Lovely soldiering there Martian, looking good. I guess the low atmos helps. 

I managed to dig out and bag up the bits you asked for but typically, Darling has managed to ‘misplace’ them. Following a sound thrashing meted out by the mem and her homemade blurglecruncheon, he’s now on jankers sifting through the sordid contents of his ‘hobby room’ to find them. As soon as he’s done so they’ll be on their way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/04/2022 at 07:26, corsaircorp said:

Splendiferous soldering dear Alien !!

Running out of beer ??

And did I read about ten ?? 10 ?? airships ???

CC

Thanks CC, yes you did read ten airships. I must be morphing into you; hang on, I'll just go and lock myself in the Naughty Corner.

28 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Lovely soldiering there Martian, looking good. I guess the low atmos helps. 

I managed to dig out and bag up the bits you asked for but typically, Darling has managed to ‘misplace’ them. Following a sound thrashing meted out by the mem and her homemade blurglecruncheon, he’s now on jankers sifting through the sordid contents of his ‘hobby room’ to find them. As soon as he’s done so they’ll be on their way.

Thanks Generalissimo. The trickiest part of the soldering is trying to get the iron into some of the more inaccessible areas of the outriggers. I will try and get some pictures of the completed P Class items up over the next day or so.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well my Dear Xenomorph....

As you refused my proposal for a burned down 1/72 Hindenburg !!

I have a far better idea !!

What about an Aircraft carrier Airship....

Up to you to choose USS Macon or USS Akron....

macon-flight-web-crop-1200x630

I even give you some inside details...

USS-Macon

And see, your soldering skills will be put on a good use, reproducing this !!

80-G-441979-e1440004310595

Aaaand there's even a kit for it !!

hqdefault

Don't thank me for the great inspiration !!

My pleasure !!

If you are morphing into a CC, this can be irresistible...:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Happy Easter to you all !!

Our Martian is giving us huuuuge oblong eggs.....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well my Dear Xenomorph....

As you refused my proposal for a burned down 1/72 Hindenburg !!

I have a far better idea !!

What about an Aircraft carrier Airship....

Up to you to choose USS Macon or USS Akron....

macon-flight-web-crop-1200x630

I even give you some inside details...

USS-Macon

And see, your soldering skills will be put on a good use, reproducing this !!

80-G-441979-e1440004310595

Aaaand there's even a kit for it !!

hqdefault

Don't thank me for the great inspiration !!

My pleasure !!

If you are morphing into a CC, this can be irresistible...:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Happy Easter to you all !!

Our Martian is giving us huuuuge oblong eggs.....

Sincerely.

CC

As it happens CC,I picked up this kit at Telford and have some Sparrowhawks to go with it. As for giving you huge oblong eggs, I thought it was just the Martian piles playing up again. :yikes:

Uncomfortable of Mars 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

or the R33 - DH53 Hummingbird and later Gloster Grebe

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-12878,_Englisches_

And I do have the Mark.1 Models 1/720 kit ofthe R.33/34 :hmmm:.........

Easily Led of Mars 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Martian said:

As it happens CC,I picked up this kit at Telford and have some Sparrowhawks to go with it. As for giving you huge oblong eggs, I thought it was just the Martian piles playing up again. :yikes:

Uncomfortable of Mars 👽

Great minds think alike !!

Congrats my dear Martian !!

CC

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Great minds think alike !!

Congrats my dear Martian !!

CC

Are the congrats for picking up the kit or for contracting Martian Piles?

Muddled of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

Compelling work on all the soldering/metal embellishments Martian. Jules Verne would swoon just looking at them; painted they're going to be look just sublime.

• Like 2

Dave, thanks for the info about the paper R101 models, and I will check that out. Paper models can make good templates to scale up or down for scratch builders.

Martian, thanks for the reminder yes I do recollect the old Frog R100 that you mentioned. It may well have been the R101's sister ship. I think that kit was issued back in the sixties.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Martian, thanks for the reminder yes I do recollect the old Frog R100 that you mentioned. It may well have been the R101's sister ship. I think that kit was issued back in the sixties.

The R.100 and the R.101 were built at the same time and to the same specification. It was decided that the R.100 would be a privately built project and the R.101 would be a government one in order to see which was the better way of designing and building airships in the future. The R.100 was a great success and as events were to so tragically prove, the R.101 was an abject failure. This was mostly down to the fact that the R.101 was always too heavy and even after being lengthened to fit extra gas cells,struggled to have a useful lifting capacity.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Belatedly, the after effects of Covid having slowed all Martian activity down considerably, but as promised, we have the pictures of the improved outriggers as fitted to my P Class kit. The increased height of the outriggers now means that the the kit propellers should fit without needing any modifications. Although the assembly looks complicated, it seems to get easier each time I make it and this set were done in a single session, albeit one of about four of your Earth time periods (Hours is what you call it?). The key to making these things seems to be making the Y frame accurately and here the time spent sitting down with drawing board to lay out the frame has certainly paid dividends. All that is necessary is to tape the three parts of the frame down over the plan cand carefully apply a small amount of solder. Interestingly, the heat transference from the flux to the paper is so small that, even though this is the fourth set I have made if one includes the first set that failed, I reckon I can get at least four more sets of frames from the one drawing. The only job left to do on the outriggers on the Takom kits is to popon a brass sleeve to the drive shafts to cover the gap between the gondolas and the driveshafts. This gap is intentional as I need to be able to fit and remove the gondolas during both the construction phases of the builds.

