means a health and safety course. Hmmm. This may require further thought... :think:

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You should get a little woman in to do the dusting. Though if she's that small she'll not reach the high shelves.

That will involve a stepladder. Which means a health and safety course. Hmmm. This may require further thought... :think:

My grandmother's cleaner was about 4'8", if that. If her legs hadn't been so bowed she'd have been at least 5'6"! And she had bright red hair. 

An absolute wonder of a woman though, I can still hear her broad Aberdeen accent.

RIP Alex!

Ian

• Like 4

1 hour ago, James S. said:

@Martian try this website - iancastlezeppelin.co.uk 

Also - Zeppelin Onslaught - The Forgotten Blitz 1914-1915 by Ian Castle

Hope this helps,

James

Thanks James, I have the book but have not checked out the website. Off to do it now.

1 hour ago, James S. said:

@Martian totally forgot about this one. ZEPPELINS AT WAR! 1914-1915   by R L Rimell

https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/zeppelins-at-war-1914-1915-973-p.asp

I have other books on the Zeppelin raids and the first blitz.

James

I have this one as well but thanks for pointing it out. Since I started this project,my Zeppelin library has risen from about three books on the subject to over forty and that's not counting the RNAS blimps!

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I ran this plan past the Little Woman and rather than the barrage of expletives I was expecting, she said she would happily clean and tidy the Martian Cave except for the fact that I wouldn't let her on the grounds that I would never be able to find anything: not that I can find anything as it is!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Anytime @Martian I have quite a lot of books on the first blitz and Zeppelin raids. A totally forgotten aspect of the First World War in many ways, just like the Gotha, AEG, & Friedrichshafen raids. 

• Like 1

Going cross eyed? You bet all twenty four of them!

Over the last few days I have been drawing in the locations of the wire bracing that shows through the linen covering of the P an Q Class ships; a sort of pre-shading if you will. I still have to decide how far forward and aft this effect needs to go so it's back to the books on that one. Also, still to be done is the structural effects on the tail surfaces.

A word of advice here, do not try and draw in the wires in one session. It takes a long time to do and as you tire, mistakes will start to creep in. I spent a good hour this morning correcting the ones I made when I should have put the model down and rested. My advice is to do this part of the build in half hour sessions.

I have made a start on the Q Class but this one is a bit behind as I discovered a few flaws around the tail that I had missed and had to sand them down and re-apply Mr Surfacer in the areas affected.

Thanks for looking and I hand back control of this thread to the Usual Suspects.

Martian 👽

106.jpg

107.jpg

• Like 14

For several deeply unsettling moments I was confronted by the prospect that this was going to be a representation of the little known Pringle night-camouflage scheme, responsible for causing such havoc amongst the 3rd Argyle Anti-Aircraft Rgt. on the night of 17th-18th October 1917 that the entire unit had to be removed from front-line service due to shattered morale occasioned by visions of 'The Great Sky Sock'.

8 hours ago, Martian said:

107.jpg

Many military historians consider this the first modern use of psyops. Except Max Hastings: he maintains it was a semi-religious hallucination on a par with 'The Ankle of Mons'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My thoughts too Tony, thought I'd seen that somewhere before, 

1-1000-F-185066006-dq-Jr-Ezg-FNJtmu9-E5-

The inspiration is obviously a result of the melding of his twin obsessions of gasbag modelling and deeply routed personal habits....an unholy alliance, even for a Martian...hold up, I'll get Gag Halfront on the line, he needs the money.

(public domain image, not Lady M, sadly)

• Haha 10

On 5/16/2022 at 7:42 PM, Martian said:

I ran this plan past the Little Woman and rather than the barrage of expletives I was expecting, she said she would happily clean and tidy the Martian Cave except for the fact that I wouldn't let her on the grounds that I would never be able to find anything: not that I can find anything as it is!

Mrs Galligraphics has often suggested that she be allowed to tidy my workshop and also my display shelves. As this would most likely involve the hiring of a skip, I have so far declined her kind offer…

• Like 1
  • Haha 4