I like these Takom kits a lot and another Q Class landed at Martian Towers yesterday with an extra P Class winging its way from the Orient as I write these words. I think I may well add another Takom build to this thread, incorporating all of the shortcuts to making an easier build that I have worked out thus far on the project. I then expect to be able to sit back and enjoy watching some of you have a bash at this kit (Mentioning no names in particular @Chief Cohiba :oops:).

Anyway let's get down to the pictures and as always, thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

• Like 18

49 minutes ago, Martian said:

about four of your Earth time periods (Hours is what you call it?).

Gidday Martian, some of us Earthling measure time that way, others use WSTU, (wine scoffing time units), the time it takes to sip/drink/scull a glass of red.

BTW, the model's looking quite good - very good in fact, and more detailed with each post. With all those planned builds, Martian Towers could have a bit of a gas issue in the future. The General and Baldrick will probably feel right at home.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'll get my coat. Regards, chastised of Earth.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Martian, some of us Earthling measure time that way, others use WSTU, (wine scoffing time units), the time it takes to sip/drink/scull a glass of red.

BTW, the model's looking quite good - very good in fact, and more detailed with each post. With all those planned builds, Martian Towers could have a bit of a gas issue in the future. The General and Baldrick will probably feel right at home.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'll get my coat. Regards, chastised of Earth.

Thanks for that Jeff. As for the potential gas issue, @general melchett advises me that Baldrick can produce more than enough gas to fuel the entire project. All we need to do is insert a tube in the approved orifice, feed Bladers a particularly "ripe" turnip and nature will do the rest. I suppose if we are looking for a less"agricultural" and more eco-friendly solution, we can always get the General to breathe hot air into the Zepps.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Amazing work on the Zeppelin @Martian. Been following this build and what you have done only a Martian could do, no earthling could do it justice like you have. Been contemplating starting mine...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, James S. said:

Amazing work on the Zeppelin @Martian. Been following this build and what you have done only a Martian could do, no earthling could do it justice like you have. Been contemplating starting mine...

Go for it! They are great fun to build.

Martian 👽

11 hours ago, Martian said:

Thanks for that Jeff. As for the potential gas issue, @general melchett advises me that Baldrick can produce more than enough gas to fuel the entire project. All we need to do is insert a tube in the approved orifice, feed Bladers a particularly "ripe" turnip and nature will do the rest. I suppose if we are looking for a less"agricultural" and more eco-friendly solution, we can always get the General to breathe hot air into the Zepps.

Martian 👽

Wasn't the use in any form of  Baldrick's Postern emissions not banned under the Geneva Convention by a unanimous agreement from all parties? I believe there is still a moratorium on the Generals eruptions as well?

I also doubt you'd find anybody willing (even under threat of firing squad, or blurglechruncheoning) to go any where near any part of Baldrick that the pipe could be inserted.

• Haha 9

On 29/04/2022 at 16:01, ArnoldAmbrose said:

So, seeing as you are in Australia, one WSTU equates to one nano-second?

Curious pf Mars 👽

• Haha 5

This:

On 29/04/2022 at 15:04, Martian said:

104.jpg

- just make this over and over and I'll come back and like it every time. This is thrilling work to look at.

Sorry to hear of the lingering CV effects and fond wishes that they'll abate rapidly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

This:

- just make this over and over and I'll come back and like it every time. This is thrilling work to look at.

Sorry to hear of the lingering CV effects and fond wishes that they'll abate rapidly.

Thanks your Baronesship. I can see me starting another of the Takom kits before too long.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Martian said:

So, seeing as you are in Australia, one WSTU equates to one nano-second?

Gidday Martian, actually no, that's a BSTU (Beer Swilling Time Unit). A WSTU is 100 nano-seconds. Us red wine drinkers are much more genteel and civilized. 😉

Regards, Explanatory of Earth.

• Haha 4

On 4/29/2022 at 4:04 PM, Martian said:

Mentioning no names in particular

Chief Who? :whistle:

I have/had a time of my bench for some health reasons as well, but did start some slight sanding on the Walrus yesterday. But, just as you've mentioned it, I thought about starting my Q-Class as well. Will watch/comment/grumble in more frequently, I promise!

And all the best from Vienna, jawoll!

• Like 2